Revell 1/32 SEA VENOM

dirtball

I think I speak for the vast majority when I say that we appreciate and value your input here as much as your product range

Ditto - I'm having oodles of fun getting my head round the Vampire etch! It certainly does wonders to the Heller kit, but I think my etch folding skills need work and I need a new set of Mk 1 eyeballs :banghead:

As it happens I've been given a rather large Victor project to handle - expect some enquiries soon...

Hope the wife gets better

Chris

Sorry to have troubled you, I certainly won't do so again.

Nice work, 8 posts already, 5 on this post alone and you managed to p*ss of a major contributor to our hobby.

one of the many projects lined up for the future so thank you for posting the pics Julien

Do you happen to have any from the other side please?

No sorry, they were only accessable from this side and the front.

Looking at them the design is fairly basic and I doubt they differed much.

Julien

Edited by Julien

Dunno if you lot saw my post in a previous Sea Venom thread but I've got access to a complete untampered with FAW-53 and my old dad has a complete set of maintenace manuals for the FAW-53.

If you want need something specific please feel free to ask. The aircraft is a half hour trip from my house (speed limit? what speed limit :) ) so I can get pics reasonably quickly.

Cheers

Danni

They were going to go with MK3 seats as used in the vampire trainer, however the Sea Venom was slightly smaller. de Haviland worked with Martin Baker to come up with the lightweight seat.

During my research I found this article from the 1957 Flight http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%200178.html

The MK4 lightweight seat was quite different from the Normal MK4 as used in RAF service.

Julien

Nice research Julien - just as a thought - Phantom seats could be used - with a bit of modification maybe?

• 1 year later...

Holy thread resurrection Batman, has there been any more info on this set from DJP since Feb 2010? I am the middle of getting hold of one of these kits but didn't know there were no AM parts available at all!!! I hope it is nearly cooked as I would love to be one of the first to try it out!!

Holy thread resurrection Batman, has there been any more info on this set from DJP since Feb 2010? I am the middle of getting hold of one of these kits but didn't know there were no AM parts available at all!!! I hope it is nearly cooked as I would love to be one of the first to try it out!!

I think life got in the way of the AM parts for this kit...

I was going to do a 'pit set for it for over two years. I have been collecting references for it all that time. It became a back bench project as other new 1/32 early jet kits appeared on the scene. I still drag out the old box and fondle the plastic for a few minutes and place it back on the shelf. Time is getting harder and harder to come by, for limited demand kits.

Maybe next year will yield some time to actually do some mocking up.

Cheers,

Harold

You could consider the Eduard pre-painted Lightning F.1A/F.3 straps for the MBs, attached to the right seats.

Am using those for Hunters in 1/32, suitaby modified.

Intrument dials could come from one of the new players in town, which prety much covers all sins.

tony t

I think life got in the way of the AM parts for this kit...

I was going to do a 'pit set for it for over two years. I have been collecting references for it all that time. It became a back bench project as other new 1/32 early jet kits appeared on the scene. I still drag out the old box and fondle the plastic for a few minutes and place it back on the shelf. Time is getting harder and harder to come by, for limited demand kits.

Maybe next year will yield some time to actually do some mocking up.

Cheers,

Harold

It would be the only horse in town if you were to get this to the mock up stage, but unfortunately there can't be a massive demand for it. I imagine one of the far eastern lot will produce a IM version of their own in the coming months/years and then the old Matchbox/Revell kit will be firmly confined to the back of the cupboards or sought out by collectors if that is not already the case! Saying that though if a new IM kit was to be produced then the plethora of AM goodies that followed from our eastern European brethren would no doubt be adaptable to this venerable old kit! Here's hoping...

Edited by Acky190

These are the kit parts in resin. I know this is a terrible tease, but at least I have something to start on. I will work on this in between more pressing projects. I think I will work on one part until it is done, then on to another. I have the seats started as well. I will finish those first. If I never complete the full set, at least the seats will be done.

Cheers,

Harold

SeaVenompit.jpg

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/hairoldcut/

Edited by Harold

• 2 weeks later...

Harold

I tried sending you some of the detail stuff we discussed but your email kept bouncing.

If your still wanting it, give me a buzz.

for the record I believe the Matchbox cockpit is more FAW 21 than FAW 22

thus

FAW 21

Late21.jpg

FAW 22

22.jpg

The pilots console is massively wrong in either case, to short and the area foward of the throttle box is

much to high.

Just got back from visiting family in California, so I am a bit behind.

YES, I can use anything you have.

Here is my e-mail:

[email protected]

That one will get through I am sure.

Those drawings are very sharp, exactly what I need for perspective.

Thanks in advance,

Harold

Harold

was at East Fortune today and took several detail pictures of the Sea Venom there which I will e-mail to you soonest - Hogmanay celebrations and hangover permitting. Sadly she has been moved to the refurb and restoration hanger without the wooden steps to allow for cockpit viewing but after chatting up the attendant I git over the wire and was able to get some hopefully useful pics for you - and anyone else that wants to send a pm for same - happy to e-mail them out. Interestingly the paint was badly peeling in the underwing fuel tank pylon and showing the old "green" underneath the re-painted white over coat so at least that part of the bird comes from an earlier paint scheme than the grey/white one she is currently shown in

Harold

was at East Fortune today and took several detail pictures of the Sea Venom there which I will e-mail to you soonest - Hogmanay celebrations and hangover permitting. Sadly she has been moved to the refurb and restoration hanger without the wooden steps to allow for cockpit viewing but after chatting up the attendant I git over the wire and was able to get some hopefully useful pics for you - and anyone else that wants to send a pm for same - happy to e-mail them out. Interestingly the paint was badly peeling in the underwing fuel tank pylon and showing the old "green" underneath the re-painted white over coat so at least that part of the bird comes from an earlier paint scheme than the grey/white one she is currently shown in

Fantastic....any and all welcome for sure.

Recover first though.

Harold

I'd be up for a few sets Harold - I have at least six in the stash (although plan is for a few to become single-seaters...)

Iain

WOW! are you going to scratch build the conversions? I was hoping Paul Fisher would jump on a conversion, but he is very busy with his own creations.

Darn it.

Harold, did I email you the pics I had of the Sea Venom seats? I cant remember?

Julien

Yes you did..

I have them in my folder.

they are still the best shots I can find.

I am using them as my reference for my effort.

Thanks again,

Harold

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a scan of some of the parts I am working on for the seat.

The rails are from my Lightning seat, the bucket is from a mold of my basic MK5 seat, and the headbox was built up using Apoxie Sculpt and styrene.

A lot of work still needed to get all the parts to fit and then add the 'chute, belts and buckles.

seavenomseatmockup.jpg