My Telic Bird!

Pharty,

Here's the pics of the canopy sills on my Flightpath build. I didn't fit the "drop-down" ones as they will need chopping up to fit. You're welcome to try!

37.jpg

Starboard side:

38.jpg

Port side (same):

39.jpg

Hope this helps.

Pharty it looks like your FLIR is white metal and the LRMTS is resin (both resin on my set) - did they require much fettling to fit, cos mine look like strangers!

Also, did you add the LRMTS framing/glazing before fitting or after? Or are you going to paint it first?

I'm at that stage and if you can offer any gems i'd be happy to take em!

EDIT: cheers Spike but it's for Pharty's reference not for show!

Edited by PHaTNesS

Pharty it looks like your FLIR is white metal and the LRMTS is resin (both resin on my set) - did they require much fettling to fit, cos mine look like strangers!

Also, did you add the LRMTS framing/glazing before fitting or after? Or are you going to paint it first?

I'm at that stage and if you can offer any gems i'd be happy to take em!

EDIT: cheers Spike but it's for Pharty's reference not for show!

As the deadline for tihis GB draws closer,I'm going to start drinking...

HEAVILY!

AL, Both the FLIR and LRMTS were white metal in my kit

ALL the references I checked showed the FLIR housing to be shorter than the LRMTS when taken from the point in the glazing to the rear of the unit.

and that supplied in the Flightpath kit appears too long.

Take a look here.

The FLIR housing i fitted is from the kit with the kit glazing and painted roughly then the glazing copped for a coat of Maskol ready for the paint shop.

Now Ive got to get a move on to make the deadline! (which I doubt).

Cheers for the ref photos BTW very helpful.

Edited by Phartycr0c

Ok folks, Got paint on the bird!!! Yay. I am however rushing this a little to make the deadline, Iv'e never seen so much dust in the paintwork! When der she will get a thorough wash to get rid of the nasties.

Anyhow taking into account im looking to model a dirty bird, the tecnique I used for the worn patches im really pleased with.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

And im starting to paint the ordinance and stuff!

DSC_0006.jpg

In short I painted the whole aircraft Dark camo grey, the original colour before the ARTF was applied. When dry I wet the "worn" areas with a little soapy water and sprinkled it with table slat which acted as a mask, then sprayed away as normal.

When dry i rubbed the salt off leaving the results as above.

Anyhow, loads left to do I only hope I can make it!

TTFN

Aah, the old 'salt crystal technique', I saw that on ARC.....the weathering looks really great Pharty. What paint did you use? It looks pretty smooth to me! I was wondering whether to go down the enamel or acrylic route, I will be weathering quite a bit like yourself, so maybe enamle is more durable. I hope to canvas some opinion on that one.

Keep it up. let's see her finished!

James

Ok folks, Got paint on the bird!!! Yay. I am however rushing this a little to make the deadline, Iv'e never seen so much dust in the paintwork! When der she will get a thorough wash to get rid of the nasties.

Anyhow taking into account im looking to model a dirty bird, the tecnique I used for the worn patches im really pleased with.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

And im starting to paint the ordinance and stuff!

DSC_0006.jpg

In short I painted the whole aircraft Dark camo grey, the original colour before the ARTF was applied. When dry I wet the "worn" areas with a little soapy water and sprinkled it with table slat which acted as a mask, then sprayed away as normal.

When dry i rubbed the salt off leaving the results as above.

Anyhow, loads left to do I only hope I can make it!

TTFN

Hi James. thanks for the positive vibes. Enamel (humbrol 167 ) does appear to be a little more resillient than the acrylics but i have been spraying lots of thinned down layers hence the chance for the dust bunnies to accumulate!

Thats it! its all over! This is the end of my "challenge"

Ive reached the stage where the paint was on, Klear 'd and all the ordinance etc was together.

Then Disaster. I started decalling then it became apparent that I appear to have oversprayed with completely the wrong shade of Light grey.

Having checked what references I could in relation to the ARTF applied to the Telic Tornado's I settled on Humbrol 156 Dark camo grey and 167 Barley grey as called out by the Euro decals sheet.

Believe me when I say the deliberation took an age as I had a doubt that the barley grey wasnt light enough. This was confirmed when I placed the first dark grey decal onto the tail it was hardly visible against the light grey secondly the "faded" tail markings not only stand out like the proverbial but they are the wrong shape in that they dont sit against the profile of the rudder seam.

All in all I have sweated tears over this build only to ruin it by not listening to my instinct but there you go. Thanks for watching im now in two minds as to what to do with this!

:doh:

I don't quite get what you mean about the faded tail markings Dave.

BUT - can you remedy the paintwork and redo the decals? I will definitely have the spares you want off my Eurodecals sheet as I will not be using any of the nosearts/tail numbers you are using.

PM me if you need anything. Don't give up on it bud, you've come too far now.

Al

Thanks guys,

This is what I have

Al, the tail flash should lie against the rudder edge a la this

1020154.jpg

not this

DSC_0007.jpg

as for the overall colour, Looking at the comparison I feel mine should be a lot lighter.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

I think ill go with what ive got with the caveat that its not entirely accurate,and Merv a two week extension wiould be great! .

I'd say the overall colour looks about right to be honest. The jet in the photgraph is far lighter in colour than anything I've seen, whereas yours is pretty much spot on. To be honest, there are no two jets on our line the same colour anyway!

Thom

To me the colour looks OK, maybe a bit dark but not far off, maybe to do with the darker colour underneath.

check out this one:

617_sixtieth.jpg

Anyway, if you decide to strip it off and go again, the offer of the decs still stands.

Hot off the press! shes back in the paint shop!

Ive put a little maskol over Scooby Daphne and the other decals ive done so far so ill let you know how it ends up!

standby on that offer al!

Edited by Phartycr0c

Ok Daphne and Scooby have come out the closet and here they are.

Im definately happier with the overall colour now and have a little touching up round the decals ( fading ) but that will apply to them all when I finish decaling

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0013-2.jpg

DSC_0012-2.jpg

Seriously folks what do you think?

Ok Daphne and Scooby have come out the closet and here they are.

Im definately happier with the overall colour now and have a little touching up round the decals ( fading ) but that will apply to them all when I finish decaling

Seriously folks what do you think?

Looking good.

oh,dug this Telic Zap off my HD if it's any use?

Merv

optelic.gif

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/spike7451/optelic.gif

M8 Thats going straight onto the display base! thats outstanding.

The Euro decal sheet includes that logo and the references Ive got show that some of the Telic jets had that logo on the Tailfin. I cant find a reference as to wether ZG 714 had it applied or not.

You're right about the colour, looks much better.

Can you cut down one of the other fin flash decals to the correct angle and use it? Just a thought.

Looking very nice now! :thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

So here they are, a very dirty Daphne and Scooby!

DSC_0045-2.jpg

DSC_0049-2.jpg

DSC_0050-1.jpg

DSC_0053-1.jpg

DSC_0054-1.jpg

Having decalled up the aircraft I suddenly realised that they were far too bright for a work worn aircraft so I lightly went over each decal in an attempt to reproduce fading and the ARTF finish peeling off. I think its come out ok.

A Final heavy wash with some very thinned down enamel paint et Voilla now its over to you lot for the judgement!

Edited by Phartycr0c
  • Like 1

Great work Dave, you nailed it in the end.

The result more than makes up for the earlier trouble you had with the paint, full marks for persevering with it, it's definitely one to be proud of fella!

:goodjob:

Al