High Planes 'Dusty'

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28971&authk

P-70 “Dusty”, 6th NFS, New Guinea, 1943

P-70 was a night fighter version of A-20 Havoc light bomber and it was used to test night fighter tactics before the first dedicated US night fighters (P-61 Black Widow) made an appearance. Plexiglass nose was painted over and radar installed - also extra weapons installed in the underside gondola.

The kit is by High Planes and let me tell you it was not easy. There are lot of things missing (like the wheel wells are completely empty) and not all things line up perfectly etc. but I'm still relatively happy with the result, considering the starting point. But for my next Havoc, I think I will try the MPM/Special Hobby kit instead... 😄

Painted with Vallejo acrylics and weathered with Flory Models washes.

WIP here:

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28964&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28963&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28962&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28965&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28967&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28966&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28968&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28969&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28970&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28972&authk

• Like 43

That does look pleasingly filthy. As you have found, these kits require some preparation and patience but you've proved they do give a great result to those prepared to put in the effort. I think the shape of the High Planes kit is slightly more convincing than the Special Hobby one, they seem to me to have got a better taper from the mid-section into the rear fuselage

• Like 2

I applaud your skills to turn an awful tooled kit into something very special. The weathering is perfect and here`s to continued hope that a mainstream manufacturer ( Tamiya, Eduard, Academy, etc ) offer a new, modern molded parts A-20 series in 72nd scale because what is currently available is not all that good. Great results Reini!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1

That's a really nice model. The dust is very effective and gives it a 'real' look

I have built a couple of High Planes kits and whlst they do need some(!) tidying up they do seem to get the shape right, which is not something that can be said for quite a few manufacturers

John

• Like 1

Really well weathered P-70.  I have the 1/48 AMT version of this craft that I expect will give the same amount of detail as your 1/72 kit.  I only hope I can get it up to the same level as your build.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I expect that High Planes kit wasn't easy to put together but what a great model you have presented.

Awesome!

• Like 1