Planning a Trip to Japan in 2025 - Tokoyo & Shizuoka Model Show.

Billy54

To celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary we  my wife and I (our son and his girlfriend may also join us) are planning a trip to Japan. While we have no definite dates planned it will possibly take place in the late winter early spring time frame next year.

Needless to say I am reaching out to the Britmodeller community seeking their advice and feedback. 

It seems we may be based in Tokoyo for the duration of our visit 10/14 days and plan to make day (or overnight trips) to different areas.

I would like to attend the Shizuoka Model Show however I have not been able to find any information concerning the 2025 event. It is my understanding that visiting Shizuoka City, for a day, via (bullet?) train from Tokoyo is a possible? Speaking of bullet trains I would like to experience this form of transportation as much as possible and ride on some of the faster trains.

If possible I would like to visit and tour some of the Japanese model manufacturers Headquarters - Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Fine Molds etc. I get the impression visiting Tamiya is possible and it is located in Shizuoka City? 

At our age we won't be doing something too taxing each day  and I can't imagine us changing hotels during our visit. 

Any and all input would be appreciated. And yeah, last time I planned an overseas trip (to Scale Model World) covid hit the planet!

You'll have to make a personal moral decision about whether you wish to visit the Yasukuni Shrine and Yushukan War Museum in central Tokyo where a very 'different' view of WW2 is promoted. ie Japan conquering most of Asia to save it from the Imperial West. No mention of war crimes and atrocities. Also the Shrine honours several hundred charged and convicted (and many executed) war criminals from the WW2 period.

I worked for a Japanese company (Hitachi) and found it very hard to accept how little knowledge educated Japanese colleagues had, or indeed wanted, of what had happened in China and in POW camps.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Billy54,

The Shizuoka show is on 17/18 May 2025 for the general public. You can easily travel to Shizuoka by bullet train on the day from Tokyo. Take a look at Robert's thread in the BM travel section.

Hasegawa and Finemolds are well out of town and don't do tours,  but Tamiya opens it's doors on the weekend usually. However, it is just an office block rather than production site. The museum and car collection in the lobby is very interesting, but bear in mind it will be crowded.

The show itself is excellent but again crowded. Be prepared for a long day as there is a lot to see. It is great fun though and the standard of models is incredible.

If you stay overnight in Shizuoka book early.

Andy

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2024 at 7:41 AM, Red Dot said:

Hi Billy54,

The Shizuoka show is on 17/18 May 2025 for the general public. You can easily travel to Shizuoka by bullet train on the day from Tokyo. Take a look at Robert's thread in the BM travel section.

Hasegawa and Finemolds are well out of town and don't do tours,  but Tamiya opens it's doors on the weekend usually. However, it is just an office block rather than production site. The museum and car collection in the lobby is very interesting, but bear in mind it will be crowded.

The show itself is excellent but again crowded. Be prepared for a long day as there is a lot to see. It is great fun though and the standard of models is incredible.

If you stay overnight in Shizuoka book early.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Thank you for that information, I really appreciate it especially the dates for the show. I fully expected the show to be crowded and for it to be a long and tiring day and have been thinking of going both days.

I have heard that even if it isn't the week of the show you can book a tour of the Tamiya HQ? 

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

Both days at the show would be more relaxed for you for sure.

I have booked tours for small groups during my 4Aviation holidays but I am not sure if they do individuals. I guess you could just contact tamiya and ask. No harm in that

Andy 

• Like 1