Revell C17

BigReg

I think the cockpit and windows were based on a DC10 at some stage in life,

I've never seen anything official, but it looks nearly identical to me (minus the eyebrow and cheek windows):

http://tinyurl.com/5fynwj

http://tinyurl.com/6rubc9

What does this mean for modelers? You could probably use 1/144 DC-10 decal windows for the cockpit if the clear versions aren't to your liking. I imagine most will leave them clear, however.

Mike

Indeed, in 7 years we have beaten the 15 years of the U.S jets in airframe hours, and thats why we now have them on a permanent basis, cant say about hours for pilots though, i'll have to ask...

Might want to get more of them, eh?

Cant even afford housing never mind airframes! Bear in mind with the Yanks, last time I transited through Incirlik, there were more USAF C-17s sitting there awaiting spares than we had in our whole fleet. I can see why revell made that decision, add to that the liscencing costs for the roundels etc and there you go.

I'd have thought at least 1, maybe 2 in the short term? ;)

G.

Easier said than done Mike... defence spending is not de rigeur these days in the UK :shrug:

Unfortunately, US defense spending hasn't kept pace with operational requirements either. The silver lining is probably that Boeing is gathering some great fatigue data on those RAF airframes. That and you guys have bragging rights. Are RAF birds all LAIRCM-euipped? I didn't see that option in the Revell kit.

Looks like NATO is eyeballing 3 C-17's for purchase, too.

The LAIRCM blisters appears to be moulded into the kit, not an option, but no turrets. And yes all of our have it, an operational requirement.

Seems simple enough to scratch the turret in 1/144...

1338638479_0ce4b75993_b.jpg

Seems simple enough to scratch the turret in 1/144...

Not too tricky at all. I've just been reading about our C-17s, and they're structurally & functionally identical to their US counterparts... only difference being those roundels and in addition to coffee, tea is also served on the Brit ones ;)

So basically the decal sheet has more than is actually shown in the pictures (!?) Also, ZZ173 has been attacked by Aussies with a paintbrush while away in the last two weeks, so now has rearing black stallions painted on the intakes and tail! While not possible to put graffiti on a decals sheet, it may have to be added to mine!

Black stallions on the intakes? Do you have any pics? Or do you mean the intake covers?

If I could work out how to post images, I'd post a shot of the intake covers.

So basically the decal sheet has more than is actually shown in the pictures (!?) Also, ZZ173 has been attacked by Aussies with a paintbrush while away in the last two weeks, so now has rearing black stallions painted on the intakes and tail! While not possible to put graffiti on a decals sheet, it may have to be added to mine!

I think the cockpit and windows were based on a DC10 at some stage in life, and if you're building a jet with LAIRCM full fitted, you will need to add the front two turrets!

Who Said Australians Don't have Humor :goodjob: ,

so to all the Brits if we win the next ashes series, you can keep the urn.......... We'll take the C-17 instead.

:tease::tease::tease:

Brendon

I've never seen anything official, but it looks nearly identical to me (minus the eyebrow and cheek windows):

I have. It uses the same McDD (sorry, Boeing) part number for the windscreen frame forging as the DC-10 and MD-11. It's absolutely, 100% identical. The windshield glass also uses the same part numbers.

What does this mean for modelers? You could probably use 1/144 DC-10 decal windows for the cockpit if the clear versions aren't to your liking. I imagine most will leave them clear, however.

Probably not. Remember, models are not tiny airplanes, they're sculptures. I absolutely 100% guarantee that no 1/144 DC-10 windshield decal is going to accurately fit this kit. Absolutely guarantee.

J

So basically the decal sheet has more than is actually shown in the pictures (!?)

Huh? I have not the *faintest* clue what you're talking about. I had hundreds of photos of RAF (and RAAF, and CAF, and USAF) C-17s, plus the paint shop diagrams from Long Beach. I put *exactly* what's on the real thing on the decal sheets. If someone added graffiti after I did the decal artwork, it would be hard for me to have anticipated that and included it. Otherwise, what you see on the decals is exactly, precisely, no more and no less than what's on the airplane.

When you know the tasking we carry out and take part in it, please feel free to judge, its nice to know we're appreciated sometimes.

Did I *EVER* say anything about utilization, relative worth of you, me, the RAF, or the price of tea in China? No, I said that in terms of sheer numbers, the RAF's fleet is microscopic compared to the USAF's fleet. That's pure, simple mathematics my friend. I didn't say the RAF weren't doing a bang-up job with them, did I? I wish you wouldn't put words in my mouth, thanks...

J

PS: Merry Christmas! Peace and good will to one and all (even if they insist I have ulterior motives)

Huh? I have not the *faintest* clue what you're talking about. I had hundreds of photos of RAF (and RAAF, and CAF, and USAF) C-17s, plus the paint shop diagrams from Long Beach. I put *exactly* what's on the real thing on the decal sheets. If someone added graffiti after I did the decal artwork, it would be hard for me to have anticipated that and included it. Otherwise, what you see on the decals is exactly, precisely, no more and no less than what's on the airplane.

Did I *EVER* say anything about utilization, relative worth of you, me, the RAF, or the price of tea in China? No, I said that in terms of sheer numbers, the RAF's fleet is microscopic compared to the USAF's fleet. That's pure, simple mathematics my friend. I didn't say the RAF weren't doing a bang-up job with them, did I? I wish you wouldn't put words in my mouth, thanks...

J

PS: Merry Christmas! Peace and good will to one and all (even if they insist I have ulterior motives)

Thanks for the work on the decals Jennings. Mine arrived today from Hannants with the corrected Canadian stuff.

I have. It uses the same McDD (sorry, Boeing) part number for the windscreen frame forging as the DC-10 and MD-11. It's absolutely, 100% identical. The windshield glass also uses the same part numbers.

Probably not. Remember, models are not tiny airplanes, they're sculptures. I absolutely 100% guarantee that no 1/144 DC-10 windshield decal is going to accurately fit this kit. Absolutely guarantee.

J

Good to know, thanks.

Mike

That's because that was an Anigrand resin kit on display at Telford last year... Believe me, the Revell kit plastic is about as close to the McDD factory drawings as any kit is ever likely to get. Down to about 3 decimal places.

Economics, pure and simple. The RAF has five airplanes. The USAF had hundreds. It's as easy as that. Revell knows where the market is. In the grand scheme of the universe, if you want to do an RAF one, an extra 7 quid isn't that much to forfeit.

J

Seems to have created quite a buzz this lil kit.

I wont be buying one myself, wrong scale, but it seems odd that Revell would produce a kit with a decal sheet with an after market supplier in mind.

Shame that the 3rd party sheet is so expensive compared to the kit too.

Any idea what the two mistakes on the xtradecal sheet were about? not like hannants to make a mistake

• 2 weeks later...
Any idea what the two mistakes on the xtradecal sheet were about? not like hannants to make a mistake

Canada introduced a larger roundel and they forgot the Royal Air Force wording.

Got 2 kits and both decal sets + addendums.

But 1 of my kits had a mis 'cast' on the upper nose with a short coming in plastic.

Recoverable but 'one that slipped' quality control!!!!

Adrian

Black stallions on the intakes? Do you have any pics? Or do you mean the intake covers?

If I could work out how to post images, I'd post a shot of the intake covers.

I'd like to see a picture of their handy work!