Icelandic Defender – North American F-51D-30-NA Mustang ’44-74482’ of the 192nd Fighter Bomber Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard – Tamiya 1/72

Never have seen this color scheme on a Mustang before.  I enjoyed the historical background you gave on this subject.  Well done on the finish as it is quite unique.  Thanks for sharing.

Always nice to see a Mustang in an unusual scheme, this one looks really good. Nice touch with the filled panel lines on the wings too.

Mark.

• Like 1

She's a beauty Martin, in every regard. The finish is superb with some very special attention paid to panel/rivet detail.

One of your best yet, despite all the others being up there with the best!

Terry

On 6/11/2024 at 12:57 PM, kelly9mm said:

Interesting painting scheme, well done!

On 6/11/2024 at 1:06 PM, fox1_BE said:

Looking great Martin, very interesting color scheme 👍

On 6/11/2024 at 1:13 PM, Chrisj2003 said:

Martin, interesting build and a very nice end result. :goodjob:

Chris

On 6/11/2024 at 1:54 PM, cpoud117 said:

Fantastic work!

Have you strachbuilt the flaps? If yes, they look very impressive!

On 6/11/2024 at 5:32 PM, georgeusa said:

Never have seen this color scheme on a Mustang before.  I enjoyed the historical background you gave on this subject.  Well done on the finish as it is quite unique.  Thanks for sharing.

On 6/11/2024 at 6:26 PM, Toryu said:

Very good Martin! I first thought it's the 1/48 kit.

On 6/11/2024 at 8:16 PM, SAT69 said:

Distinctive markings and a very nice build!

On 6/11/2024 at 8:27 PM, Harry Lime said:

Always nice to see a Mustang in an unusual scheme, this one looks really good. Nice touch with the filled panel lines on the wings too.

Mark.

On 6/11/2024 at 9:53 PM, HPoirot said:

Very well done, and in a most attractive colour scheme! 👍

On 6/11/2024 at 10:34 PM, Terry1954 said:

She's a beauty Martin, in every regard. The finish is superb with some very special attention paid to panel/rivet detail.

One of your best yet, despite all the others being up there with the best!

Terry

Many thanks - all of you. I am so pleased that you like here.

Regarding the flaps, @cpoud117, they are Armycast parts. They have a couple of mould faults but are otherwise great. I do think, though, that I need to re-seat them as the gap between them and the wing surface is too much. It should be easy to fix.

Yes, @Harry Lime, all filled :).

Scale, @Toryu?, She certainly came from a 1/72 box :).

Terry @Terry1954, I again followed my new found method of only adding washes to panels that open, meaning that most of the panel lines have none. I did add wash in each rivet hole with a fine brush, trying to emulate ‘959 above. A silver pencil works wonders too!

Martin :)

• Like 2

Sorry, I meant to say, in reference to your comments about the unusual colours, that Caracal have a good decal set of colourful ANG Mustangs :)

That is very nicely done and a little different from the majority of Mustang builds I have seen. The background story is fascinating and informative too.

Duncan B

On 6/13/2024 at 10:10 AM, gingerbob said:

Superb build, and nice presentation of information, too!

Thanks a lot, Bob

On 6/13/2024 at 12:57 PM, Duncan B said:

That is very nicely done and a little different from the majority of Mustang builds I have seen. The background story is fascinating and informative too.

Duncan B

Thanks a lot, Duncan. I’m pleased you both liked the history. I love to get some background in to the RFI to give context.

On 6/13/2024 at 9:56 PM, ruudster said:

she looks great Martin!

Thanks a lot, mate

On 6/13/2024 at 11:24 PM, Pete in a shed said:

Has to be one of the most attractive Mustang schemes going. Lovely work Martin.

Pete

Thanks a lot, Pete. It is a bit different, isn’t it :). I am attracted by dayglo and “Arctic Red” schemes. I have such a F-84F in build with a natural metal/dayglo one also in the plan. :)

Martin

Edit: I am particularly pleased with the Falcon canopy which sits correctly. @Wez @ModelingEdmontonian @72modeler and @Giorgio N will appreciate that, I think. 

• Like 3

Martin,

This is your best Mustang yet, and you have given us some beauts! What a great scheme, and done to perfection. Yes, I noticed you nailed the correct 'sit' of the open canopy. Panel line washes and penciled detailing look very realistic, especially in this scale. Loved the  late radio fit, too. Tony O'Toole would be proud- not only for the model, but also for the history and backstory that accompanied it. Well done!  :worthy:

Mike

BTW- how is your Invader coming along?

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

Great back story, I was not aware of the deployment to Iceland in the early 50s. I like the colour scheme too - it's not one you see very often. Anyway, great job on the model.    👍

Cheers,

Bill

On 6/17/2024 at 2:45 AM, 72modeler said:

Martin,

This is your best Mustang yet, and you have given us some beauts! What a great scheme, and done to perfection. Yes, I noticed you nailed the correct 'sit' of the open canopy. Panel line washes and penciled detailing look very realistic, especially in this scale. Loved the  late radio fit, too. Tony O'Toole would be proud- not only for the model, but also for the history and backstory that accompanied it. Well done!  :worthy:

Mike

BTW- how is your Invader coming along?

Thanks a lot, Mike. You know my liking for “Arctic Red” and dayglo ;). That canopy works extremely well. I only hope Eduard have taken it in to account with their new kit…. And Arma Hobby!

On 6/17/2024 at 5:03 AM, stevej60 said:

Stunning build Martin and what a great scheme too.

Thanks a lot, Steve. :)

On 6/17/2024 at 11:57 AM, russ c said:

Superb work there Martin, thought it was 48th at first glance!

Thanks a lot, Russ. I’m pleased to have tricked your eye ;)

On 6/17/2024 at 12:38 PM, Navy Bird said:

Great back story, I was not aware of the deployment to Iceland in the early 50s. I like the colour scheme too - it's not one you see very often. Anyway, great job on the model.    👍

Cheers,

Bill

Nor me. It was new to my eye and fell perfectly in to my normal criteria for a modelling subject ;). Thanks a lot. 

23 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hi Martin that's a very handsome looking Mustang. You've made excellent neat work on it & impressive research on the historical background. 

Thanks a lot, Martin. :)

Martin