C-130 Fat Albert

Jesse1

I've decided to enter the C-130 Fat Albert in the naval group build and haven’t touch military stuff for 15 years, so rather than spending huge amount of time going through military decals suppliers, does anyone know if there are after market decals done for it?

The kit is 1/144 Minicraft and any info on the kit itself would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jesse

Edited by Jesse1

I don't think there are any 1/72 aftermarket Fat Albert decals. Italeri boxed their kit with really horrid BA decals many years ago (typical Italeri decals of the time, with pale, icky yellow).

The Minicraft kit is quite nice. Not perfect, and in need of Braz Models corrected engine intakes. I haven't actually seen the Fat Albert decals for it, but the images I've seen look okay.

J

Microscale do a 1/48 sheet and I believe did a 1/72 sheet.

I had a set made up in 1/144 from the Hasegawa 1/200 sheet many years ago. Don't have them anymore.

If you can get a scan of the Hasegawa 1/200 sheet perhaps you could get it printed in the size you need.

Ray :cheers:

Microscale do a 1/48 sheet and I believe did a 1/72 sheet.

I had a set made up in 1/144 from the Hasegawa 1/200 sheet many years ago. Don't have them anymore.

If you can get a scan of the Hasegawa 1/200 sheet perhaps you could get it printed in the size you need.

Ray :cheers:

Hi Ray,

That's a good idea, I didn't know there was one from Hasegawa, 15 years out of it will do that to ya. If any of you guys/gals have one, let me know. Would appreciate it.

Jesse

Hi Ray,

That's a good idea, I didn't know there was one from Hasegawa, 15 years out of it will do that to ya. If any of you guys/gals have one, let me know. Would appreciate it.

Jesse

Hi Jesse

I just recently brought the Fat Albert Kit, the kit itself looks really good, except the engine nacelles. the decal is printed by Cartograf of Italy.

i will post photos of it shortly.

:cheers:

Brendon

Superscale have released both versions of the Blues Fat Albert in 1/72.

>> SS72-896 << These are the markings for the current version and available from the Microscale web ( I have ordered from them in the past with no probs).

Here is the early version they released - SS72-772 and my build using the Italeri Kit

IT_C130_BA_022.jpg

Italeri kit decals [kit number 140] [White over blue with yellow cheat line scheme]

Superscale/Microscale [sheet number 72-896 & 72-772] also did the fat albert sheet [White over blue with yellow cheat line scheme]

Golden Wings [sheet GW-2] [White over blue with yellow cheat line scheme & over all white scheme]

I havent got a scanner anymore so I cant scan the sheets.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

Hi Jesse

I just recently brought the Fat Albert Kit, the kit itself looks really good, except the engine nacelles. the decal is printed by Cartograf of Italy.

i will post photos of it shortly.

Brendon

Hi Brendon,

Thanks, can hardly wait till it gets here, that is going to be fun. maybe the kit decals will be just fine.

Jesse

Superscale have released both versions of the Blues Fat Albert in 1/72.

>> SS72-896 << These are the markings for the current version and available from the Microscale web ( I have ordered from them in the past with no probs).

Here is the early version they released - SS72-772 and my build using the Italeri Kit

Man, that's a mean looking model, very, very nice. They only color I found is an acrylic by Model Master 4687, color looks OK, maybe a tad to dark.

Thanks for the info & picture.

Jesse

Italeri kit decals [kit number 140] [White over blue with yellow cheat line scheme]

Superscale/Microscale [sheet number 72-896 & 72-772] also did the fat albert sheet [White over blue with yellow cheat line scheme]

Golden Wings [sheet GW-2] [White over blue with yellow cheat line scheme & over all white scheme]

I havent got a scanner anymore so I cant scan the sheets.

Thanks for the info, if it comes to real bad, I'll buy one from Microscale and have someone scale it 1/144.

Jesse

Hi Jesse,

I'm building the Minicraft Herc as well! The Blue Angel decals form the kit are pretty good. I'm doing it up in Royal Jordanian colors(Isra decals). Basically desert 3 tone camo.

These are a few things that I came across in my build. The top of the wings have large sink marks along the trailing edge. I sanded the daylights out them and then re-scribed the panel lines. Also the leading edge of the wing root on the fuselage section has some minor sink marks. I've used the Braz engine intakes which are much better shape than the kit parts. If you are building the kit with the rear doors closed it will take a little work to glue the doors in place. To join the wings so the joint and panel lines line up will take a bit of triming and sanding. The clear part fits very well. I searched around but could not find any mask sets for this kit so we'll have to free hand the masking.

Over all it's a great little kit than can be put together in a few nights.

Only thing is I wish they gave you a cockpit or at least some seats. I'll have to rummage around and see if I can come up with a basic interior.

cheers

Andy :pilot:

I've decided to enter the C-130 Fat Albert in the naval group build and haven’t touch military stuff for 15 years, so rather than spending huge amount of time going through military decals suppliers, does anyone know if there are after market decals done for it?

The kit is 1/144 Minicraft and any info on the kit itself would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jesse

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Jessie

<Image removed due to copyright infringement concerns>

Here is the decal sheet from the Minicraft kit. none of the colours have been altered from the scanner. Myself im going to be doing a RAAF herk.

Brendon

Reviews are considered fair use worldwide. There is no issue with scanning a decal, instruction sheet, kit part, etc for review purposes.

J

Reviews are considered fair use worldwide. There is no issue with scanning a decal, instruction sheet, kit part, etc for review purposes.

J

Hi J,

It wasn't me who removed it, it was the administrators. I got a email last night about it.

I just thought that, since one of our members wanted to know what it look like, i would scan it to show them. It wasn't my intention, that could bring the site to a copyright infringement notice from the company concerned.

so im not here to upset the apple cart, now i will be careful what i post from now on.

Brendon

Edited by Aussie_superbug