RAF Photo-Recce Mitchells

Nick Millman

Somewhere recently, I think it was in a UK modelling magazine but it might have been online, there was an article on building a couple of RAF SEAC photo-recce B-25 models. B***ered if I can find it now. Can someone point me to it or did I imagine it (!)?

Many thanks!

Somewhere recently, I think it was in a UK modelling magazine but it might have been online, there was an article on building a couple of RAF SEAC photo-recce B-25 models. B***ered if I can find it now. Can someone point me to it or did I imagine it (!)?

Many thanks!

Hi Nick!

Was it SAM? I would look but most of mine are in storage. I know SAM had an article on RAF PR types ( including a "camotint" Hudson.

Bruce

am busy at moment but will have a look

don't recall any builds in that issue

You can search the SAM Publications Website :rolleyes:

Here's what came up:

1. AVIA Back Issues - Volume 7 (7 to 12)

... classic helicopter and includes a selection of colour profiles and scale plans. North American B-25 Mitchell by Nick J. Wigman Building& updating the Accurate Miniatures B-25C /D kit ...

Terms matched: 1 - Score: 8 - 25 Sep 2006

2. MAM Back Issues - Volume 4 (7 to 12)

... model military aircraft in civilian guises- this month modifying the Airfix 1 /72 scale B-25 Mitchell Maconburger by Chris Smithers Transforms Revell's 1 /720 scale 'Hindenburg' into the US ...

Terms matched: 1 - Score: 4 - 25 Sep 2006

3. MAM Back Issues - Volume 7 (1 to 6)

... Contents January 2008 Soviet Mitchells by Vladimir Kotelnikov Describes the use of the North American B-25 Mitchell in Soviet service in World War Two; with colour profiles by Sergey Ignatiev ...

Terms matched: 1 - Score: 4 - 21 Apr 2008

4. SM Back Issues - Volume 35 (406 - 11)

... Flareside pickup B25 Mitchell by Steve Evans Steve builds the Accurate Miniatures 1 /48th Scale B-25 Mitchell, used in every theatre of action in WWII Ennex O'Won by Ian T ...

Hi Tim

I know i can-wasn't a good time just then :toilet:

Sorry,

didn't mean 'you could' so much as 'it is possible to....' :undecided:

No worries Tim :lol:

the Russian B-25 article mentioned a mitchell crewed by ex-circus performers.

the imagination could just run wild with that! parts falling, of eccentric axles on the undercarriage. flags with Bang! coming out of the barrels - tightrope walkers on the aerial wires etc

Just googled these:

F-10 PR Variant in US Service

Mitchell in RAF Servie

http://www.airrecce.co.uk/WW2/units/RAF.html

681 Squadron

684 Squadron

Looks like only these two squadrons used the B-25 in a PR role and both Coastal comand.

Edited by timbo33

• 1 month later...
Just googled these:

F-10 PR Variant in US Service

Mitchell in RAF Servie

http://www.airrecce.co.uk/WW2/units/RAF.html

681 Squadron

684 Squadron

Looks like only these two squadrons used the B-25 in a PR role and both Coastal comand.

681 & 684 Squadrons were PR units in Burma, Nick if you have it there is a lot of PR Mitchell stuff in 'Eyes of the Pheonix' Damned good book.

The other Nick

Yes, I've got that book thanks Nick. I was trying to find a build article I thought I had seen where the Italeri (?) B-25C was turned into a SEAC PR Mitchell. I'll probably come across it when I'm looking for something else in three years time! ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Cannot help with any articles regarding PR Mitchell build, all the information I used was from the book "Eyes for the Phoenix".... Excellent book.

Accurate miniatures model 1/48,

MITCHELLPR1MA956-R.jpg

MITCHELLPR1MA956-L.jpg

Colin

Edited by Colin S-K

Steve,

Memory a bit hazy now... It's three years ago..

Needed dome, so they could spot any one following them... Mitchell could not go that high. No pressurisation, and airman in the back was on his own looking after cameras, separated by fuel tank over main spar, for range, so he was literally on his own, to do all spotting... Only advantage being, no turret mechanism, taken out to save weight, left all the windows for spotting.

But I think the dome came with the kit. Could be wrong, but that is what I remember. It's actually undersized from what photos are in 'Eyes for the Phoenix', could probably use all sorts of alternatives, seem to remember some body saying B29 dome ideal...

Colin

But I think the dome came with the kit. Could be wrong, but that is what I remember. It's actually undersized from what photos are in 'Eyes for the Phoenix', could probably use all sorts of alternatives, seem to remember some body saying B29 dome ideal...

Colin

My recollection is that the real thing was a B-29 side blister.

Nick

• Like 1

Don't forget that the ONLY accurate Mitchells before the H/J are in 1/48. I'm working on a conversion of 1/72 Frog and Italaeri kits to Mitchells (nearly finished the first one: it's not as hard as I feared, but still not for beginners) but at this rate it'll be a few months yet ....

Bri.

"Cannot help with any articles regarding PR Mitchell build, all the information I used was from the book "Eyes for the Phoenix".... Excellent book.

Accurate miniatures model 1/48,"

Thanks Colin. Inspirational pictures of a great looking model.

No problem....

If any one interested in unusual PR versions of otherwise well known aircraft........

Try this,

the De Havilland Hornet PR 1...

HORNETPR2PX216.jpg

Amazed me that they made them....

Imagine a Hornet in PRU Blue.....

Colin

Colin;

Do you have info on the Hornet's camera locations and any other modifications needed to do one.

Unfortunately I do not, I could only find passing mention of them in the articles I found, and a few photos. As far as I am aware they had no cannon, and the bay used for cameras, although they would have been rather small focal length cameras. whether they had the longer focal length cameras mounted in the rear fuselage like the FR4 and several Royal Navy aircraft, I do not know, although I can see no evidence of this on the few photos I have.

Any one interested in getting a copy of what I have, just email me at,

[email protected]

And we can arrange to get a CD posted to you.

Colin