1/48 Focke Wulf FW-190 D-9

OK, here's my latest build, which is the Italeri 1/48 FW-190 D-9 Dora. It's built out of the box apart from some self made seatbelts, and the addition of an EagleCal decal sheet. Paints are a mix of Gunze Sangyo, Tamiya, and Xtracrylix.

The build had a number of firsts for me, as I was pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. I was hoping to produce a good result as it's only my second Luftwaffe build. First included - Making seatbelts properly (sort of!), Using Mr Surfacer, Paint Chipping, Proper Exhast staining, proper freehand airbrushing (the whole thing apart from the 2 tail stripes was done freehand), first time using my new HP-C+ airbrush :D , and Oil washes! Lots of new things there, and I'm happy with the results of all of them.

Overall I've surprised myself with this one, and am incredibly happy with it, although there are still lots of areas for improvement! There are a number of little things that still need to be done yet. I'm still undecided as to whether to have the canopy open or closed, so the aerial from the canopy to tail has not yet been added. I also will add a droptank as soon as I find a kit with the later type in there, this one only had the rounded one in it. I also need to add the wingtip lights as well. But as things stand, I'm considering it finished for now ;)

The build thread is HERE

As always, I'm very open to comments and critiques, so please feel free to fire away with them :winkgrin:

Right, enough waffle... onto the pics!!

7f8b39dd.jpg

97f1173a.jpg

69c879b6.jpg

6e5d9a01.jpg

bfc1a2f7.jpg

847b0f26.jpg

8979b2e4.jpg

23d72937.jpg

1138847b.jpg

2057f078.jpg

51938626.jpg

4f3ecd9d.jpg

1138847b.jpg

86b9c3b1.jpg

ac3d5a6f.jpg

a1670b92.jpg

e567947d.jpg

Well, there we go! Apologies for the number of pics as I was getting carried away :blush:

Hope you like the results!

Karl.

Well don't know much about Germanic stuff but that looks like a really great build, and with so many firsts tried out that's a bonus.

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

Karl,

I know bugger all about Fw190s except how to tell what they look like :shrug: However, as a model, this is a very smart bit of kit :worthy:

Bex

Gets my vote mate - lovely build & finish!

Nice to see a late war LW model that isn't a patchwork of different shades too! and if thats your first freehand airbrush camo - then I'd say you have nowt to worry about!

Just remember (though I'm sure you know this) the RT aerial wire wasn't on a tensioning system on late Ds - so it will hang loose if you choose to have the canopy open.

Thanks for the showing the model, its reminded me that I have a 190 in the stash, Hmm....

regards

Jonners

Wow, thanks peeps! Glad you all like it... thanks for the nice things said!

Gets my vote mate - lovely build & finish!

Nice to see a late war LW model that isn't a patchwork of different shades too! and if thats your first freehand airbrush camo - then I'd say you have nowt to worry about!

Just remember (though I'm sure you know this) the RT aerial wire wasn't on a tensioning system on late Ds - so it will hang loose if you choose to have the canopy open.

Thanks for the showing the model, its reminded me that I have a 190 in the stash, Hmm....

regards

Jonners

Jon,

Yes, thanks... that's one of the reasons why I haven't decided on the open/closed canopy yet. My aim is to have it open, but it depends on whether I can get something to look 'right' in the hanging pose as to whether I do or not.

Get building that 190 then, I've grown a passion for them after this one!!

Karl.

Wow, thanks peeps! Glad you all like it... thanks for the nice things said!

Jon,

Yes, thanks... that's one of the reasons why I haven't decided on the open/closed canopy yet. My aim is to have it open, but it depends on whether I can get something to look 'right' in the hanging pose as to whether I do or not.

Get building that 190 then, I've grown a passion for them after this one!!

Karl.

hi Karl - try this link

http://hsgalleries.com/fw190d9black1cw_1.htm

Though its hard to see - Chris Wauchop always seems to get these things looking right.

HTH a bit

Jonners

PS dragging my eduard 190 out of the stash this weekend - might be just the thing - as I've stalled a bit on my F-16 build and need a good KUTA to get my KUTA Mossie sorted :)

hi Karl - try this link

http://hsgalleries.com/fw190d9black1cw_1.htm

Though its hard to see - Chris Wauchop always seems to get these things looking right.

HTH a bit

Jonners

PS dragging my eduard 190 out of the stash this weekend - might be just the thing - as I've stalled a bit on my F-16 build and need a good KUTA to get my KUTA Mossie sorted :)

Consider a KUTA adminstered then :lol: Get the mossie and the 190 done!! ;)

Yep, that's exactly what I'm thinking on the aerial, just need to find the best way of making it look right.

Karl.