Revell 1/72 Lancaster Mk1 "Johnnie Walker"

Posted (edited)

This is my first go at a "Heavy". It took me a while to get this one finished but I'm pretty pleased with the result.  The kit is the Revell 1/72 Lancaster, ive built it pretty much out of the box and haven't attempted to rectify any of the kits defects other than ive replaced the cartoon size wheels with some after market resin parts which look way better.  I brush painted the Lanc with Revell aquacolor paints and weathered with a flory wash and used Tamiya weathering master pastels to create the exhaust stains.  It's my first go with the Tamiya weathering master and ive been pretty impressed with the results.  I didn't have any major issues with the kit, I had to remove the ridge around the top of the cockpit edge to get the canopy to fit correctly and the wings kept coming loose but I seemed to have sorted that now.  Anyway hope you all like it and sorry for the poor photography. As always any tips on how to improve are always welcome.  Next build Hasegawa B17F, I'm going to build this as the Memphis Belle.

iZkfd7hl.jpg

1kmrCHzl.jpg

VdE1Khel.jpg

p55ggmTl.jpg

kXkKMxMl.jpg

rR2rrzTl.jpg

rPT5QSil.jpg

54bOLrQl.jpg

o0Vckdtl.jpg

Edited by Aidan.H
Pictures
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Drakendk said:

Great build, and impressive brush painting on such a large kit 🙂

Thanks for the kind comments.

6 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Nice looking model Aidan, what make are the tyres?

Hi, they’re Aires 7204. They were around £8 from EBay. Much better than the kit wheels in my opinion. 

Very impressive brush painting and to good effect.  Just right weathering also.  You should be proud of this build.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Hayzer-Cozmic said:

Fabulous build. Love the setting for the photos too.

I know what I'll be doing from now on when I snap mine 😉

Thanks for the kind comments. In case you’re interested, the bee is a kits world self adhesive base stuck to an mdf board. 

Edited by Aidan.H
  • Like 1

Great modelling.

One very minor point, if you look at pictures of a Lancaster the outboard exhaust tends to go under the wing, not over the top, so the stain appears there.

But I note you have reduced the staining outboard considerably.

Did you attempt to correct the dihedral of the wings or just go with the flow of the kit ?

FFH

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Great modelling.

One very minor point, if you look at pictures of a Lancaster the outboard exhaust tends to go under the wing, not over the top, so the stain appears there.

But I note you have reduced the staining outboard considerably.

Did you attempt to correct the dihedral of the wings or just go with the flow of the kit ?

FFH

Thanks. I looked at a few reference pics and noted that although the exhaust stain on the outboard engine does go under there is still some staining on the upper surface on some examples so this is what I tried to replicate here. I didn’t try and fix the dihedral on this one, I’m not confident I could get the outboard engine to hang correctly after the adjustment. I have a revell dambisters kit in the stash so maybe I’ll do some more research and give it a go on that one. 

Edited by Aidan.H
  • Like 1

Nice work, like your brush painting and weathering. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

That’s a great looking Lancaster!

Considering the kit’s discrepancies, you’ve pulled it off very well.

:clap:

• Thanks 1