1/32 Revell/Flightpath Tornado GR.4

Alan P

Thanks a lot folks!

bexwh773 said:
Flightpath produce some of the most amazing PE for kits, but Im glad Im not the only one who struggles to understand their instructions :mental:

David clearly has a sense of humour about it though - buried in the instructions for the Revell F-4E set I found step 9: "To avoid imminent divorce, go and make a fuss of your wife" :lol:

Edited by Alan P

Thank you very much for posting guys n gals!

spike7451 said:
Very nice again Al..

Merv

(ps,dont forget to add the odd jelly baby,eggy ham roll & empty crisp packet behind the seats for that truelly authentic touch!!)

Merv

Pilots eh? I "found" a lump of scone jam nestling behind the transponder switch the other day, one of the messier examples of various foodstuffs left by their previous owners for the next crew to "enjoy". My personal fave was the empty water bottle left to sit just behind the rudder pedals, thus restricting their movement.

:fraidnot:

Edited by Alan P

Some work completed on the cockpit - it's getting there.

I'm really happy with the way the consoles turned out, the detail seems to leap out.

tn_11

No idea where all this plumbing will go - at the moment it interferes with the front seat.

Here are the instrument panels test fitted:

tn_10 tn_12

I noticed a lot of the Op Telic aircraft had these field mods with flaps of canvas to shade the MFDs, These are made with superglued tissues.

Coupla things:

Anyone got any good pics of the rear of the pilot's cockpit, and...were there any other field-type mods to the cockpit that were a) added around the time of Telic and b ) noticeable/obvious?

Cheers, :cheers:

Alan

Edited by Alan P

Al,

Tremendous work on the cockpit!!! :clap2::clap2:

Coupla things:

Anyone got any good pics of the rear of the pilot's cockpit, and

Were there any other field-type mods to the cockpit that were a) added only during Telic and b ) noticeable?

Cheers, :cheers:

Al

The backseater has two joysticks (fitted to the canopy rails) used to fire off (chaff and flare) countermeasures. I think this was a std GR4 mod but I'm probably wrong.

HTH,

Ian

Phartycr0c said:
Stop It! Stop it now! Ill never keep up with that!

very nice though!

This is your launchpad mate, make it fly!

spike7451 said:
Looking good Al,

Dont forget the cockpit floor in the GR4 is black,green in the GR1.(use fine glasspaper cut to shape to replicate the none slip coating)

Merv

Brilliant save mate, I'd forgotten all about that! :doh:

Edited by Alan P

That looks amazing! just a couple of things you could add:

In both cockpits on the left hand side are two P shaped handles - think Pirelli "P", long and flat - which fire the MDC / Manual Canopy sep.

In the back, on the front right hand corner of the right hand console is a voltmeter. It's mounted on a bit on metal bent into a cube, with the face on the top surface. Its about a 1 inch high cube. I've searched my pictures and I'm afraid I don't have one of it, otherwise I'd post it.

I don't know how you intend to display the jet, but the SOP on the ground is to wrap the arm (white) and leg (blue) restraints around the stick, and to lay them over the nav hand controller pedestal in the back. It's quite noticeable when you look at the cockpit.

Regarding the back of the front cockpit. There is no bulkhead. There is a bit of a back wall behind the seat onto which the MDC cross shaft is mounted, but it doesn't extend to the floor. if you look behind the seat you can see into the navs footwells, which have footrests shaped like rudder pedals on sliding rails.

also, on the right hand side of the rear cockpit, about half way back is a flat plate. On the outside edge. In the jet, the command eject lever sticks up there. It's about 2 inches long and black and yellow. Think of a big toggle switch and you won't be far wrong.

Edit to add: I've posted some photos which show the space behind the pilots seat which should clarify my points above. See my thread in the GB forum.

HTH

Thom

Edited by Thom

Big :thumbsup2: out to Thom, cheers for the pics of the mid-cockpit "bulkhead", that's a great help! That's a heck of a boob for the Revell kit, putting a bleedin' great bulkhead where there isn't one? Got any more nice pics like that? Any useful references would be gratefully received - you can post them here if you want!

Still cracking on with this thing, chopped up the wing halves and am just liberating the Paragon flaps from their nice thick casting stubs. Easy does it!

Al

Edited by Alan P

Hey buddy, no worries. I'm just slightly embarassed that my effort may not look quite so good as yours. Still, I've got the kit to start and I can but try...

Was there anything in partictular you wanted to see? I carry my mobile at work so I can always grab a quick snap of anything, provided it isn't classified! As far as I can tell, the britmodeller fraternity are pretty well bang on when it comes to Tornado references (which is why I've never posted one of mine yet - I'm nothing like brave enough!) but I can always go out and grab a quick snap of anything.

edit to add: the handles mentioned earlier are all positioned on the canopy sill, positioned so that they are level with the TV tabs when the canopy is closed. They are matt black all over - no colour whatsoever, and a similar shape to the stick top of a regular GR4.

Thom

Edited by Thom

Thom said:
I don't know how you intend to display the jet, but the SOP on the ground is to wrap the arm (white) and leg (blue) restraints around the stick, and to lay them over the nav hand controller pedestal in the back. It's quite noticeable when you look at the cockpit.

10%20-%20Tornado%20Rear%20Cockpit.jpg

Like that?

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1