1/72 Tornado GR.1

Seamus

That has got to be one of the best schemes the RAF had in my book, and on an extremely well built model too Shaun, not far now :thumbsup2:

Bex

The yellow and brown bands around the sidewinders would not settle down at all,even with lashings of microsol, so I'll paint them on instead before I matt coat them.

Try setting them down with Klear. Brush some Klear round the missile, then after loosening your stripes in water, drain them off on some kitchen towel, then dip them in your Klear. Drain off the excess on your kitchen towel again, then use a small brush to transfer them on to the missile.

Dip your brush in the Klear, then run it round and over the stripes until they conform onto the missile, then just leave them to dry overnight.

By the way you could fool anyone that your build is 1/48th or even 1/32nd. Great result so far.

Al

Thanks for the kind words boys and girls :thumbsup2:

Try setting them down with Klear. Brush some Klear round the missile, then after loosening your stripes in water, drain them off on some kitchen towel, then dip them in your Klear. Drain off the excess on your kitchen towel again, then use a small brush to transfer them on to the missile.

Dip your brush in the Klear, then run it round and over the stripes until they conform onto the missile, then just leave them to dry overnight.

By the way you could fool anyone that your build is 1/48th or even 1/32nd. Great result so far.

Al

Thanks for the tip mate. I'll have to bear it in mind for the future though as obviously I've wasted no time in getting those bands painted on :lol:

While I'm here, the undercarriage legs and bays and the airbrakes have all received the first layer of an oil wash- will get the second on before I go bed- and I've covered the airframe with a dark pastel wash to highlight those panel lines. I'll let that all dry nicely until tomorrow, when I'll clean it all up :)

Cheers

Shaun

Future - Klear - Future..... geddit?

:coat:

:rofl:

I did think that when I wrote it actually, but decided against emphasising it as it was just too shocking :lol:

Thanks very much gents :D Sean, why not crack yours open with this GB, you know it makes sense ;)

Right then, more progress today and weathering is just about complete. As I said, I applied a dark pastel wash to highlight the panel lines. This wasn't an entire success, as some of the panel lines were a bit too shallow after all the coats of Klear to receive the wash fully, but nevertheless I'm happy enough with the results- gives it a less than uniform result, which is the way it should be I think. At least, that's my excuse :whistle: I've also applied an oil wash to dirty up the wheel wells, undercarriage and airbrake bays. 3 coats were needed to give the wash enough depth, but has come out OK in the end I think once I cleaned it up a bit. Finally, I've lightly applied oil paints to highlight some of the panels and panel lines, as well as the streaking on the rear underside of the fuselage and around some of the control surface hinges. The exhausts as you can see are not yet complete, and are dryfitted in place as they needed to be stained as well :) Overall, I haven't gone too OTT with the weathering as from pics I've looked at they seemed to have been kept in relatively clean condition.

DSCF6614.jpg

DSCF6615.jpg

DSCF6616.jpg

DSCF6617.jpg

Still need to spray the thrust reverser stains over the base of the fin, then it'll be a case of getting a matt coat sprayed. But that's for another day :D

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome as always

Cheers

Shaun :)

:speak_cool: Very nice weathering Seamus,one thing I remember about the Tonka was how dirty the fin got from the reverse thrust buckets as in the photo above,keep up the excellant work.

Cheers Andy

Edited by andy s

Thanks very much guys and gals, you're far too kind ^_^

Tiny update to show I'm not slacking :whistle::lol: I've now sprayed the filth on the fin, so the weathering is now complete. Sprayed highly thinned black in very light coats to gradually build it up. I also lightly sprayed over the metallic areas on the metallic areas on the fin to give them a bit of wear.

DSCF6620.jpg

DSCF6625.jpg

It's really cold in the garage, so I may wait until tomorrow to spray the matt coat. In the meantime, I've got a bit of assembly to do, and I may add the undercarriage at this stage as it's quite fiddly and will be easier to get on before the matt coat whilst the model is easier to handle.

Comments welcome as always

Cheers

Thanks very much peeps :D

Going to save these photos for reference if you don't mind ;).

Feel free John, though judging from your own build you're doing just fine without them ;)

(From the best base I ever served at,cant say the same for the Sqn tho! shoul've been 17f!!!lol)

Ha, 17 Sqn was the other option in the box, but that was in current boring grey on grey scheme, which is why I chose the 9 Sqn machine :)

Cheers

Cheers Sean :)

Well the Tonka is now complete, so I'll post some final pics up in a bit. Thanks to all for the kind words throughout the build, really is appreciated :worthy:

Cheers