1/32 Revell/Flightpath Tornado GR.4

Alan P

Hi folks,

[This was originally part of the first Tornado Group Build back in 2008, hence the various references to deadlines and finish dates!]

Here's the project:

tn_2

Aftermarket stuff:

tn_DSCN2736

I have a lot of Flightpath stuff - the conversion and detail set, TIALD and ALARMs. Also, not pictured is the GBU-24 RAF version with the windmill fuse tail. I also have the indispensable Paragon seats, and the flaps and slats set.

tn_DSCN2737

Decals from Fantasy Printshop - 18 to choose from. Too many choices! I have so little idea what to do i might just make one up out of various nose art cos it looks good. At the moment I am drawn towards Alarm Maiden or Dallas Dhu, but might end up doing Hot Stuff with the big sharkmouth, or whatever!

Either way, it will be a Telic bird.

All the best,

Alan

Edited by Alan P

Looks nice Phat,

If you look in the F3 resouces you'll find some detail photo's of the wings with the flaps & slats out.Jabba has added some Telic nose art to the noseart thread. (note the headboxes are different on some of the jets.

Oh & where did you get the decals from?

Merv

Edited by spike7451

Cheers Merv, nice to have the heads up about the headboxes. The new version is included in the Flightpath set, so hopefully won't get caught out with that one!

And seeing the original noseart it's a relief to see the decal set has pretty good fidelity with the real thing. I got them direct from fantasyprintshop.co.uk at £20 a pop :yikes:

GAME ON!

Edited by Alan P

Wow, thats lining up to be one nice looking build. some nice extras there.

I'll be watching this one. so good Luck with it.

Dave

Phartycr0c said:
Spike, I have virtually the same project without the TIALD and ALARM's, and grabbed some of the fantasy print shop decals. They really are outstanding works of art! .

ZG 714 for me!

Phatness, ill race ya! (joking!)

Pharty are you doing the Flightpath set too? We will have to compare notes, and you can laugh at me when I put all the bits on upside down cos I can't understand the instructions!

I promise not to step on your toes mate! :innocent:

Edited by Alan P

Hey Al! I've got exactly the same kit and extras, minus the decals, so although I won;t be in the groupbuild, I will be watching your progress with great interest! It might even inspire me to actually build my one! :D

Edited by busdriver

Hey Al! I've got exactly the same kit and extras, minus the decals, so although I won;t be in the groupbuild, I will be watching your progress with great interest! It might even inspire me to actually build my one! :D

Great minds and all that!

I have a question for you mate, PM to follow.

Cheers Al

See that Flightpath have just released a load of goodies for this kit-storm shadow and Hindenberger tanks. Hannants have em, think they are new and not a re-stock. Ordered loads of stuff to join in the fun incl. full Flightpath detail set etc, which I had to cancel today as my compressor is bust, and needs to be sent away for a service/repair. Expensive I reckon...

Pharty are you doing the flightpath set too?

We will have to compare notes, and you can laugh at me when i put all the bits on upside down cos i can't understand the instructions!

I promise not to step on your toes mate! :innocent:

Mate you won,t be stepping on my toes at all. I am using the flightpath set including the seats with all the etched stuff which i confess i have already started!

The instructions as you say take a bit of understanding but once you have a picture in your head as to how it goes, it all falls together. (ish)

Having compared your tigermeet and my effort, I sir, will be prostrating myself.

Edited by Phartycr0c

Phartycr0c said:
One other "issue" is that I cant really get stuck into mine until the new year..... work and S@*t

OK Pharty, I'll blaze the trail, make the mistakes, and you can clear up! :analintruder:

Made a start - cockpit first, added some details like knobs and switches, thrust levers and wingswingy lever

tn_DSCN2740

Had some goes at the Flightpath stuff. As Pharty says, it's fairly self explanatory despite the bewildering instructions.

Nav's box unit, with some wiring added:@

tn_DSCN2742

One of the MFDs with wiring added:

tn_DSCN2741

If you're using the Flightpath stuff, don't forget to punch out the rivet detail from the back of each part, there are recesses to show where you need to do this.

For the etch bending Iused Radu Brinzan's bending tool and Tamiya etch pliers, which are a very useful multi-purpose tool.

I've got a couple of weeks leave coming up next week, so hopefuly I can forge ahead and break the back of this beast - all sorts of happy memories are flooding back of my last one! I would very much recommend you have a look at Ted Taylor's builds of this kit - he really nailed a lot of the shortcomings and fixes you will need to make.

Ted's Tornado GR.1 with Paragon flaps

Ted's Tornado GR.1 with CAM detail set

Alan

Edited by Alan P

Watching with interest Al, had one of these when I was about 10 and remember it being bloody huge!

Looking very nice so far.

Rgds,

Eng

Hi, progress is slow, mostly due to the photoetch and backing film for the instruments - everything needs painting before fitting, and it's tricky working out what needs to be painted first, and what order to do the colours and so on.

A lot of people use pre-shading on the final paint job, so here's my technique for the cockpit - first primed with Tamiya rattle can fine grey primer then pre-shaded with a really thick, splattery mix of Gunze Aqueous acrylic black (about 70% paint to thinner)

tn_DSCN2762

Then a once-over with 50% thinned WEM Colourcoats Dark Compass Grey till the splattery bits had nearly disappeared - this gave a really feathered light and dark shadowing which you can almost see in this whitened-out pic:

tn_DSCN2765

The real life version leaves a subtle 3D weathered effect.

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

You getting along nicely there Al :thumbsup2: Its funny, Flightpath produce some of the most amazing PE for kits, but Im glad Im not the only one who struggles to understand their instructions :mental: I used it on Dads Vulcan, and gave most of the left overs to Ed co I couldnt understand the instruction sheet :yikes:

Bex

Nice work so far Al, I bet this she is a biggun at 1/32.

JB.