Cuban Sea Fury (FAR, Bay of Pigs, Cuba, 1961)

As the title says, my plan is to build one of the Cuban Sea Furies, from the timeframe of the Bay of Pigs invasion. The FAR (Fuerza Aerea Revolucionaria) operated several of these aircraft in this period.

The Trumpeter kit looks pretty nice in the box. Besides the kit, I have collected a Pavla resin seat and 2 sets of decals. I may also swap the kit’s propeller for a Pavla item, as the propeller blades look a bit too narrow.

My intention is to build one of the olive green / mottled light green camouflaged aircraft, which carried little markings as per the very few (only 2???) relevant black & white pictures of that period. Neither of these schemes is portrayed in the 2 decal sheets I have, so I will see what I will use. There is an interesting thread of an earlier BM build here, which discusses the markings and colours:

I will use this as a reference, but seeing there is little photographic material from that period available, this gives quite a bit of potential for interpretation of the actual camouflage scheme.

Cheers,

Patrick

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I've got the same sheet as well and did the camo Fury. If you look at pictures, there was probably 2, maybe 3 camouflaged Sea Furies in addition to the natural metal and solid green one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I had no idea Cuba flew the Sea Fury!

There is at least one still preserved in Cuba ;)

Most pics you find are pre- or post invasion.

Back then, as far as I remember, these were the only two pics I found of a field-camouflaged Fury during the invasion, so used that as reference for the build. Couldn´t make out any markings but went for a Cuban flag on the rudder.

53738605213_1fc0922b9c_b.jpgDSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

These are two pics, as it seems of the same aircraft, which is displayed in a museum or exhibition not long after the conflict. Looks also like an authentic field camo.

53737486617_71837a79e0_b.jpgDSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

53738416096_b045f1ce48_b.jpgDSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

But maybe you already know these pics 😀

Cheers, Reinhard

• Like 7

Thank you @Reini78. Yes, these are indeed the (only) known pictures that I also found and will use. As noted above: having looked at your earlier splendid build, I will go for something similar: a fairly irregular light green field camo over olive green. And I definitely will add the Cuban flag on the rudder!

Cheers,

Patrick

• Like 1

The Trumpter kit is nice, apart from the propeller, which has an odd pitch and just doesn't look right without work. I built one last year for a GB, and it turned out OK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started with the cockpit on my Sea Fury, which looks pretty good from the box. As mentioned, I just replaced the kit’s seat with a resin type. Also made a small change to the kit's headrest.

• Like 6

A colleague of mine was in Cuba last November as our company group has a business there. This past week, he happened to show me some photos of aircraft on display outside a museum and one was the all-green Sea Fury. Mark I Decals released a sheet for the all-green plane but in 1:144. So whenever I make one it will be this option with their kit. Watching with interest.

Miguel

• Like 1