1/72 Revell Tornado GR.1 - 17 Sqn

Rich F

I've finally got off the starting blocks with this, first job cutting the sanding blocks off the Aires cockpit bits. After a quick wash came the fitting. Knowing that Aires are notorious for poor fitting this wasn't going to be easy and it wasn't, spent most of the day sanding then test fitting until finally the damn thing fit. this was only after I'd sanded through the cockpit floor on the tub. The biggest problem was trying to squeeze the cockpit and the undercarriage bay in. :banghead:

So managed to stuff all of this...

TornadoBuild021.jpg

Into this.

TornadoBuild011.jpg

I also decided to open up a couple of the avionics bays to add a bit of interest.

TornadoBuild007.jpg

Managed to achieve quite a good fit in the end, just the the instrument coaming needs a bit of filler, well chuffed

TornadoBuild010.jpg

I also had the PP Aeroparts nose cone which is a vast improvement over the kit offering. Its really meant for the Hasegawa kit as it comes with part of the forward fuselage moulded aswell, after sawing this bit off i offered upto the Revell kit and said a silent prayer :pray: it fits like a glove, thank god!

Here you can see the difference in the nose cones, i think the PP Areoparts one really captures the 'double curve' much better than Revell's.

TornadoBuild014.jpg

Next up, painting the cockpit, probably my favourite bit.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Rich F

Looking good so far, that nose really does make a difference. I believe Dr.Pepperresins has made a few for the ROG kit, cannot comment on them though. Nearly finished test fitting my pit now and I don't believe, luckily, I have had as much hassle as you because mine will be inflight. I assume you will go for the canopy open, if not, I would check the seat height because I think the aires seats may be slightly overscale. Anywyas good progress so far :thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished the office now, Aires casting is a work of art, but a bugger to paint, the tiny details really tested my eyes at times. :hypnotised: This is definitely my last 1/72 kit, well, for a while anyway.

Paints used were Humbrol & Revell enamels followed by a few washes with oils and highlighted with enamels.

TornadoBuild025.jpg

TornadoBuild030.jpg

TornadoBuild034.jpg

TornadoBuild039.jpg

Just started on the Aires wheel wells, these are just as nice as the cockpit.

TornadoBuild040.jpg

Cheers

Rich

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd better post a couple of Pics just to prove that i am still plugging away at this one, albiet at a snails pace.

I'm not going to load the AIM-9L's so I thought i better add a bit of detail to the pylons.

TornadoBuild047.jpg

Just about got the kit together now, but not without problems, trying to get the Airwaves dropped flaps and slats wing set too fit involved a bit of surgery. I think I'm right in saying that the wings were designed to fit the Hasegawa kits, the Pivot points are totally different and needed to be be redrilled to fit in the Revell kit.

I also decided to add a bit of suface detail to the wings as they are a bit sparse compared to the kit ones.

TornadoBuild058.jpg

TornadoBuild061.jpg

Good job i had the PP Aeropart's Tornado detail set as it contains a set of wing retraction seals, much needed if using the Airwaves wing set!

TornadoBuild068.jpg

Lastly noticed that the Revell kit sits a bit high at the front when on its wheels, thought I'd compare the kit gear to a pic of a real one, look at the gear linkage on the kit, looks like there no weight on it!

TornadoBuild045.jpg

Not far from the painting bit now :elephant: my favourite bit, i hope!

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Right, got the bulk of the wrap-around done, I did my usual pre-shading with Humbrol black 85, then i felt brave and decided to spray it free hand with my Badger 150 using a fine nozzle. Took 3 spraying sessions to get it all done.

TornadoBuild085.jpg

The result was i think was a good one, yeah theres a bit of over spray that needs sorting but I never did think it would be perfect first time round. Oh BTW I used Humbrol Gloss 5 for the DSG and Xtracolour X116 Vietnam Green for the er...well Green! Picked up a tip for using these colours from can't remember where. :fraidnot:

TornadoBuild070.jpg

TornadoBuild080.jpg

TornadoBuild079.jpg

Looking at Verlindens Lock on for the Tornado i noticed that the aircraft featured a lot of swapped around panels from other A/C with various shades of Green and Grey and soft and hard edge camo so I'm going too try and recreate this. I think the trick well be too try and make it look not to obvious and not to over do it.

Im off for a :drink:

Rich :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Guys! Well, reached another milestone, finally got the million tiny decals on, only took a week :analintruder: I used the kit decals and Almark decals for the squadron markings.

Here's how she looks now.

TornadoBuild095.jpg

TornadoBuild098.jpg

Next up is a coat of Clear, then a wash with Promodellers dark weathering wash.

Hopefully get this one finished by the end of the month.

Rich

Edited by Rich F