Kinetic 1/48 F-16C in S.E.A. camo from the Texas Air National Guard

Hi, happy Friday!!  When i decided to finish a 1/48 F-16 I wanted something a little different. I saw this beauty in S.E.A. camouflage while surfing the internet last year and immediately knew that was the one!  What a BEAUTY!  The Texas Air National Guard has several commemorative F-16C 's in special livery and I represented this one pretty much as the pics show, super clean with minimal weathering. This made for a super fun build and due to Kinetics superb fit ( at least on this kit) made for little fuss during the build.  This is a Block 30 with the large intake, GE engine and strengthened landing gear. 

A little about the kit. Having the vaunted Tamiya also in progress I have some comparison insights on both. Detail, fit about the same with a slight edge to Kinetic in the landing gear dpt. Cockpit 100% goes to Tamiya as Kinetics is decal over plastic tabs with a poor ejection seat.  Kinetics instructions are AWFUL & chocked full of Confusing diagrams and no firm direction on what parts to use for what Block you want. A big weapons decal sheet was incl with no instructions on stenciling. I had to refer to Tamiya's sheet for references and internet pics. Now as far as versions go, the Kinetic is the winner. They give you pretty much every part needed to build a F-16A through pretty much anything current.  The tail base is  the big difference here.  Kinetic gives you the slender base of the F-16A, the extended parachute housing seen on exports ( think Israeli Barak) and even a limited base that had this bulge on the sides that is rarely seen. You also get, as do both kits dual intakes, dual gear doors, dual landing gear sets to represent the beefed-up block numbers with the GE engine. This kit is 100% straight out the box. 

Paint used was Vallejo Model Air on all exterior surfaces with Mission Model gloss and flat final coats. Im not happy with the Vallejo Greens, neither seemed to "pop" and neither really differentiated each other with little contrast but it didn't border on ruining the kit....i hope. 

Thank and comments are welcome! 

TsUoao9.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

That looks great! I see what you mean about the Vallejo greens but they seem pretty true to the photos of the original (at least on my screen) and in no way spoil your excellent work - well done

Lovely work, it looks fantastic! Living up the road from San Antonio, I've thought about doing an F-16 in this camo scheme. You might have just convinced me to do it. 

Absolutely stunning! The SEA camo really suits the Viper and you've done an amazing job here! I too have problems with the Vallejo colours as they don't really seem to accurately represent the actual SEA colours, but ironically they do seem to match the retro colours that the USAF have used on this aircraft. I think someone at the paintshop may have used the incorrect FS mix 😳

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind words! Super appreciate it. Bonbrook has an interesting theory, the Vallejo colors seem to match what is seen on this F16 but for older vietnam era planes is lacking. I'll have the Tamiya Viper finished in the next month and I'll put together a little side by side.  I'm excited about the Tamiya, it will be a USAF Wild weasel from Misawa AFB in special livery. 

This looks the goods to me Charles. I've a 1/72 Tamiya kit & decals put aside for this, I'll be rapt if I can pull it off close to as well as you have. 👍

Steve.