In Memory of 'Clipper Malay'

BAC

• 1 year later...

Nice model with a trully sad story behind it and very good tribute to your father!

I want to tell you also something private - Just after last midnight - I' ve just fall asleep when I wake up due to a very noisy, really unusual loud take off of an airplane - my badroom is about 1 km apart from the end of runway of Krakow airport.... Now I have check it here:

http://lotnictwo.net.pl/5-poszczegolne_lotniska/22-krakow_balice_epkk_krk/58810-informacje_z_ostatniej_chwili_przekierowania_podmiany_ciekawostki_2014_a-26.html

- and it was IAF, Boeing 707-316 C-H, No 88....Imagine, 707 are still flying around!

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• 3 years later...

Dear Brian, your tribute is beyond beautiful and touching. My niece's mother-in-law lost her mom on that flight. I am organizing a small gathering of crew & passengers' family and friends in New York this coming December, 12, 2018, for the 50th anniversary of the accident. In my 'research' I found you. 

How can I contact you? 

BTW: I am not the Queen of Airplanes by any means... My 4 year-old grandson calls me "The King of Airplanes" because I know a little, that's it.

Edited by Queen of Airplanes

Hello, BAC!! I don't see that I have posted anything here prior to this. I can't believe I hadn't. I saw your first posting several years ago while trying to find information on the crash of Clipper Malay. My aunt Anna Esther Rodriguez and 4 year old cousin Damaris Carrera where two victims on this flight. My family was never the same after this. My condolences to you as well for the loss of your father. Thank you for your write-up, it was the most information I have found to date on the internet. Wish I still lived in the New York area so I can go to that Gathering and December. I will let my sister know since she still does live in the area.

17 hours ago, teacupjunkie said:

Hello, BAC!! I don't see that I have posted anything here prior to this. I can't believe I hadn't. I saw your first posting several years ago while trying to find information on the crash of Clipper Malay. My aunt Anna Esther Rodriguez and 4 year old cousin Damaris Carrera where two victims on this flight. My family was never the same after this. My condolences to you as well for the loss of your father. Thank you for your write-up, it was the most information I have found to date on the internet. Wish I still lived in the New York area so I can go to that Gathering and December. I will let my sister know since she still does live in the area.

Very moving story, I am very sorry... Have you tried to send a message to BAC? His last visit on BM was in 9th January, so he does not vist very often the site, but maybe his message box is connected to his regular e-mail, as I have for intance...

Regards

J-W

On 9/26/2018 at 8:31 PM, Queen of Airplanes said:

Dear Brian, your tribute is beyond beautiful and touching. My niece's mother-in-law lost her mom on that flight. I am organizing a small gathering of crew & passengers' family and friends in New York this coming December, 12, 2018, for the 50th anniversary of the accident. In my 'research' I found you. 

How can I contact you? 

BTW: I am not the Queen of Airplanes by any means... My 4 year-old grandson calls me "The King of Airplanes" because I know a little, that's it.

Please count me in. I lost my aunt AND my cousin (who was 4 years old at time) on that flight.

An amazing tribute, and emotional account. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am always amazed when someone builds with such a personal connection. I wonder if you felt the wonder and joy of your father's life, career, and pleasure over you as you studied and brought together this amazing model...? I certainly hope so. You have most assuredly enhanced this community with your story first, and your build second. Helps us to remember the machines we enjoy reproducing in miniature are real, and lovely, and a testament to man's ingenuity and intelligence.

The Heller 707 build is by no means "straight forward," if you want to get it right. The pictures show you've done your research and did indeed "get it right." A beautiful model done well, and the livery is beautiful. Pan Am, in its simplicity, loaned grace to these beautiful airplanes, and you have captured it in your effort. I've built two of these beasts, and they are not easy...but they are very rewarding with patience and persistence. Thought I'd share my two with you below....

DSC_0752

Braniff 707

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 1:00 PM, JWM said:

Very moving story, I am very sorry... Have you tried to send a message to BAC? His last visit on BM was in 9th January, so he does not vist very often the site, but maybe his message box is connected to his regular e-mail, as I have for intance...

Regards

J-W

If any of you hear from BAC, please let him know to contact me. We are planning a small gathering this Dec 12, 2018 on the 50th anniversary of the accident to honor the victims and their loved ones. Thans!!!

Hello Bac,

Excellent model and a great tribute to your father.

Going to do some more info regarding this accident.

Regards, Dirk / The Netherlands.

What a wonderful tribute, beautifully done! Add to that one of the most moving background stories I've ever read. Thanks so much for sharing!

Ian

On 10/14/2018 at 2:44 AM, Queen of Airplanes said:

If any of you hear from BAC, please let him know to contact me. We are planning a small gathering this Dec 12, 2018 on the 50th anniversary of the accident to honor the victims and their loved ones. Thans!!!

BAC is also active on the Airfix Tribute Forum so you may have more luck contacting him there:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=18

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2011 at 5:10 PM, Navy Bird said:

Your father and mother are both very proud of you. You chose a most memorable way to honor your Dad, and it's obvious how much love went into your building of the Clipper Malay. Now that your parents are back together again, I'm sure your Dad is giving your Mom an inside tour of the Clipper. Godspeed to both of them!

Respectfully,

Bill

Well spoken, Bill. I cannot add anything that hasn't already been said by the others. What a wonderful tribute to your father, and I am so thankful that you shared such a great model and such a poignant personal story with the rest of us. You take good care of that 707, you hear?

Mike

Hello!

The other day I had a call out of the blue from member 'Mark'. During our conversation he mentioned this thread had come up again and that there were some relatives of those who perished in the accident and who found out about this story on here from internet searches.

Firstly it's unreal that it's coming up to 10 years since I built this model, to quote Pink Floyd from their song 'Time', ''And one day you find ten years have got behind you''.

Secondly I haven't posted on this or any other modelling site for ages for the simple reason I've been too busy with other things over the past three years or so and modelling has taken a back seat. I hope to get back into it soon.

Thank you for the recent kind comments.

There is more information for those interested on this site;

http://www.josephclan.com/tjblog/?p=942

Regards

Brian

• Like 1