Magna Models 1/72 Polikarpov ITP (M-1)

Resin.

Why does that word fill me - and I suspect others - with unease?

Probably for the same reason the Vacform in  "Multimedia kit: vacform, resin and white metal" does.

Is it because I think resin is outside my box?  Except .... I sometimes use resin aftermarket items, and don't appear to have had many problems with them.

Nor, apart from from some wobbly cutting, did I approach the vacform sails in boat kits like HMS Victory or Cutty Sark (the airfix ones) that I built as an early teenager with any trepidation..

Perhaps it's a natural thing when mainly dealing with injection moulded plastic to view the guys who do things in resin and/or vacform as somehow more advanced modellers than you, just  a weedy, injection moulded man..

But  yes, I have just made a resin kit. My first one.

To whit, the Magna Models Polikarpov ITP (M-1).  Nope, I'd never heard of it before I bought the kit at the Gloucester IPMS show way back in 2019.

Apparently it was a design for a heavily armed fighter, but it never got over a problem with the engine which wasn't able to give it the speed required.  

But for £6, surely the kit couldn't go wrong?  Hmmmm    ....    Deafening silence.

Before I go on to the finished model, here's a couple of photos of the box, and the resin, vacform  canopy and white metal parts - the resin parts have been separated from the casting blocks.

SAM_4060

SAM_4061

SAM_4062

Now I'm not going to lie, making this kit was a touch problematical. That's because I failed to read the instructions properly.  yeas, I know, but in all honesty, how many Britmodellers have done the same?

What I would have seen in the instructions was a command not to cut the locating lugs off the wings as well as the casting blocks. Yes, you guessed, I cut the wing locating lugs off.

So I got around that problem by using a brass rod pin going through the fuselage to pin the wings to the fuselage. Surprisingly, for me, that worked!

SAM_4067

Was there a next problem?

Cutting the vacform canopy to size, perhaps? was there a reason why 2 vacform canopies were provided?

Nope, the first canopy cut and sanded out of the excess quite easily.

Anything else? Well, painting wasn't too bad; I gussied up the cockpit, painted some seat belts (not easily seen) and some attempt at an i/p, and used used Mr Masking compound around the wing root air intakes and wheel wells to give a pretty clean paint job there.

There was minimal paint bleed under the masking tape on wings and fuselage, easily cleaned up. The canopy masking went fine.

SAM_4078 SAM_4081 SAM_4082 SAM_4083 SAM_4086

My word, this is sounding easy, isn't it? Actually, given there are only 21 parts altogether - 9 resin, 1 vacform and 11 metal, I think I can be excused thinking that I shouldn't have found it difficult.

The minimal decals came from an old, long abandoned Mig 15 kit - Magna didn't supply any decals. Paints by Tamiya and Mr Color, varnishes by Windsor & Newton Galleria.

Would I do another resin kit? I don't know. I know that there are some resin kits around (I do read reviews) which are more akin to injection moulded kits, but what I'm thinking of are the type of resin/vacform/white metal kits err .... like the whirlybirds Sikorsky S 51 dragonfly that's in my stash.

Hmm .. maybe I'll give it a go, after I've retreated into my injection moulding comfort zone for a while!

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

I had made mine yearsss ago.

Alain

Alain,

Did you mean the polikarpov or the dragonfly?

• Like 1

The Whirlykits S51 Dragonfly is quote a nice kit. The instructions are clear, and the vacform clear fuselage seemed to be a plastic that was plastic glue friendly. Mine is here 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235075958-westland-dragonfly-hr3-whirlybirds-kits-172nd-scale/

15 hours ago, Whofan said:

Alain,

Did you mean the polikarpov or the dragonfly?

The Polikarpov. If you whant, I can post my model.

Alain

• Like 1

Nicely done on the resin kit.  I, like you, am somewhat leary of full resin kits, even though I have a couple in my stash.  I use it in normal builds, but the idea of a full build is intimidating.  Congratulations on finishing this kit and doing so well on it.  Look forward to the helicopter.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

The Polikarpov. If you whant, I can post my model.

Alain

Oh yes please, I’d like to see how it should have been done!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

Nicely done on the resin kit.  I, like you, am somewhat leary of full resin kits, even though I have a couple in my stash.  I use it in normal builds, but the idea of a full build is intimidating.  Congratulations on finishing this kit and doing so well on it.  Look forward to the helicopter.

thanks for the kind words, George.

I confess when I took it out of the box I did think for a moment “this’ll be ok” because of the low parts count, but I still had a few moments or two.

The helicopter? I might put it off for a while!

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

Oh yes please, I’d like to see how it should have been done!

It's post mate. But I have certainely made a mistake, it is possible that it is the Omega resin kit and not the Magna.

Alain

• Thanks 1