Canberra PR.9 (1:48 Airfix)

Mike

After much ado, it's finally here, and I for one am a very happy puppy! :yahoo:

box.jpg

It's a big old box, which some rather uninspiring artwork on the front of a very glossy traditional top opening box.

Enough of that nonsense... let's have a look IN the box - that's what we buy them for! :D

The first thing I did was scavenge to the bottom of the box to pick out the decal sheet, as I was one of many that were disappointed with the Nimrod decals recently. I'm happy to report that they seem of much better quality, being glossy & in register. I'm a little concerned about the color of the roundels though, but that could just be the light, or my eyes malfunctioning :wacko:

decals.jpg

The fuselage is a new tool, and comes with 2 belly pack inserts with different camera configurations. As with the earlier B (I)8 version, the panel lines are sharp edges, deep & fairly wide. These should scale back nicely under a few coats of paint however, and make it harder to lose when sanding any filler. :) The odd ridged vertical tail plane is carried on with this version, which will need a little filler to match your references (and stand any chance of the decals adhering too!).

fuselage.jpg

The wings are again nicely moulded with the typical Airfix Canberra panel lines, and flap detail moulded into the underside of the upper halves. Flying surfaces are all articulated, giving the modeller the option of adding a bit of visual interest to this large open expanse of panelling.

There are only 4 "true" sprues plus 2 transparent sprues after the wing & fuselage parts, which hold the rest of the parts for the airframe, and other than the choice of bomb bay inserts, there are also a pair of optional stores, the name of which escape me, but seems odd aboard a photo-reconnaissance bird until you realise that they a for carrying counter-measures. I'm sure the Canberra experts will chime in with designations & such.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

Of course on the PR.9 you can actually pose the canopy open without risking the wrath of the purists, and it's provided in two parts to allow you to do just that. The nose is provided as a solid piece, which is not to be confused with the clear nose that's included on one of the clear sprues. This seems to be a left-over from another marque, and it's a good thing too, because it's quite milky.

transparencies.jpg

There you have it. A mainstream Canberra in 1:48 was a great thing earlier in the year, but a PR.9 in 1:48 and more to come? Canberra lovers' heaven! I have the MA Canberra retirement scheme decals ready for my kit, but when I'll get chance to build it is another matter!

Looks like a PR9 to me :yahoo: I like the look of it alot :gobsmacked:

I think the counter measure pods are BOZ pods, but Im not an expert on them, but, they were fitted on the wing hardpoints for playing silly buggers over the deserts.

Bex von HappyBunny

I just picked mine up today in Antics (Formally Tags) here in Sheffield. They have more on the Shelf too.

It was only £22.50 as well which was surprising as the B(I)8 sold for £27.99 so it's quite a bit cheaper. I can't wait to get home from work and inspect all the bits.

Hi,

Good review, looks a nice kit. Can you tell me if there is any interior included for the nose position, eg this stuff?:

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

or is it scratchbuild (or aftermarket) if you want nose open?

Thanks,

Andy

Most definitely a scratchbuild/AM job if you want the nose open. There's a little bit of the cockpit tray sticking into the nose area, and then the nose "dome" with a few parts for the tip detail. :)

Rich, I'm sure your B2 will arrive when it's ready, just be patient and go fondle a D3x. Wheres the drool emoticon when you need it.

rich

Can't even b****y do that until late December!

Looks like most of the cockpit detail is the same as for the B(I)8 kit. The AM guys must be rubbing their hands together. What about it Mike? Some nice new PR9 stuff when all that lovely Viggen stuff is out?

Tony :clif:

Very Nice i second that hey mike arec we going to get some neat parts for from two mikes :partytime::partytime::yahoo::thumbsup2::gobsmacked::wow:

Build the CA one Rich!!! Why wait for the Airfix B.2?? :headphones:

I've got one started but it's a real fatherless child. With the Airfix version on the horizon on some slow boat from China, I really can't muster the enthusiasm to fight the CA kit. I'll have another go as soon as I've built the said Airfix kit or two.

Well hopefully as of 2pm today ..I'll be picking my one up from Steve :yahoo: ..shame theres no colour PE set for the cockpit as yet ... come to think of it what colour is the cockpit on these

Black! Paint it Panzer grey, put a black wash on it & do a light dry-brushing with either light grey or white. Dab on a few colorful dots for shiny buttons & walk away! ;)

Thanks for the sprue shots Mike, as based on the boxart alone, it would probably stay on the shelf!!!

Seriously, that has to be some of the worst boxart I have seen. I will be buying the kit though, to do a hemp one. Roll on the B2

Bruce

Thanks for the sprue shots Mike, as based on the boxart alone, it would probably stay on the shelf!!!

Seriously, that has to be some of the worst boxart I have seen. I will be buying the kit though, to do a hemp one. Roll on the B2

Bruce

It's not the greatest, is it? I'm sure I mentioned this to them on the boxart, and they mumbled summit about "working on it"... that may well have been a dream though, so don't quote me on it :S

Picked mine up earlier today from Steve's house ...must say are you sure this is an Airfix kit this thing looks great ..now I have a dilemma on which version to do

I'd suggest a PR.9 Sean.... :doh: