Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise 1701-A

Ive had this kit sitting around for ages. I got it for £25 from Modelzone last year. Bargain!

I have made a start on it now. I was considering lighting it , but the lighting and painting is so complex that i thought i go for the paintjob rather than the lights. There are lighting kits available but ranging from $175-$300 i ruled that out.

Heres the Arboritum. I didnt go to too much trouble as it wont be seen too much without shining a light in. I also opted to leave the entire shuttle deck/hanger out

DSC02705.jpg

Heres the secondary hull and pylons.

DSC02704.jpg

Finally a size comparison for you. This is the Trumpeter 1/32 Razorback sitting on the saucer section!

DSC02696.jpg

Ive had this kit sitting around for ages. I got it for £25 from Modelzone last year. Bargain!

I have made a start on it now. I was considering lighting it , but the lighting and painting is so complex that i thought i go for the paintjob rather than the lights. There are lighting kits available but ranging from $175-$300 i ruled that out.

Heres the Arboritum. I didnt go to too much trouble as it wont be seen too much without shining a light in. I also opted to leave the entire shuttle deck/hanger out

DSC02705.jpg

Heres the secondary hull and pylons.

DSC02704.jpg

Finally a size comparison for you. This is the Trumpeter 1/32 Razorback sitting on the saucer section!

DSC02696.jpg

Looking good so far - I've started the same kit about a month ago...I was put off the cost of the lighting kits as well, but have been lighting my kits with my own "system" since '94 and am lighting my kit different to most of the others. I look forward to seeing your build-up, especially the painting - that's the one part that I find the most daunting.

Looking good so far - I've started the same kit about a month ago...I was put off the cost of the lighting kits as well, but have been lighting my kits with my own "system" since '94 and am lighting my kit different to most of the others. I look forward to seeing your build-up, especially the painting - that's the one part that I find the most daunting.

Ah yes , the painting........Im trying not to think about that yet.

Looking nice so far. Shame about the shuttle deck, makes quite an interesting detail if you leave it open.

Have you seen this? Shows the work involved with lighting the monster! Polar Lights Enterprise

Nice link! I have a very similar one book-marked but by a different builder. I've recently finished my 1/350 Ent-A shuttlebay and have made it to be viewed open or shut. I used the rear 2 sections of the kit shuttlebay and added an accurised front section, designed by a Brazilian modeller. I also added the Starfleet Alternatives brass photo-etched set, which includes an upper gantry walkway all around the rear 2 sections, ladders, pylon type struts, in-scale personnel, cargo containers for the extreme rear section, etc. Although the detail can be seen better with the naked eye, here's a couple of quick snaps to show the interior a little.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/Scif...nt=DSC_2562.jpg

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/Scif...ebay-farend.jpg

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/Scif...nt=DSC_2562.jpg

Edited by sciford

Excellent links guys. The Enterprise is just outside my comfort zone. Ask me anything about an x wing and i will answer it , ask me technical stuff about 1701-A and i wont have too much of a clue. I know a bit but not enough to go into details with stuff. Im going for the overall finish with this one not fine detail. I can see how people could go to town with the detailing though , and the end result would be spectacular. My main concern with this one is the aztec pattern.

I do love the detailed lit ones though!

Ive had a couple of hours on this tonight , its over to the 1/24 X wing tomorrow.

Yes i know. Cant afford them at the moment though and some people have complained of them pulling the paint up

Yeah, I too always have a problem with the aztec thing...should I or shouldn't I? So for my large Ent-A, I bought the set of aztec decals from the SSM store, when the £ was still at a sensible value against the $. If it works out ok, I'll get the decals for my 1/350 NX-01 which I also have on the go. Today, I want to work on some of the electronics for my Ent-A and my 1/24 X-wing (I'm also in the process of removing it's canopy so I can hinge it to open and close). With all these large projects, I running out of room on my workbench, err dining table actually.