A pair of Shorts part 1: the Shetland.

Hi all and here's my first entry.

Notwithstanding what it says on the box, this is actually a resin kit.

I'll hopefully be starting within a couple of months ;).

P1140028.JPG

Cheers

• Like 9

• CliffB changed the title to A pair of Shorts part 1: the Shetland.

Welcome, Cliff :) A great choice, have you decided on a scheme for her?

James

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Welcome, Cliff :) A great choice, have you decided on a scheme for her?

James

Thanks James,

The scheme's easy, as this second prototype was only ever silver o/a.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember my cousin had the Dinky Toys version which was actually metal - not the prettiest of planes and their silly little red props did not help.😄 Unlike me he did not play with them to point of causing damage and also kept the boxes so I guess it could be worth a few bob by now - as would the WWI lorries he had. He also had a small twin engined plane which was described as "the King's aeroplane" - an Airspeed Envoy, forerunner to the Oxford I suspect, and perhaps the first plane used by thenewly formed Royal aka King's Flight.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

I remember my cousin had the Dinky Toys version which was actually metal

Thanks for your comments Pete.

The Shetland is one of a few Dinky Toys that come out at 1/200 scale.  I was about to buy one on eBay when this resin version popped up - a much better proposition!

Interestingly, my kit's decal sheet includes some replacement decals for the Dinky version (top RH corner in the photo).  They're an exact match for the Dinky ones, even down to being over-sized (as the instructions point out).  I've absolutely no idea why they're included on this sheet! :winkgrin:.

P1140062.JPG

Another unusual, but nice, feature of the decal sheet is that it provides the option of black or light blue windows.  There are fans of both, but I prefer black.

I've got a few '1/200' Dinky Toys waiting for a make-over.  They can turn out quite nicely.

I recently finished this early Sea Vixen (much more attractive than the later ones!).

P1140063.JPG

And I'm part way through this Ensign (actually slightly smaller than 1/200, but I can forgive that).

P1140064.JPG

I have a tatty Envoy too, but at 1/175 it's visually too large.  I'll wait and see if anything better turns up, before diving in.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

First off, I must apologise for not having given this GB much attention so far - there's just been too many things competing for my attention :(

But I'm here now and ready to start the Shetland :)

The Shetland was produced in response to Air Ministry Specification R14/40, which related to the construction of a high speed, very long range, reconnaissance flying boat - with performance above and beyond that of the Sunderland.  Initially, both Shorts and Saunders-Roe submitted proposals but these were rejected and the companies instructed to work together on a joint venture.

The first prototype (Shetland 1), first took to the air in December 1944 and flew without its intended gun turrets, as the Air Ministry's requirement had changed by then to that of an unarmed transport aircraft.  In October 1945, the Shetland 1 was transferred to the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment (MAEE), at Felixstowe for trials.  Before these could be completed however, the aircraft was destroyed at its moorings, due to a fire in its galley.

By now, the end of the war had removed the need for a military Shetland and so the second (and last), prototype was fitted out as a civil transport.  This was called the Shetland 2 and is the subject of my model.  Unfortunately, no orders were forthcoming and the aircraft was scrapped in 1951.

As I mentioned previously, this is predominantly a resin kit.  Even in 1/200 scale, it's reasonably large with a wingspan of 230mm.

P1140102.JPG

There are also a selection of white metal parts for the smaller bits, which include beaching gear.  However, I'll be having mine afloat and so will be sawing off the bottoms of the hull and wing floats (all three of them :winkgrin:).

P1140103.JPG

Cheers

• Like 3