My Telic Bird!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again folks, progress has been VERY slow and complete with added setback.

firstly after the flap sessions and finally getting them acceptable, I found myself in an unusual position in that I had three sets of wing boots to choose from, the kits, the paragon and the Flightpathe set. (al you watchin?) I chose the flightpath set and immediatly became bogged down with em.

The reason? They are slightly too large for the apetures in the assembled rear section so I had to manipulate them to fit. Can I follow instructions or not?

Anyhow, I hope they will look better with a little paint on them.

DSC_0053.jpg

Immediately after completing the exercise I dropped it! slats flaps and rear elevators everywhere! At that point my F117 beckoned then i thought of modelling the very rarely seen GR 5 1/4, but sense prevailed and I continued with the rebuild. Im just lucky none of the resin split! here she is post repair

DSC_0051-1.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

As its a GR4A the slir windows and linescan module went on, and I experimented with the window colouring which I think looks about right and will use on the final paint.

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

To increase the pain i'm modelling my a/c with the auxillary intake doors open.

DSC_0054.jpg

Oh and the uc legs are assembled and ready for washing.

DSC_0055.jpg

Edited by Phartycr0c

Good save there mate. You'd never know it had already been for its first flight.

I notice the Paragon and Flightpath wingfold gloves are both too big for the kit holes. I also saw (from his build pages) that The Mighty Ted thought there was some problem with the dimensions of the kit in this area, so it may well be that Revell have shortened the fuselage between the wing gloves and the tailerons, though i've never seen it get slated for this before (of course, it's not made by Trumpeter so everyone probably let them off).

I've decided to use the kit gloves and adapt them with foil and milliput. We shall see!

You are a glutton for punishment mate. Why don't you do a few open avionics panels too!!

Do you know, I seriously considered doing just that as im lucky enough to have another one of these with the CAM details and another Paragon flap set but I figured that all the detail on one Tornado would probably be too much.

I also thought (albeit VERY briefly) about doing both builds at the same time but saw sense. I will be having a Tornado break following this one, but Im still debating wether to do another Telic, a Granby a GR1, 4 or go all out and to an F3 conversion if I can get hold of a kit but thats for another occasion.

Al your right you know, Looking at the kit against some walkaround photos, the distance between the back of the wing gloves and the elevators has definately been reduced.

Spike, Ive found the two (potential) apu exhausts, wherabouts is the third? Ill get on and open em up!

Edited by Phartycr0c

Do you know, I seriously considered doing just that as im lucky enough to have another one of these with the CAM details and another Paragon flap set but I figured that all the detail on one Tornado would probably be too much.

I also thought (albeit VERY briefly) about doing both builds at the same time but saw sense. I will be having a Tornado break following this one, but Im still debating wether to do another Telic, a Granby a GR1, 4 or go all out and to an F3 conversion if I can get hold of a kit but thats for another occasion.

Al your right you know, Looking at the kit against some walkaround photos, the distance between the back of the wing gloves and the elevators has definately been reduced.

Spike, Ive found the two (potential) apu exhausts, wherabouts is the third? Ill get on and open em up!

The is one just behind the Navs left shoulder by the canopy & two,(one either side) by the gun ports.

LossieA0862.jpg

Having "beaten" the detail on the seats, Im afraid to say that the past two evenings spent forming up the tail pipes, they have well and truly beaten me and iv'e reverted to the kit pipes.

Im that p'd off im not even going to bother posting pics. It's not the etchings which are fine, Its just that I cant get the three seperate rings which form the pipes, to sit concentrically. As for my soldering skills, forget it!. I had to attempt soldering as CA glue jut will not hold the circles strongly enough.

Fat fingers im afraid!

Anyhow, finishing up the front is next!.

Edited by Phartycr0c

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, time for a very quick update as not much really, has been going on with this build. Not because iv'e sat and left it or anything but purely because there is so much stuff in the Flightpath set, and it is so intricate, that I feel im not making much progress and not likely to finish within the deadline but anyhow its begining to look something like.

Since my last update, when I scrapped the Flightpath tailpipes (to fat fingers!) I have built the tanks and pods, Including getting some paint on the Tiald eh Al :winkgrin: , stuffed the front onto the back end and finished the auxillary air inlets, detailed the air brake compartments, and finished the kit jetpipes.

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0040-1.jpg

DSC_0042-1.jpg

The jetpipes were sprayed with Humbrol silver 11 and their metallic dark grey 20003 and when dry buffed up to a "shine" . The intricate frets for the burner ring are a work of art in fact the whole Flightpath set is just that but it can be very fiddly... be warned!

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045-1.jpg

Onwards and upwards

Oh By the way with this build im going to attempt to heavilly weather the colours as all the Telic birds had a light grey (barley) alkaline removeable temp finish (ARTF) and as a result after a bit of action they started to look a bit rough but this is what Im aiming for

dirty tornado!Image courtesy of Airliners.net

Edited by Phartycr0c

This is coming out very nicely mate.

Any ideas how you're going to get that worn finish - start dark and add the lighter paint, or basecoat the light and add the dark over the top? Or what?

I'm pleased to say mine (no. 18 on this page) was given a nice fresh coat of paint and new nose art prior to the photo sesh so it will be nigh on pristine!

M8 That is one nice scheme, where are the tail decals coming from? If you say your going to paint em ill give up now!

Had a little practice with one of the Hindenburger tanks and what im going to attempt is a type of pre shading. Im going to paint the whole AC dark grey then overpaint in Barley grey, and rub patches away with a little thinner or sommat. Prolly ruin the whole thing but unless one tries one just doesnt know!

Guys only a little progress since my last update but I think i may have scored a Hi coo!

Noting Als problems with the canopy fogging I promptly started a few experiments Using a scrap 1/32 tornado canopy I had lying around (only joking Al ) it was actually off one of my kids busted models, I started playing with different glues I had available.

1. UHU standard dries clear but takes an age to do so. No ill effects on the canopy.

2 PVA likewise

3. "Standard" superglue Fog City as expected,

4. Humbrol Clearfix, Rubbish for sticking external framework to clear parts but superb for fixing clear parts to the kit itself, Fills gaps and dries clear.

Now im sure you guys have probably heared all this before BUT here is my discovery!!! using This stuff does not appear to fog the canopy no matter what or how many times I tried to stick to it! ultimately I ended up with a Tomcat canopy with bits of brass stuck to it both inside and out.

Let me clarify method. I first fitted the framework, and painted same inside and bent to shape, Then I dripped some of the glue into a gash lid. left if for a couple of seconds, then using a fine pointet scriber, spread the glue on the top of the frame. Aligned it, let it set then carefully lifting the unstuck parts added tiny amounts of the glue around the remaining frame.

Et Voila! stick like s**t to a blanket and no fogging.

The only explaination I have is that pouring it into the dish allows the initial fumes to disperse enough for them not to affect the canopy

Anyhow results are here!

DSC_0046-1.jpg

DSC_0047-2.jpg

DSC_0048-1.jpg

And its stuff like this that seriously delays builds!

Hi Pharty,

Cheers for the build tip, I had been mulling over what glue type to use for the Tonka canopy because there is so much brass to stick to it! Keep up the good work, between you and Al figuring out all the pitfalls of a 1/32 Tornado build before I do, I will be set! :thumbsup: Keep up the great work on the TELIC bird mate.

James

Let me clarify method. I first fitted the framework, and painted same inside and bent to shape, Then I dripped some of the glue into a gash lid. left if for a couple of seconds, then using a fine pointet scriber, spread the glue on the top of the frame. Aligned it, let it set then carefully lifting the unstuck parts added tiny amounts of the glue around the remaining frame.

Top tip mate, the mystery remains why Zap a Gap worked for you but not for me!!!

I'll have another go with contacta special, otherwise, re-dip my canopies and try a more sparing application!

Why didn't you paint the brass before attaching? Now you have to mask it!!

Top tip mate, the mystery remains why Zap a Gap worked for you but not for me!!!

It could have been something as daft as ventilation/airflow, humidity when you did it - that sort of thing. Did you know that there is a "no fog" CA for sale somewhere. I've seen it for sale, but not got any. Might be worth looking it out for future use?

It could have been something as daft as ventilation/airflow, humidity when you did it - that sort of thing. Did you know that there is a "no fog" CA for sale somewhere. I've seen it for sale, but not got any. Might be worth looking it out for future use?

Tamiya make a " No Fog CA glue" I think i've seen it on the Lucky model website ?

Might be worth checking out

Regards

Dan

Al I, as far as possible, mask all my canopies so they get sprayed with the model. Spraying gives better finish IMHO.

I know its a pain but I also use the canopy as a mask for the cockpit if that makes sense.

I know its a pain but I also use the canopy as a mask for the cockpit if that makes sense.

I've had to knock that idea on the head as the screens interfere with the canopy. I have another trick up my sleeve though!