1/72 Tornado GR.1

Seamus

Here we go then with my build for this GB. I've decided to build Revell's beautiful little 1/72 kit. I'll be building it strictly OOB as it's nicely detailed for this scale, and I'll be using the kit decals to finish her in the markings of 9 Sqn in the oh-so-lovely wraparound camo, as shown on the box art :) She'll be fitted out for the SEAD role with a couple of ALARMS slung underneath.

The obligatory box and contents shots ^_^

DSCF6497.jpg

DSCF6504.jpg

DSCF6498.jpg

DSCF6491.jpg

Now, before I start, I'd appreciate one of our resident experts clarifying the cockpit colour for me. I've looked through the reference shots, but can't quite make my mind up on what the correct shade is. Any feedback would be gratefully received :)

Hopefully I'll make a start on this one tomorrow as it's its just too nippy in the workshop this evening :cold:

Cheers

Shaun :)

Nice choice ! Re. cockpit colour, I've had a few long searches aswell and I believe RAF Tornados were medium sea grey, however luftwaffe were medium/stone kinda grey.

good look with the build, definitely a nice kit, really want to start mine now.

cheers

Ok, some progress to report then. It's been far too cold to do any spraying out in the workshop over the last couple of days, so I've been chipping away with loads of little jobs in the warmth of my living room, which would help speed the assembly up once I got some spraying done. Well it warmed up a bit today, so I've done the main spraying for the office, seats, engines (primed), missiles, undecarriage, doors and wells, airbrakes and bays and the IFR probe. For the latter two, I'm still undecided whether I'll extend them (handling accident waiting to happen :lol:), but I'll check the fit of them in the closed position, which if poor will seal the deal :) The fin has been built and masked off for the metallic areas to be sprayed (also have been primed) and the canopy has been dipped in Klear before being masked off and the interior colour sprayed over the framing.

DSCF6518.jpg

DSCF6508.jpg

The rear fuselage has been assembled complete with main and tailplanes,

DSCF6510.jpg

The Hindy tanks, Boz pod and Sky shadow have been assembled and the seems sanded- these were especially bad on the tanks, and the raised detail made sanding tricky, some of which I lost :(

DSCF6515.jpg

Quite a lot of little things done there, but should be able to push on now with some detail painting in the cockpit before closing everything up and joining all the sub-assemblies together.

A pretty dull update I know, but comments welcome nevertheless :D

Cheers

Lol you are too quick! Nice job though! I have had the same problem with the tanks and I tried to fix it using masking tape and a mr.surfacer aerosol can, masking a small line and building it up with surfacer. It kinda worked :winkgrin:

Small warning about the cockpit though. Rog locating pins for the rear IP and middle console are "off" and will result with the pilot part of the cockpit being very cramped and the W.S.O with plenty of leg space, but if there are no pilots it props wont matter.

cheers

Thanks peeps ^_^

Small warning about the cockpit though. Rog locating pins for the rear IP and middle console are "off" and will result with the pilot part of the cockpit being very cramped and the W.S.O with plenty of leg space, but if there are no pilots it props wont matter.

Cheers for that tip Will. I thought something was off when I did a dry fit :hmmm: I won;t be adding any pilots though, and will probably have the canopy close, so I'll just leave it I reckon ;)

Cheers

:hmmm: Interesting.........Looks like Revell buggered up there! :lol:

I don't suppose they could be mounted on the port outboard pylon, and the sky shadow vice versa? If not, I think I'll probably leave it and pretend it's right :lol:

Damn, I thought that might be the case.

Oh well, I might have a go at sorting it, though it's the sort of thing I can normally live with :shithappens:

Ok, more progress then and the detail painting in the office is largely done. After spraying it MSG yesterday, I drybrushed some black over the tub and panels to bring out the surface detail and dirty everything up a bit. I overdid the rear bullkhead, so I toned it down by drybrushing MSG over the top. Then, various knobs and switches were picked out with white, yellow and red based loosely on the pictures in the reference thread- the kit tub isn't 100% accurate so I used a bit of artistic license here :D

DSCF6520.jpg

For the front and rear IP, I picked out the dials and screens in gloss black to give them a bit of a shine. I'm assuming the screens are black when switched off- if not, I'll go over them with some clear green. As ever, the macro hasn't been too kind to me here and some of the buttons looks a bit messy- they do look better to the naked eye....honest ;)

DSCF6538.jpg

DSCF6550.jpg

I drybrushed the seats with black to bring out the detail, before painting the cushions and ejection handle. The belts were made from Tamiya tape, and stained using a burnt umber wash. The buckles were made from 5A fuse wire wrapped around some fine tweezers and cut with a scalpel. These things are seriously tiny (and still a bit overscale), and were a nightmare getting onto the straps :hypnotised: Still, I'd say they were an improvement over the moulded straps.

DSCF6554.jpg

The control columns and rear IP coaming have also been painted up, so I can go ahead and get the whole office assembled and hopefully button up the forward fuselage later on this evening.

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed as ever

Cheers

Shaun

A bit more progress and I've knocked the 'pit together

DSCF6555.jpg

DSCF6559.jpg

Before fitting it inside the forward fuselage.

DSCF6561.jpg

DSCF6562.jpg

I've also sprayed the cans and the metallic areas on the fin. No problems with the Alclad jet exhasut for the burners, but as usual the dark aluminium has come out dull :hmmm: Always seems to happen, but haven't managed to work out why yet. I'm not too bothered about the areas on the fin as these will be dirtied up later when I spray the dirt thrown over the fin from the thrust reversers, but I may have to respray the thrust buckets themselves, just to give them a bit more of a shine.

Comments welcome as always

Cheers

Flipping eck Shaun, that hard to believe its 1:72 what that detail. Well done.

:ditto::stupid:

Are you sure youre not telling porkies and this is really 48th :yikes: Looks really good Shaun, shes gonna be one to be seriously proud of the way youre going my friend :thumbsup2:

Bex

Thank you very much guys and gals ^_^

Mish, Bex, I can assure you she is 1/72, I haven't converted to the darkside of 1/48 just yet :wicked::lol:

More progress then and having completed most of the construction she's just about ready for paint. I've left the engines off to ease masking,, and the canopy has been blu-tacked in place as I intend to display it in the open position, along with the airbrakes. There was a nasty seam on the underside of the forward fuselage which I've sanded smooth, and (badly) rescribed the panel lines lost during the sanding. There was also a bit of sanding and filling needed around the join between the two fuselage sections, but hopefully all is now well :)

DSCF6563.jpg

DSCF6564.jpg

It's just a case now of masking everything off in preparation for a preshade, though I won't be spraying until tomorrow as it's bloody freezing out in the workshop :cold:

Comments welcomed as always

Cheers

Managed to find a cheeky hour after the derby (get in! :lol:) to crack on with the Tornado, and have now sprayed the preshade. I've also sprayed the radome, wingtips and the leading edge of the fin that need to be black, which will need to be masked off before the camo goes on.

DSCF6565.jpg

DSCF6566.jpg

DSCF6567.jpg

Hope to at least get the DSG sprayed tomorrow, though have to be careful not to obliterate the preshade with it- something I seem to do with darker tones :hmmm:

Comments welcome as always

Cheers

Very nice work with the pit Shaun - especially those belts and buckles :hypnotised:

Looks like a nice little kit - lots of weapon options too. Revell are putting some real gems out at way lower prices than their armamentally-challenged Japanese competitors.