1/72 Tornado GR.1

Seamus

Thanks very much peeps :thmbsup2:

Looks like a nice little kit - lots of weapon options too. Revell are putting some real gems out at way lower prices than their armamentally-challenged Japanese competitors.

You're not wrong mate- going with the ALARMs leaves with a pair of LGBs, 4x 1000lb bombs and 2 1500 ltr tanks for the spares box, as well the recce and ECM pods for the ECR. Pretty much a weapons set in itself :lol: Plus, I snaffled this kit off ebay for around £6.50, so what an absolute bargain it really is. Happy days :D

I thought I could build fast my friend, but you beat me hands down :worthy::yahoo:

Well, I've got naff all else to do! Good to see you've recovered from your flu too ;)

While I'm here, may as well report that I've just sprayed the DSG, so I'll let that dry before masking the camo pattern off with some blu-tak sausages later on this evening, in preparation for spraying the Dark Green tomorrow when its a bit warmer :)

Cheers

Shaun :)

More to report with the GR.1 then and the camo is on. Sprayed the DSG yesterday, then masked off with thin blu-tak sausages, to get a very very soft demarcation, in filled with masking tape- took about 3 hours to get it all masked up! Then I sprayed the DG this morning before un-masking this evening. Pulling off the masking tape has to be one of the most satisfying things in modelling :lol: Here are the results:

DSCF6568.jpg

DSCF6569.jpg

DSCF6570.jpg

DSCF6572.jpg

There's the odd bit of overspray and other areas that need a bit of touching up, but overall I'm happy with it, particularly the effect of the preshade, which is something I usually struggle with when spraying darker colours. I'll crack on with the amendments tomorrow.

The pylons and stores have been sprayed and I also need to mask off and spray the grey areas that protect the wing when it sweeps back. However, I'm not sure what the best match for this grey is- the instructions are typically unhelpful for Revell and say 'mouse grey' whatever that is :hmmm: Any pointers here gratefully received :)

Thanks for looking, C&C welcomed

Cheers

Ta Mish ^_^

So it's not just me then!

Dan

Aparently not! :lol: It's just one of those really satisfying things, much like slowly pulling the acetate off a new mobile or laptop screen. I'm I the only who likes that too? :hmmm:

The pylons and stores have been sprayed and I also need to mask off and spray the grey areas that protect the wing when it sweeps back. However, I'm not sure what the best match for this grey is- the instructions are typically unhelpful for Revell and say 'mouse grey' whatever that is :hmmm: Any pointers here gratefully received :)

Cheers

Shaun,just do it a lighter shade of grey,I gather it's a graphite coating to ease friction when the wings sweep.

Merv

the instructions are typically unhelpful for Revell and say 'mouse grey' whatever that is :hmmm: Any pointers here gratefully received :)

Thanks for looking, C&C welcomed

Cheers

You sound so surprised that the Revell painting instructions are utter man-vegetables Shaun :yikes: Id suggest you bin them and just talk to Merv instead :worthy:

Considering how long you've been working on this my friend its up to your usual standard of :gobsmacked::worthy:

Not long now Shaun :thumbsup2: You gonna go for a second entry :lol:

Bex

You sound so surprised that the Revell painting instructions are utter man-vegetables Shaun :yikes: Id suggest you bin them and just talk to Merv instead :worthy:

Considering how long you've been working on this my friend its up to your usual standard of :gobsmacked::worthy:

Not long now Shaun :thumbsup2: You gonna go for a second entry :lol:

Bex

Ta Bex :thumsup2: I doubt I'll go for a second entry- the only other Tornado in the stash is the god-awful 1/48 Airfix F.3, which I can't be bothered to faff around with in the build up to Christmas. In fact, this GR.1 may well be my final build of the year, unless I can squeeze something else quick and easy in before crimbo :hmmm:

nope

(In Monty Burns voice) Excellent!

Slow down mate i'm getting a nosebleed!

Nice work though, i'm trying to do that scheme on another quickie build i'm doing. looks good!

Al

Al's right..

Shaun,dear young Shaun....

SLOW THE FUDGE DOWN!!!

Thes still 4 bleedin months to go!Whaddya gonna build when youre off work for xmas?

(some kitchen unit's,flatpack?)

BTW,

Good job!

Merv

Edited by spike7451

Cheers gents, though you might want to get some more tissues for your nose Al as here comes another update :lol:

Not a great deal to report in truth, I've simply spent the day sorting out the touch-ups that needed doing as well as spraying the wing-sweep protection at the roots. A bit of additional detail painting and she's now ready for some Klear coats in preparation for the decals.

DSCF6577.jpg

DSCF6576.jpg

Hopefully be able to start decalling tomorrow, unless Al starts to get light headed from blood loss :lol:

Comments welcome as always

Cheers

Pardon one's french but that is F***in sweeeeeet!!! What a stunning bit of painting.

I'm defo keeping an eye on this beauty.

Eng

Wow, thanks for those great comments peeps, you're far too kind :blush:

Just a note to say I've started the decalling- 3 or 4 hours in and I've got the stores, pylons and the upper port wing done- man there are a lot of stencils :banghead:

Hopefully I'll be able to get it all done during tomorrow, when I'll put some pics up

Cheers

A bit more progress and I've knocked the 'pit together

DSCF6555.jpg

DSCF6559.jpg

Before fitting it inside the forward fuselage.

DSCF6561.jpg

DSCF6562.jpg

I've also sprayed the cans and the metallic areas on the fin. No problems with the Alclad jet exhasut for the burners, but as usual the dark aluminium has come out dull :hmmm: Always seems to happen, but haven't managed to work out why yet. I'm not too bothered about the areas on the fin as these will be dirtied up later when I spray the dirt thrown over the fin from the thrust reversers, but I may have to respray the thrust buckets themselves, just to give them a bit more of a shine.

Comments welcome as always

Cheers

That cockpit is stunning, Shaun. Why didn't God give us modellers more than one pair of hands?

Tony :clif:

Thank you very much Tony ^_^

I could certainly have done with at least two more, very small hands when it came to them buckles, fiddly little beggars :lol:

That is one outstanding build!

Mine's a 1/32 and the level of detail youve crammed into that 1/72 cockpit really does put me to shame!

Likewise that paintwork is superb. :goodjob:

BTW it isnt just you who enjoys the "peeling thing". I recently removed some masking tape from the canopy of a 1/32 Tomcat having been tempted to remove it several times, for a peek. the pressure was intense but the satisfaction in the end was sooooooo........!

Likewise my wife has the habit of keeping screen protectors on her phones. :viking: Its a battle to get em removed (screen protectors that is) but I win in the end.

Really need to get out more!

:drink:

Thanks very much fella ^_^

Another update then and the decalling is done. Was at it all yesterday evening and this afternoon- probably around 9-10 hours work in total, so many stencils! :hypnotised: Still, I love this part of the build, the model really comes alive with all the markings on :D

The airframe

DSCF6579.jpg

DSCF6580.jpg

DSCF6597.jpg

DSCF6598.jpg

And the stores

DSCF6589.jpg

DSCF6602.jpg

DSCF6609.jpg

The yellow and brown bands around the sidewinders would not settle down at all,even with lashings of microsol, so I'll paint them on instead before I matt coat them.

DSCF6611.jpg

I still need to seal the decals in, then it'll be onto the weathering

Thanks for looking, comments welcome as always

Cheers