Windy's Tonka

Windy

Hi Folks,

This will be my attempt at tackling the Airfix Tornado re-tooled F.3. I have a a stash of old Airfix Tonkas sat in the loft that I have plucked from Ebay and shows some as cheap as 99p as no one in their right mind would want to tackle one (that is until I have a go :fool: )

Well to start I have pulled out my brother's copy of On Target Special No.1 Op Telic and the wife (yes the wife) has chossen ZE161 'Lacey 28' as the bird to build. I have a selection of aftermarket parts in the stash but I have chossen to use a Eduard Torndao F.3 set and a set of Aeroclub seats. The eduard set is primarily going to be used to correct the rubbish cockpit of the Airfix kit, the seat as you can guess are a better choice over the Airfix version.

Here are the bits I will be using;

DSC01236.jpg

Edited by Windy

Well I am slowly making some progress with this plasic turd of a kit. The cockpit is going to me a mish mash of a old Italeri tub and parts from the Eduard set. Trial fitting the 2 fuselage halves made me laugh, cry and then laugh again, I will have to sort out some sort of clamp to hold it together.

One question I have is that why did Airfix re-tool the upper halves? I take it the old version was incorrect for a F.3?

Well I am slowly making some progress with this plasic turd of a kit. The cockpit is going to me a mish mash of a old Italeri tub and parts from the Eduard set. Trial fitting the 2 fuselage halves made me laugh, cry and then laugh again, I will have to sort out some sort of clamp to hold it together.

One question I have is that why did Airfix re-tool the upper halves? I take it the old version was incorrect for a F.3?

it's airfix it was probably incorrect for the one they were modelling :rofl:

By the time I correct the cockpit and the fuselage I might as well build a whole new kit :wall: . At least there is news of a all new ADV tooling in 1/48th on the horizon :partytime:

about bloody time theres been issues with this one for so long a botched attempt at something that should have been great

Hey Windy,

If you get bored with this one, you could always do a scrap diorama and then build that 1:32 one youve got hidden away :wicked:

Bex

Hey Windy,

If you get bored with this one, you could always do a scrap diorama and then build that 1:32 one youve got hidden away :wicked:

Bex

I was keeping the 1/32 Tonka for when I get all the bits I need (working out to be bl**dy expensive).

I could do a scrapped Italeri GR.1 like this

Tornado%20Crash1.jpg

I was keeping the 1/32 Tonka for when I get all the bits I need (working out to be bl**dy expensive).

I could do a scrapped Italeri GR.1 like this

Tornado%20Crash1.jpg

1:32 is an expensive hobby :crying:

With ref to the photo, now that would look amazing, and very different :thumbsup2:

Bex

Well as promised I now have a few photos of my slow progress, I hope you enjoy them?

DSC01343.jpg

DSC01341.jpg

DSC01345.jpg

DSC01348.jpg

DSC01344.jpg

The drops flaps and slats is a simple attempt at adding so more detail to the kit, I used nothing but the kit parts which were just cut and repositioned (although not accurate it is better I hope you agree?).