1/72 Israeli Staghound

Woof. What a build. Sometimes less than a lot of fun, but I pushed through it. Done as Israeli Staghound in 1956 war. 2nd place in its category at 2007 IPMS-USA Nationals in Anaheim. Pretty lucky considering it was dropped the day prior to entry as I was going into my hotel room door and it blew up. Reinstalled the turret, put the pintle-mount .30 back on, shortened the antenna to take the kink out of it, straightened the bent-over grass out, glued it back to the road. Couldn't do much for the scratches caused by the base bouncing off the model after hitting the floor.

normal_Steve_Collins_-_1-72_RPM_-3.jpg

normal_Steve_Collins_-_1-72_RPM_-2.jpg

normal_Steve_Collins_-_1-72_RPM_-1.jpg

normal_Steve_Collins_-_1-72_RPM_Isr.jpg

All comments welcomed.

Photos credit Don Crowe.

• Like 2

:wow:

What a lovely build.....I thought it looked a little dark in the first picture but the depth of colour in your paintwork really shows up in the latter pictures. Really nice work on the weathering too! :clap2:

I've picked up one each of the RPM Staghound Is and had a cursory peep in the boxes.....They look very involved to say the least and I get the impression you had some issues with your kit. Would you have any advice for a comparative novice building these for gaming purposes.....I had already decided to leave out the engine for the sake of a quicker and easier build. :shrug:

TIA & All the best

Andy Smith

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Andy,

Thanks for the comments. The first picture was taken with less flash, I think. The later ones are pretty much true color. For wargaming, the Staghound is pretty good. Leave out all the interior stuff if you're going to have the hatches closed (there's a ton of it in there, too - full turret, two engines, seats, etc). I didn't really have many fit issues except where the top fits on the sides of the body and getting the fenders to fit flush. Make sure to really clean up the mold seams both on the suspension hubs and inside the openings in the wheels. You'll get an easier fit that way. If you build the turret as shown, you'll have an opening under the gun in the mantlet. I filled mine with a scrap of sheet plastic. The coaxial machine gun fitted next to the breach of the cannon is fiddly to get in straight. Other than those things, it was just a matter of a lot of very small parts. I was pretty pleased with it when done, though.

Mish,

Next time I'll use larger photos. I just copied those straight from our club's website, so they were optimized for it. Thanks for the kind words.

Steve

• 5 years later...