DH Venom Colour Schemes

rafalbert

I think the norm was dsg/dg/silver or pru blue so its down to the brightest Sqn markings you can find or go foreign i think sami did some profiles of venoms one of wich was white with crimson tip tanks maybe another member knows wich issue it was in.

Dek.

Hi Guys,

I have been tasked by a friend of mine to finding a couple of interesting colour schemes for Venom FB1s and FB4s. Can anyone help out?

Many thanks,

Dave

The Classic Airframes kit of the Mark 4 Venom has three interesting colour schemes, two RAF and one Venezualean. In particular, my fav, is the No 60 Sqdn one, which has red tip tanks, fins and nosewheel door, plus the usual 2nd TAF colours. It is my fav because I actually worked on the aircraft.

Cheers,

Derek

Derek may remember that 60 Sqn flew a four ship display team at some stage - their FB4's were painted in overall white - with red tip tanks & fin; someone built one for a magazine article (SAM I think - I'll have a look later) fairly recently. Warpaint No 44 is uselful, though there doesn't appear to be that much in the way of exotic FB4's ..as others have said colour scheme was standard Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey over PRU Blue or Silver.

There is an interesting B/W photo in the book of an FB4 (WR410/"N" of No 6 Sqn) in standard camo - but with silver tip tanks with a large red flying can-opener symbol applied. It also has the pale blue box with "gunners stripe".

There are another couple of photo's later in the book of 5 Sqn FB4's and one states that ..."at this time (1956) squadron insignia was limited to the drop tanks ad bands round the rear of the booms. All aircraft have a red nose section". Problem is its on a B/W photo and is particularly difficult to work out where the red actually is. The other photo also taken in 1956 shows the green(I assume) maple leaf badge on the port side of the nose.

If anyone has further information on this scheme I'd be particularly grateful.....

Hi Guys,

I have been tasked by a friend of mine to finding a couple of interesting colour schemes for Venom FB1s and FB4s. Can anyone help out?

Many thanks,

Dave

Oh and further to my reply above - heres an FB1 that I built a year or so ago........

Its one of CA's better kits - I have the FB4 ready to start and will treat myself to a Sea Venom..shame about their Vampire!!!

In the colours of 16 Sqn........

100_6297.jpg

Hi Dave,

How about this scheme:-

img0000-5.jpg

Taken from:- De Havilland Venom by Rodger Lindsay 1974

The model is my conversion of the matchbox 1/32 Venom FAW.21.

Regards,

Glenn

Blimey!!

You could do one of the prototypes in over all High Speed Silver.

Hi Dave

Would you consider a Venom with a slight twist?

These are RNZAF Venoms (circa Malaya Emergency) on hire from the RAF (60 Sqn I believe) with Kiwi markings (photo courtesy of MJ Mine)

VenomStartup.jpg

A question for Glenn R

How did you accomplish that conversion? It's awsome, the reason I ask is, I have the 1/32 Revell kit to convert to a RNZAF FB-1

Regards

Alan

Hi Guys,

many thanks for your help with this. The models look fantastic, Glenn all I can say once again is WOW :gobsmacked: I will try to get hold of the warpaint book, sounds like it will be very handy.

Dave

These are RNZAF Venoms (circa Malaya Emergency) on hire from the RAF (60 Sqn I believe) with Kiwi markings (photo courtesy of MJ Mine)

VenomStartup.jpg

These are actually 14 Squadron RNZAF machines. They were leased and never went to NZ, remaining behind in Singapore when 75 Sqaudron RNZAF replaced them with leased Canberra B.2s. Fabulous photo, thanks for sharing.

Hi Alan & Dave,

The conversion to a single seat Venom was done using a carved balsawood block nose section (which I no longer have I'm afraid), splitting it in half and then vacforming to form the nose/cockpit area. The canopy was done in the same way. The fins were made from plasticard. Incidentally, I have a couple of canopies left over, so PM me if you would like them.

Regards, Glenn

• 2 months later...
Hi Dave,

How about this scheme:-

img0000-5.jpg

Taken from:- De Havilland Venom by Rodger Lindsay 1974

The model is my conversion of the matchbox 1/32 Venom FAW.21.

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

What did you use for that vibrant light blue? My intention for the first of my Dynavector Scimitars is to complete it as an overall light blue RAE Bedford machine, and your Venom seems to employ the same shade.

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

The colour is 'cerulean blue', I think the same colour was used on one of the prototype Victors. I'm not aware of any model paint manufacturer producing the exact colour, I had to mix mine myself. I'm sorry I can't remember the portions, or the paint I used, it was some time ago. PM me if you're really stuck and I'll pass you onto my pal who builds lots of research aircraft and he may be able to help you with the colour mix.

Regards,

Glenn

Another RNZAF 14 Sqn option shown in the Warpaint book is an FB1 with red & white checkered rudders.

I built that because my 'Pennington Special' from CA came with the FB1 tails not the FB4.

DHP may well have seen that machine also at Tengah ? - It was the closest I could find without rebuilding the tails !

John B

ven3.jpg

Edited by John B (Sc)

• 9 years later...

One of the very first drawings I saw intended for painting a model in a different colour scheme, was in an RAF Flying Review (I think! but in the late 50s or very very early 60s) and showed an Iraqi Venom in desert colours.

I have seen this photo in many places so I don't think it is colourised, I certainly haven't seen a black and white version. The tip tank does puzzle me though, to my old eyes it looks dark green maybe even with DSG patches and  PRU blue underneath. It is a pity on of the other machines tanks are visible. I avoided building WB308 for that reason.

I think this is a colourised photo. Take a look at the grass area behind the first aircraft: it is dark blue-gray. And so is also the rising ground beyond apron. Grass areas at RAF Tengah are very bright green all year round. Nothing like in this photo.

Photos of this occasion appeared in "Aeroplane" or "Flypast" magazine some years ago and they were all in black and white and of better quality.

Kind Regards,

Antti

19 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I note that Printscale have issued a nice 1/72 Venom single seater decal sheet. Now if only we could something to apply them to... 

ARE YOU LISTENING ALL YOU KIT MANUFACTURERS?! 

Or unless they know something that we all don’t!! 

Somehow praying to God to give me a Venom, just doesn’t sound right, does it? 

Cheers.. Dave