Posted (edited)

Hi! 
Presentig my last finnished work.
Revell model, this is an old kit from 1995, and not everything I say about this kit is relevant for modern kits.
I didn't like this model. Looks like some kind of copy of Hasegawa. The German model exactly copies the main mistakes of the Japanese one.
In some places there are improvements compared to Hasegawa. But in some places there is also deterioration.
It has serious problems with the length.
So, if you want a 1/72 scale F-104, you should choose between Revell and Hasegawa.
What a pity that there is still no high-quality and modern F-104 model on the market.
The biggest problem with this model is the decals. All decals are printed at an enlarged scale, 1/67...1/50...
This happened quite often in older Revell models.
I modified the pilot's seat. Slightly improved the detailing of the cockpit. Corrected the shape of some trim panels.
I engraved panels and hatches where they were missing.
Added imitation riveting, local.
I was so disappointed with this kit that I decided not to spend the money and did not buy the resin exhaust and wheels.
The decal and painting instructions are completely inaccurate. Essentially, you cannot use any of the three options.
If you recombine the numbers, you will be able to build a something from JG71 or JaboG 36.
But. Due to the crosses and side numbers being too large, I used additional decals from Model Maker (made in Poland).
Revell numbers and crosses cannot be placed correctly on the revell model.
Model Maker great decals! But you need experience, the decals are thin, the transparent backing tends to little curl up. The white color is dense.
At the same time, the decals are thin and bend around all the irregularities without any problems.
I was able to compile bort number 25+62.
I could make other variants from Jabog 36: 24+05, 26+10, 26+20.... But most of the F-104s from Jabog 36 were built by SABCA and had a different engine nozzle.
I didn't want to buy a resin exhaust and put it into an already assembled and painted model. Luckily I found information about 25+62.
This is one of fifteen aircraft produced by Lockheed, and with SABCA only doing the assembly. This circumstance allowed me not to change the exhaust.
The photo of the real aircraft was taken during the Open Day on September 29, 1973 at Hopsten Air Base.
25+62 made its first flight on September 8, 1962. Last flight on July 10, 1984.
G-25-62-f10425-62-rev.jpg
The plane crashed due to engine failure, but the pilot was uninjured and successfully ejected.
I hope you like my work:

DSCF2121.jpg DSCF2122.jpg

DSCF2123.jpg DSCF2124.jpg

DSCF2125.jpg DSCF2126.jpg

DSCF2127.jpg DSCF2128.jpg

DSCF2129.jpg DSCF2130.jpg

DSCF2131.jpg DSCF2132.jpg

DSCF2133-s.jpg DSCF2153-s.jpg

DSCF2161.jpg DSCF2162.jpg

DSCF2163.jpg DSCF2164.jpg

DSCF2165.jpg DSCF2167.jpg

DSCF2168.jpg DSCF2169.jpg

DSCF2170.jpg DSCF2171.jpg

DSCF2172.jpg DSCF2173.jpg

Edited by AleTar
  • Like 38

1 hour ago, Vlad 17 said:

Despite all the listed assembly difficulties, the model looks great. You did it. 

Thank you!
Yes, the work was difficult for such a small aircraft model.

Some photos of the work process. Mostly they were taken with a smartphone, they are not very good.

DSCF-IMG-20220530-175129.jpg DSCF-IMG-20220530-175318.jpg

You can estimate how much larger the decal elements size are than needed
DSCF-IMG-20230930-095041.jpgDSCF-IMG-20240407-095118.jpg
DSCF2040.jpg DSCF-IMG-20240427-140742.jpg
some parts of the decal had to be literally chopped up and transferred one small piece at a time
 DSCF2059.jpg

In general, Revell tried to make sure that I wasn’t bored)))

Alex.

• Like 7

Great job! Lots of efforts but reckon they are completely paid off. Congratulations!

How did you make those red&white stripes on Pitot tube - looks very accurate?

Posted (edited)
On 10/06/2024 at 21:59, SarmaT said:

Great job! Lots of efforts but reckon they are completely paid off. Congratulations!

Thank you!

On 10/06/2024 at 21:59, SarmaT said:

How did you make those red&white stripes on Pitot tube - looks very accurate?

It's very easy. Tamiya masking tape. First, you need to paint the pitot tube white. You need to cut two thin strips and wind them onto the pitot tube. Then remove one strip. It is very important not to stretch the strips. First, you can tear its. Second, the width of the strips changes depending on the tension.

Alex

Edited by AleTar
  • Thanks 2

Nice work!

This may have been a painful build but in the end, you've really got a great model.

This looks good, a pity your photos don't show a bit bigger, they're fine when I click on them & see them in Postimage. That size would be good in the thread. All the better to see them. :)

Steve.

Thank for feedbacks!
I have always said that the most important thing is that your work pleases yourself. And this F-104 stands on the  shelf and brings me aesthetic pleasure. But I am also glad that someone else likes my work.

On 14/06/2024 at 10:44, IPMS19 said:

- Nicely  done, working such small model is far to be an easy task...

I fall into this trap every time. Every time I take a small model and say to myself: "if the model is small, then there will be less work" ...:devil:

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

This looks good, a pity your photos don't show a bit bigger, they're fine when I click on them & see them in Postimage. That size would be good in the thread. All the better to see them. :)

Steve.

Oh, sorry. I did not think that Postimage does not allow you to enlarge the photo. I could not figure out how to insert links from Flickr for each individual photo.
But here is a link to the entire album:
https://flickr.com/photos/195592043@N04/albums/72177720317749894/

Alex

Easy as Alexander. In Flickr, which is what I use, in the bottom right of the screen when you click on a photo to open it, is a upward & right pointing arrow, this is the share arrow, click on that & it will open a dialogue panel with a link on it, highlite & copy that & paste it into your post as I have just done.

DSCF2121

perfect. Looks good too. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1