1/72 Revell Tornado GR.1 - 17 Sqn

Rich F

Thanks Nick, AFAIK, PP Aeroparts is no more, its a shame as they did some lovely stuff. I got all mine off ebay.

Merv, thought you'd know that one! Its the RAF Germany Crest, its motto reads 'Keepers of the Peace'

Rich

TBH,I've not seen it that often, :undecided: Know the Sqn/Stn crest's but that's one rarely seen.

• 1 month later...

very late in the day but..........

i'm finding it hard to believe it's 1/72.

detailing you've done is beyond what i can do! (at the moment at least anyhow....)

great build

scott.

• 4 months later...

Rich, I have to take my hat off to you for that build..

I'm in the process of painting the same scale Aries tub for a Tornado build, and it's a complete bugger. Very intricate and eye wateringly small (especially as I'm turning long sighted)..

How did you get the red warnings painted so accurately on the MB seats, and all the dials and switches painted so accurately on the IP's ? I'm struggling..

You're also convincing me to ditch the Airfix kit I'm squeezing it into for a Revell..

Nick

Hi Nick,

Ta very much, thought this was well and truely buried. Yeah your right about it being a bugger to paint, but it is a thing of beauty.

Ok, the red squares on the bang seats were easy peasy, just a red decal cut up into tiny squares. Very effective though.

The switches were a wash with oil paints, ivory black thinned with Xtracolor enamel thinners IIRC. Be careful not to load the brush to much and try to touch only the recesses and let capillary action do the rest.

Then once this is dry (at least 24hrs) dry brush the raised areas with a slightly lighter shade of the base coat. You may need to repeat these steps a couple of times to get the effect your after.

Hope this helps, your right about the Airfix kit, compared to the Revell kit its :shit:

Rich

Hi Nick,

Ta very much, thought this was well and truely buried. Yeah your right about it being a bugger to paint, but it is a thing of beauty.

Ok, the red squares on the bang seats were easy peasy, just a red decal cut up into tiny squares. Very effective though.

The switches were a wash with oil paints, ivory black thinned with Xtracolor enamel thinners IIRC. Be careful not to load the brush to much and try to touch only the recesses and let capillary action do the rest.

Then once this is dry (at least 24hrs) dry brush the raised areas with a slightly lighter shade of the base coat. You may need to repeat these steps a couple of times to get the effect your after.

Hope this helps, your right about the Airfix kit, compared to the Revell kit its :shit:

Rich

Champion!

I didn't think of that, and went through the whole process of making the warning signs in Photoshop, with a view to printing them myself, but when I saw they were going to be so piddly, I thought I'd be crackers to do it.

And yes, I just bought the Revell GR1 this morning from Lucky Model. Much better.

Cheers,

Nick

This

The best tornado that i never seen! The diorama is amazing too! I´m an absolute fan of this plane and i think your work is the best homage for it. I love the cockpit and the fine paint and weathering. The detail is awesome for this scale. :clap2: A winner in any contest!

Regards. TRUSKY1965.

Hi Rich F

I must apologise to you. Somehow I totally missed this build, all of it. I feel really bad that I never popped in to offer a :gobsmacked: or a :banghead: as I am wont to do.

I have to say, looking back through this build, it really is gold star material. I am mega impressed.

I do however have one issue- early on, you said the cocpit painting was your best bit, later you say it was painting the airframe... :shrug:

Funnily enough, secured in a secret location, I have all the parts you used to build this fantastic model- cogs and things are starting to whir and spin.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

embarrassed that i missed this one!!

that is an exceptional display,the weathering ,the set up of the figures ,the realistic load out ,all combine to make this look like a snapshot of life on the frontline!!

there are no obvious faults with how this is set up (i.e pilot and nav strapped in ,ready to go whilst the sooties are still fitting the engine) just perfect :speak_cool:

• 2 years later...