Jump to content

British Airways Boeing 747-400, Revell 1:144 - Landor (Bra.Z & 26 decals)


Recommended Posts

Well I haven't posted a new build for well over a year - it's amazing how life can get in the way of a hobby.

 

As you may know, I have a strong liking for the British Airways Landor livery.

 

Here is my latest build – another Revell 747-400 kit, but this time, I used the 26 decal set to represent G-BNLY (the Revell decals represent G-BNLI), and I also bought the Bra.Z resin Rolls-Royce engine set, which is the first time I have used aftermarket engines.

 

Here is G-BNLY:

 

IMG_2371

 

IMG_2372

 

IMG_2373

 

IMG_2374

 

IMG_2375

 

IMG_2376

 

And with G-BNLI:

 

IMG_2377

 

You can see how much more vivid the colours are with the 26 decal set (although the Revell decals were printed decades ago).

 

I have just bought an old Airfix 747 in Landor, which will be a future project.

  • Like 44
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nicely done - I have the exact same kit with the exact same aftermarket... seeing this is tempting me!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lovely work, Neil, well done!

How do you do your windows, BTW? Are they decals or are they holes and if the latter do you make the window "glass" and if so how?

TIA

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, t15dja said:

Lovely work, Neil, well done!

How do you do your windows, BTW? Are they decals or are they holes and if the latter do you make the window "glass" and if so how?

TIA

 

Hi, thank you!

 

I use Clearfix for the windows – I think you can get similar results with PVA glue.

 

Clearfix seems to be hard to find and is quite goopy, so it's a bit awkward to apply but I like the results:

 

IMG_2383

 

I've seen some great results using a resin, but it requires individual windows to be masked before painting.

 

I paint the model then apply the Clearfix to the windows before applying the varnish.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Nicely done - I have the exact same kit with the exact same aftermarket... seeing this is tempting me!

 

Do you have both the aftermarket engines and decals? Looking forward to seeing your build!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, neilg said:

 

Do you have both the aftermarket engines and decals? Looking forward to seeing your build!

Yes indeed - I built one with the kit engines recently in the Union Flag scheme but now have a Braz set of Rollers as they look more refined. 
 

I have also got the 26 Decals Landor set as well some Authentic Airliners windows. I need to finish a few other projects first but seeing yours has certainly bumped it up the pile a bit. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2024 at 8:20 PM, neilg said:

 

Hi, thank you!

 

I use Clearfix for the windows – I think you can get similar results with PVA glue.

 

Clearfix seems to be hard to find and is quite goopy, so it's a bit awkward to apply but I like the results:

 

IMG_2383

 

I've seen some great results using a resin, but it requires individual windows to be masked before painting.

 

I paint the model then apply the Clearfix to the windows before applying the varnish.

Thanks, Neil....very helpful. I shall give that a try. Up to now I've always filled the windows (on the inside then sanded the outside) and applied decals, but being able to see "through" the aircraft gives it an extra level of realism. Do you paint the inside of the fuselage (e.g  in matt black or grey) or just leave unpainted before you close it up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/05/2024 at 13:58, t15dja said:

Thanks, Neil....very helpful. I shall give that a try. Up to now I've always filled the windows (on the inside then sanded the outside) and applied decals, but being able to see "through" the aircraft gives it an extra level of realism. Do you paint the inside of the fuselage (e.g  in matt black or grey) or just leave unpainted before you close it up?

 

I leave the inside unpainted usually.

 

I spray the outside with Halfords grey primer, which makes the whole fuselage opaque, so it's not necessary to paint the inside too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Neil,

Very impressive! You must really like the Landor livery to build two!!

Which colour did you use for the fuselage grey? It looks spot on. Not a fan of Landor myself but I am planning finishing one of my Zvezda 757s in this livery.

Cheers,

Ian

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Which colour did you use for the fuselage grey? It looks spot on. Not a fan of Landor myself but I am planning finishing one of my Zvezda 757s in this livery

Try this....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Neil,

Very impressive! You must really like the Landor livery to build two!!

Which colour did you use for the fuselage grey? It looks spot on. Not a fan of Landor myself but I am planning finishing one of my Zvezda 757s in this livery.

Cheers,

Ian

 

 

I used Revell 371 light grey silk spray.

 

It sprays beautifully and gives a perfect even finish.

 

However, the cans are tiny and because I spray outside, it's quite wasteful if it gets caught in a breeze.

 

I could easily get through one can per model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Neil, I didn't know they were available in cans. Saves getting the airbrush out!

I know what you mean about spraying in a breeze, it's part of the reason I take so long with my builds we very rarely have a windless day up here!

Cheers,

Ian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The majestic lines of the iconic 747 are well illustrated Neil.  I like how it turned out. :goodjob:

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...