Revell 1/32 SEA VENOM

dirtball

Mak -

Its been 98% finished for over two years - just sitting there. We are a little frightened to put it out actually because we just know that it will come back copied as a cheaper dumbed-down pirated injection kit from 'out east' - probably within a few months of its release. Then we'll be in the humiliating position of having to produce a Detail set for an inferior pirated copy of our own kit!!!

We'll take the chance and put it out one day - probably when I reach the point when I can't afford any more King Prawns & Scandanavian modern jazz cds!

Regards,

David Parkins

I know it's off the original topic, but firstly it's lovely to see you active on the forums. I've been a customer of yours almost since I got back into this hobby a few years ago, and have always received execllent service. My first experience of folding PE was trying to do justice to your A-10 weapons. They won! :lol:

My take would be release & be damned... you've expended all that energy - it'd be such a shame for it not to see the light of day. People will know which one will provide them with the best chance of an accurate Hawk, even if it is copied at some point :shrug:

I know it's off the original topic, but firstly it's lovely to see you active on the forums. I've been a customer of yours almost since I got back into this hobby a few years ago, and have always received execllent service. My first experience of folding PE was trying to do justice to your A-10 weapons. They won! :lol:

My take would be release & be damned... you've expended all that energy - it'd be such a shame for it not to see the light of day. People will know which one will provide them with the best chance of an accurate Hawk, even if it is copied at some point :shrug:

Thanks Mike,

Yes - we'll definitely put it out at some point reasonably soon. We will have to eventually anyway, as we have put too much work and money into it to just forget about it! I had been hoping that Revell or someone might bring one out first so we could just produce details sets & sell the decal sheets etc.

Anyway, if we didn't produce it, how will I get my 1/32nd Flightline of RAF Brawdy C.1990. Happy Days!

Regards,

David Parkins,

Flightpath

Great news on the Hawk, Hobbycraft have released a 1/32 Sea Fury, but I don't think it's stopped sales of the Fisher kit, and I know which one I'd prefer, have one already and will be buying another in the future-wish the exchange rate with the dollar would get back to how it was. Have you done any seats for the Hawk yet, as I'd like one of each type for a Sea Harrier, and a Shenyang F-6 I plan on making? Look forward to the Sea Venom detail set too.

ps. the price of jazz cd's are soon to go through the roof, honest!!!

Edited by Kagemusha

Great news on the Hawk, Hobbycraft have released a 1/32 Sea Fury, but I don't think it's stopped sales of the Fisher kit, and I know which one I'd prefer, have one already and will be buying another in the future-wish the exchange rate with the dollar would get back to how it was. Have you done any seats for the Hawk yet, as I'd like one of each type for a Sea Harrier, and a Shenyang F-6 I plan on making? Look forward to the Sea Venom detail set too.

ps. the price of jazz cd's are soon to go through the roof, honest!!!

I doubt we'll put the seats out separately as there are also many etched parts in them [such as side panels & harness parts] and these will be on the main etched sheet in the kit. We'll see if there is enough demand to put them on a dedicated photo-tool.

I don't believe the rumour of higher priced jazz cds BTW!!! I've only gotten 14 new ones this month - good music for doing CAD work to!

David

I doubt we'll put the seats out separately as there are also many etched parts in them [such as side panels & harness parts] and these will be on the main etched sheet in the kit. We'll see if there is enough demand to put them on a dedicated photo-tool.

I don't believe the rumour of higher priced jazz cds BTW!!! I've only gotten 14 new ones this month - good music for doing CAD work to!

David

Good news on the Sea Venom David, and indeed the Hawk!!

Bring 'em on!!!!!

• 1 year later...
Did the Flightpath Sea Venom set ever get released - I can't see any sign of it and David Parkins' last post in the matter was well over a year ago?

Might get something out by the end of this year. That'd be pretty quick for us.

Progress is 'steady' - as Woody Allen remarked when asked about the repeated visits to his psychiatrist over a 25 year period.

Regards,

David Parkins,

Flightpath

Thanks for that info - what a coincidence. Only this afternoon I was reading the Sea Venom pilot's notes which caused me some confusion as they make no mention of ejection seats - the Abandoning Aircraft instructions mention rolling the a/c inverted and falling out having released the harness. Were the a/c retrofitted with bang seats?

Thanks for that info - what a coincidence. Only this afternoon I was reading the Sea Venom pilot's notes which caused me some confusion as they make no mention of ejection seats - the Abandoning Aircraft instructions mention rolling the a/c inverted and falling out having released the harness. Were the a/c retrofitted with bang seats?

I think the first navalised version (FAW20) wasn't fitted with ejection seats, but the FAW21 & FAW22 were.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can elaborate or confirm that.

But that's what you said in Dec 2008. I take it that DJ Parkins years are a lot longer than 12 months - what's the answer going to be in December 2010?

There's clearly a demand, so what's the problem?

Yes - It might well be the same answer I'll give in December 2010!

I came on here tonight simply to reassure anyone interested that we still intend [as of now] to proceed with the Sea Venom Set for release at some point in the future - so why the aggression in your posting all over a little etched set?

Most manufacturers do not even take the trouble to post here - so you might be pleased that there is at least one who bothers to. However, if I'm going to meet with the sort of response I got from from you then I think I'll just stop bothering to post here at all. Your post sounded like you were addressing a dog, not a manufacturer.

I never commit to release dates now as people like you tend to hold us to them as if they are promises rather than estimates. I do not want any pressure on me, I don't need it and can afford not to have it. If someone beats us to market with a Sea Venom set then so much the better - it will just save me work and thats the way I look at it. The financial aspects concern or motivate me hardly at all.

The sets ARE produced for profit - but not nearly as much as they are produced for my own satisfaction. That leaves me free to work to my own timetable and on what I want to, when I want to. When I have finished a set to my satisfaction then I'll release it and NOT before.

As it happens though, we have barely put out anything in the last year as my wife has been very ill [and still is] and she is somewhat more important to me than an etched nickel silver fret. It has taken all the time this last year just running the business on a day to day basis [dealing with existing stock levels & mail orders in a reliable and prompt fashion] and of course, looking after her - leaving no time at all to finish off new stuff.

I did not say a Sea Venom Set was 98% finished in Dec. 2008 - if you re-read my posts for that time it had had drifted onto discussion of a different project. I said it was several months away - well thats true - and by the time it appears it might be 24 or 36 or 48 months! Our Great Little Ships Flower Class Corvette Sets took seven years to get to a point where we were happy to release them.

The Sea Venom Set is about 25th in priority on a list of abround 40 ongoing projects [most not aircraft related - as we have four kit ranges] and is not particularly high priority for me at present. There may well be a demand for it - just as there is for anything we produce. As I say, money though is not my prime motivation in late middle age! My wife, jazz CDs & prawns are!

David Parkins,

Flightpath

• Like 1

But that's what you said in Dec 2008. I take it that DJ Parkins years are a lot longer than 12 months - what's the answer going to be in December 2010?

and there's me thinking modellers were known for their patience......... :doh:

Maybe a little harsh in your words there Highland sniper.

Its totally up to David when he feels he is ready to release the set. I have had nothing but 100% excellent product from him and I believe from what he says that he only releses sets when he feels they meet his standards, and those are high.

We are always critising some manufactures for releasing product when we know there are errors or ommisions so we should not really do the same when someone says they want to make sure a product is 100% before they release it to the market.

Just my 2p, and aside from being a very satisfied customer I have no other ties to Flightpath/DJP.

Julien

I think the first navalised version (FAW20) wasn't fitted with ejection seats, but the FAW21 & FAW22 were.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can elaborate or confirm that.

They were going to go with MK3 seats as used in the vampire trainer, however the Sea Venom was slightly smaller. de Haviland worked with Martin Baker to come up with the lightweight seat.

During my research I found this article from the 1957 Flight http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%200178.html

The MK4 lightweight seat was quite different from the Normal MK4 as used in RAF service.

These are from the de Haviland Aircraft heritage Centre's Sea Venom;

SeaVenomSeat1.jpg

SeaVenomSeat2.jpg

SeaVenomSeat3.jpg

SeaVenomSeat4.jpg

Let me know if anyone wants emailed copies.

Julien

Edited by Julien

Sorry to have troubled you, I certainly won't do so again.

I'm more than happy to be troubled - answering questions is partly why I visit this board and I see it as part of the service, as it were.

As several members of this forum will know, I try to answer all questions that come my way and to do so promptly. All I ask in return is for a little courtesy and definitely no sarcasm.

Regards,

David Parkins,

Flightpath

• Like 1

David - firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's illness. I hope it's nothing too serious, and that she's on the mend. Secondly, I'd like to apologise for Highland Sniper's terse and accusatory tone... He's new round here, and possibly doesn't quite yet understand that we ask all members to be polite & respectful to eachother.

I think I speak for the vast majority when I say that we appreciate and value your input here as much as your product range... I have one LONG list of bits I'll be needing from you when funds permit (could be some time though!).

Mike - another long term satisfied (and patient) customer. ;)

David - firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's illness. I hope it's nothing too serious, and that she's on the mend. Secondly, I'd like to apologise for Highland Sniper's terse and accusatory tone... He's new round here, and possibly doesn't quite yet understand that we ask all members to be polite & respectful to eachother.

I think I speak for the vast majority when I say that we appreciate and value your input here as much as your product range... I have one LONG list of bits I'll be needing from you when funds permit (could be some time though!).

Mike - another long term satisfied (and patient) customer. ;)

Thanks Mike [& Julien] for your comments. Both much appreciated.

Regards,

David Parkins

David -................very sorry to hear about your wife's illness. I hope that she's on the mend.

I will echo Mike's sentiments above, and will also add my agreement, some thing's ARE more valuable than money.

Get well soon Mrs. Dave.

(Mike, sorry to paraphrase you, but i'm a lazy bugger!) :wicked:

All the best,

Paul

This was posted on ARC today:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal1...Bianchi/00.shtm

(1/32, not 1/48 as described...)

Hopefully some inspiration there!

Simon

EDIT - best wishes to Mrs P, hope she's better very soon. Apologies for not putting this in originally - very remiss of me.

Edited by Simon