Pegasus EAP kit

Glen

Hi all

I acquired a Pegasus 1/72 EAP model recently. I know it is pretty rough and ready but I also recall reading a while back that it is under sized - it certainly appears that way when compared with the plans I have. I did see an article/pictures many moons back of one that somebody had altered to bring it up to 1/72 (possibly in Airfix magazine or Scale Models). Does anyone have a copy of the article as I can't track it down in any of my issues, or have any thoughts on the kit (good or bad!)

Cheers

Glen

Edited by Glen

The question of size is an interesting one, and I recall much debate about it back in the days before the internet. The basic 'problem' appeared to be that the plans were based round a set of measurements that either did or did not include the pitot in the overall length. One set of plans took the measurements as including the pitot and scaled the drawings accordingly, the other did the opposite. Can't recall which was correct!!

Dont know about the size, but I DO know it's a putty monster! Here's a tip, when you install the intake box, leave some sprue attached, it will give you a mount for the nose u/c. Varnish the decals before use, unless you want to paint them on. Makes a pretty kit, I must finish the cheat lines.

In terms of finished items, it's about as rare as the Mach 2 Valiant: most people give up!

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

In terms of finished items, it's about as rare as the Mach 2 Valiant: most people give up!

Seconded!

Mine ended up as a whif - I could never get the fwd and rear fuselage to blend adequately, or the canopy to fit.

There is almost more putty than plastic here: :(

EAP.jpg

• Like 1

That's a coincidence, I was just perusing the one in my stash the other day thinking it might be a fun (?) build. (I am re-discovering my stash which, with all our household belongings, has just come out of 3 years storage in a warehouse in New Hampshire!)

I didin't know there was some doubt as to the accuracy of the scale.

I assume you found this article?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/models/proto/protobrit2.htm

David

Hi

Having lurked with an occasional posting, thought that I would contribute here. I made this model many years ago, also as a Whif, the colour scheme owes something to the 111 Sqn Phantom I saw at a Leuchars airshow. The varnish has yellowed slightly , however I don't remember it requiring large amounts of filler. I have photographed the model against the plans in the Barrie Hygate book and this seems to indicate that the size is about right and may only be marginally short and a bit broad on the spine. Not my first choice of modelling efforts to dsplay on the forum..... so be kind.

Peter

EAP1.jpg

EAP2.jpg

EAP3.jpg

EAP4.jpg

• Like 1

That is very nice. Knowing what a pig it is.

Actually been adding the cheat line to mine tonight, it's been sitting on the bookcase for the last two years waiting to be completed. My decals fell apart, so I had to paint the fin markings, just looking at doing the 'EAP' letters for the fin now.

I'll post it when it's done. (Don't hold your breath)

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

This is as far as my one has got:

DSC01346.jpg

DSC01345.jpg

I'm building it for my old boss who was the 'Runner' (Flight Test Operations Engineer) for this aircraft at Warton back in the 80's. He went on to become Hawk Flight Test Manager and retired about 18 months ago.

I'm planning to upgrade it slightly with the back end of a Revell Tornado GR.1.

A very good reference is EAP Aeroguide Special by Bill Gunston and Mike Keep (ISBN 0-946958-22-x)

As you can see though, 'agricultural' is probably the best description!

Thanks for the warning about the decals though.

Rob M.

Edited by Rob M.

Problem was, it was really too big for the moulding technology Chris had at the time, so he had to do the fuselage in 5 parts. At the time, we all reckoned it was only a matter of time before Airfix did it anyway... :(

I remember Chris talking at one show about how he had thought about the TSR2, but the size of it meant the fuselage would need to be in about 10 pieces

• 3 years later...

Hi

Having lurked with an occasional posting, thought that I would contribute here. I made this model many years ago, also as a Whif, the colour scheme owes something to the 111 Sqn Phantom I saw at a Leuchars airshow. The varnish has yellowed slightly , however I don't remember it requiring large amounts of filler. I have photographed the model against the plans in the Barrie Hygate book and this seems to indicate that the size is about right and may only be marginally short and a bit broad on the spine. Not my first choice of modelling efforts to dsplay on the forum..... so be kind.

Peter

EAP1.jpg

EAP2.jpg

EAP3.jpg

EAP4.jpg

Hi Peter,i was wondering,do you still have the plans that you used during this build,if so would it be bossible to get a scan copy of them please, have been looking at getting a copy of the book but its a tad expensive ,many thanks in advance,best regards.....Neil

Dambuster, that's a lovely job on a pig of a kit..... I drag mine out of the stash about once a decade, shudder, then put it away again!

I thought Freightdog released a far superior one recently & planned to re-release it again soon? Anyone have any info on this?

Doug

Edited by DougC

I thought Freightdog released a far superior one recently & planned to re-release it again soon? Anyone have any info on this?

They did indeed. I have it and it is lovely - far far better than the Pegasus kit. It hasn't been available for a while but will apparently be re-released at some point soon. Mine will probably be getting built next wear to sit with a 1/72 Typhoon and mark 10 years since the first production Typhoon flew from Warton...

Hi Guys,

These are pictures of mine. This involved a heavy conversion of the kit - that included extending the rear fuselage with a pair of styrene tubes using the Aviation News plan as reference (same plan in the Aerofax guide which I also have. I'm convinced that mine is pretty accurate although I wish the wing tip pitots were better, shape and size wise, its as per plan. The decals are cut from Xtradecal blue and white decal film and the logo came with the kit but the triangle is masked and brushed. a lot of work but it can be done! The Typhoon makes an interesting comparison!

EAP1.jpg

EAP3.jpg

EAP2.jpg

EAP5.jpg

EAP4.jpg

It is worth the effort!

Simon

• Like 1

Hi

Peter

Peter, I think that the problem with the kit's accuracy stemmed from the fact that Pegasus actually used the Hygate plans which subsequently turned out to be a bit awry...

Nige

Best of luck to you. I made one in the late eighties when the real thing was out and about. Like others have suggested i used bits of discarded Tornado. I can distinctly remember the wings not being a good match shape and thinkness wise and it seemed that the kit pushed Chris's moulding machine to the limit and possibly a bit beyond

From a build point of view I found that the core of the kit to get right was the two rear fuselage halves and the fuselage underside, once I got a reasonable fir on those the rest of the kit seemed to work, although a stuggle.. Like others have said, be prepared to use of lot of filler and patience and stock up on expletives. Sadly mine went to the scrap heap some years ago. Despite its problems it was still a better kit than the Merlin TSR2, which I actually got as far putting the airframe together