Castrol Toyota Tom's Supra GT 1/24

I've got to admit that cars aren't my thing, more of a bike person you see... but this one is just so nice I had to get it. If any one played Gran Torismo on the PlayStation then you know the Toyota Supra GT in Castrol colours was the car to run and this is a model of that very car :D

cs_1.jpg

First bits of work completed on the body, some filing, attached the vents/fins on the hood and the spoiler on the boot :)

cs_2.jpg

Edited by Paul B

Well, I did have some progress pics to show you but I can't load them onto my host site due to connection reasons (still - Orange BB :badmood: )

Primed the chassis and the front sus' and gear box and have dry fitted 'em - very nice :)

The rear sus' and axle has been primed and is drying

The body has been primed and so far has had three light coats of gloss white (Tamiya acrylic X-2). I've been useing Halfords Finishing Pads (Medium & Fine) between coats to keep it all smooth. I've had to order a few colours that I don't have, so for the moment it's just continue to cut out, sand and prime the bits.

:( and it was going so well... primed it - sprayed it (3 coats of gloss white & two clear coats) rubbed it down with Tamiya polishing compound (& wipped it) then sprayed on Xtracylix Gloss Varnish. Left it to dry and when I'd come back all the varnish had cracked...

Stripped it back to the plastic but the stripper was a little agressive on it and there's hundreds of brush marks all over the body shell :( not giving up as I'v deamed it as 100% savable - The up-side is I wasn't overly happy with the finish I'd achived and now have a secong chance :)

Edited by Paul B

I've put Xtracrylix on over Tamiya acrylic paint before now & had it craze... I think it's to be avoided. :S

You need a couple of coats of Mr Surfacer, then sand it down to remove the brush marks... worra bugger :(

:hmmm: It's the first time I've used the Gloss Xtracrylic varnish but the Satin and Flat have been fine on the Tamiya acrylics todate... I think I might not have removed all of the polishing compound from the shell before spraying :S

Given it three light coats of Mr Surfacer last night and am now rubbing it back. It looks like it should come out OK but will be even better once primed and with a couple of coats of paint on there :D

Ordered some Zero Paints Pure White & Clear Coat Lacquer - the Tamiya X-2 looked off white even after four coats...

Edited by Paul B

The body shell still needs more work to get it back to 100% - I'm taking my time and it's getting there :)

The chasis, drive chain and sus' assembly are all primed and ready for spraying (weekend job) and hopfully I'll have the shell ready for spraying also :)

Edited by Paul B

I've been doing bits and pieces on both kits today, but no real progress. That should happen over the weekend :D

On order from HLJ - ATM ERTL 1967 Ford Mustang 1/24 from Fast & the Furious: Tokoyo Drift. It's the only kit of the Mustang that I could find. Thinking about doing it blue with white stripes...

Edit: Not 100% sure on which model this Mustang is as it doesn't say on the website, but the paint job suggests it's the GT350. From what I know off 'em the GT500 were normaly a single colour with the GT500 name and colour strip running along the sill line between the wheel arches.

Intrested in this car for a couple of reasons - I do like old American muscle cars & because of a film & a variant. Bullitt saw steve McQueen driving a modid 1968 Ford Mustang GT390 Fastback (coupe) in that ohh so cool car chase :) and I love the 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Fastback variant (which just happens to have been in Gone in 60 Seconds)

I've contacted Zero Paints to see if they can do a colour match for the Dark Moss Green metalic that Ford used at the time. I'm going to paint it up like McQueens GT390 - metalic green on the body with crome rims and black spokes :) Might have to mod the body also as the GT390 had slitted air vents behind the side windows where the GT350 has a solid air scoop.

Edited by Paul B

Next time I think about getting a car with this many decals somebody slap me :S

Even useing Microscale's Set & Sol I'm haveing some problems and have madaged to damage two of the decals - a bit of hand painting should sort it out though :)

It's going to be far from perfect by the time it's finished, but it'll be a good piece to look back on and say "look how crap that one turned out!" :lol: Still making a better job off it than the Tie Interceptor that got binned...

7 more decals to put on then the body's complete (decals any way) It's taken roughly 6 hours & alot of cups o'tea to get the other 50 odd in place...

Looking OK though :D

Update - finished the decals on the body this morning. I'd made a mess of about four of them but it's looking OK but not perfect...

cs_5.jpg

cs_6.jpg

cs_7.jpg

Made a start on spraying the drive chain and sus' assembly also :)

No real progress on either kits from yesterday & today as I've been doing some re-ferb work on my Landrover Disco's front bumper - the old one was rusting away to nothing, a good second hand one off e-bay has set me right (with a bit of a touch up first) and it should last another year :D

Looking good :thumbsup2:

You're right about Gran Tourismo.......I always used this car. It had the right mix of speed and handling (could easily get the back end out when needed) and I used to love razzin' it around Monaco.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep i agree with the GT although i did like the race Mazda.

I like you, am a bike man but this is turning out so well you inspired me to go and buy a car.

Well done so far, keep it up.

Wayne

On a seperate note. Can you buy drivers for the cars. I've got 2 x Tamiya Sierra Cosworths, but would want to put a driver in one of them.

:hmmm: don't know if you can get scale drivers for the cars, might be worth an investigation :)

Not been that busy on the modelling side of thigs of late, my LandRover Discovery is in need of some attention. Just fitted a new bumper, have a new drivers door on order and I'm doing some filling & re-spray work on some of the body panels. One of my mountain bikes is having to be sold to fund some of the work on the car :(

Edited by Paul B

A fun filled & action packed mornning - managed to get some work done on this model :) the sus' & drive chain assembly is nearly painted and will then be ready to fit... Also managed to get some work on the LR Disco done and have been out choosing carpet for the new flat :D

Hopfully I'll have some pics ready for posting over the weekend.

Paul

Edited by Paul B

Ooo... put everything that I'd painted together last night and it looks good. The main propshaft was two pieces so these will need filling and re-painting now they're in place.

LR Diso 1:1 scale: took it to my local indipendant LR garage (RWB in Warrington) to find it has blown the head gasket :( - this will explain the 10L of coolant that it's used in the last 4 days... It's going in next week for a sevear health check to see if it's worth fixing.

Ooo... put everything that I'd painted together last night and it looks good. The main propshaft was two pieces so these will need filling and re-painting now they're in place.

LR Diso 1:1 scale: took it to my local indipendant LR garage (RWB in Warrington) to find it has blown the head gasket :( - this will explain the 10L of coolant that it's used in the last 4 days... It's going in next week for a sevear health check to see if it's worth fixing.

Oook! :S Sounds expensive... hopefully not, but could it be the end of the Disco? Why do these things always happen at a time of great expense? :(

They look very 80's :hmmm:

|-( )-|

It's always been like that for me - save some money then something big breaks :( Thing is, IF the Disco is OK to fix up with no other forseeable problems it should last another 3 - 4 years, but it'll mean selling the Santa Cruz to put the bucks back into the kitty. Or, sell the Disco for parts/restoration and do without a vehical for a min' of 12 months (really impractical)

I did a base coat of flat black topped with Alclad Stainless Steel, then a misted coat of Alclad Chrome over the SS. Long winded as I'm sure there's an Alclad Aluminium paint...