B-32 Dominator - help needed!

Evening all,

I’m after some help from you knowledgable folks regarding this image of a B-32 Dominator:

53727299127_1a162b7532.jpg

I’m planning on building the Anigrand kit and wanted to a different scheme to that supplied in the kit. I’m hoping to do the one above, but the problem is I can’t find any information on the colour of the front of the cowlings. 

My gut is telling me Insignia Blue (or possibly red) but I want to be sure before committing. I’ve searched high and low on the net as well as few books, and can’t find a single colour image or any information regarding the colour - can anyone shed any light?

Any help would be very gratefully received. 

Best regards,

Tom

It's a longshot, but try doing a search "B-32, serial number ..." and see if something comes up on the net. Menawhile, I'll do something similar and see if I can find something useful.

• Like 1

Also try searching under TB-32. I noted the absence of nose guns and that suggests this particular airplane was used for crew training.

• Like 1

A colleague, who has more faith in these things than I do, ran it through four "colourising" programs. They all picked the insignia correctly. Two had the nacelles in dark grey and two went for blue. Caveat emptor!

• Like 2

A better image:

B-32-20-CF-42-108537.jpg

Harding and Long's book "Dominator: The Story of the Consolidated B-32 Bomber" states that 42-108537 was assigned to the AAF Tactical Center.  Hopefully you will get good info on the color of the engine cowling bands.

Based on the mountains in the background and vegetation in the image above, the aircraft appears to be awaiting its fate at the Kingman, Arizona RFC depot after the end of the war.

Don

• Like 4

Fort Worth,
B-32-1 42-108471/108480
B-32-5 42-108481/108484
TB-32-5 42-108485/108495
TB-32-10 42-108496/108520
TB-32-15 42-108521/108524
B-32-20 42-108525/108526
B-32-21 42-108527
B-32-20 42-108528/108545
B-32-25 42-108546/108570
B-32-30 42-108571/108577
B-32-35 42-108578/108584

San Diego (excluding prototypes), 44-90486 B-32-20

42-108537 completed 3 April 1945, accepted 4 May, delivered 6 June, looks like to Pinecastle Florida via Whit Green, stayed at Pinecastle until ferried to Kingman 27 November if I read the aircraft card correctly.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Also try searching under TB-32. I noted the absence of nose guns and that suggests this particular airplane was used for crew training.

Good point - although as @don f states above this picture was taken at Kingman in 1947 as the Dominator fleet awaited scrapping. Therefore all armament has been removed. 

7 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

A colleague, who has more faith in these things than I do, ran it through four "colourising" programs. They all picked the insignia correctly. Two had the nacelles in dark grey and two went for blue. Caveat emptor!

Interesting! I must confess my initial thoughts were a dark insignia blue - although they do look a little lighter than the stars and bars but that could be the light playing tricks. Insignia red is another possibility - but I did some comparisons to B-17s with red tails and the grey seems lighter. 

I suppose if no one can come up with anything definitive, I can paint the rings whatever colour I like!

Thanks for the help so far, gents.

Tom

• Like 1

@tomprobertTom,

If you have not already visited this site, here for more Kingman B-32, there is a brief discussion about aircraft "536" cowl band color.  "536" was a sister ship to your subject and also assigned to the AAF Tactical Center, if I am not mistaken.  The evaluation of the color tips me towards a blue.

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@don f thanks for that. I’ve also been speaking with Nathan Howland, an expert photo colourist (check out his Facebook page!) and being of a training command unit, he thinks they are likely red. All aircraft in that unit have used red - even until this present day. 

The long and short of it is that there is nothing definitive on the B-32s - no colour images or records that at this time have been unearthed. However, given the history of the until and the red being applied to all their other aircraft, I’m now leaning more towards red…

• Like 1

Postscript for you Tom less about the colours and more about the airframe.

Your airframe doesn't seem to appear in the list of Bu Nos earmarked for B-32 training:

IMG_3706

plus it doesn't have an OM nose code like these 

IMG_3708

although apparently the OM code wasn't universally displayed. Compare the noses of the TB-32s above with your chosen bird - I don't think yours is a TB-32. More likely, as has been said above, the guns have been removed. See this

IMG_3709

Finally, yours has de-icer boots on the tail - not universal on B-32s - only used on later airframes

All pics from Wolf W, (2006) 'Consolidated B-32 Dominator' Schiffer

IMG_3710

SD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just an option - consider nose art as an attraction of  scheme

53e7a026eb04d5f322a40c6627658033.jpg

https://airwingmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/B32-4.jpg

More photos here https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/the-b-32-dominator-the-heavy-bomber-in-service-for-less-than-a-year.html

One is I think yours machine (or a sister ship) but taken in filght

Regards

J0w

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JWM said:

Just an option - consider nose art as an attraction of  scheme

53e7a026eb04d5f322a40c6627658033.jpg

https://airwingmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/B32-4.jpg

More photos here https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/the-b-32-dominator-the-heavy-bomber-in-service-for-less-than-a-year.html

One is I think yours machine (or a sister ship) but taken in filght

Regards

J0w

Thanks for this - a chap in the US who is knowledgeable about the Dominator had a decal set made for the exact aircraft above and has kindly offered me a set. It’ll give me another option and it would be quite nice to build an operational, combat veteran… decisions, decisions. 

• Like 6

The red seems to me more plausible , here it is clear, that color is different then the insignia blue (still could be some more light blue) 

b-32_dominator_42-108536-644x483.jpg

Please note also props hubs are in the same color. 

In static photo both fronts of cowlings and insignia blue looks similar dark. Here cowlings are lighter. The change of gray shade between a static and air-to air photo at least partially confirms the hypothesis of red on cowlings - the air-to air is exposed to more UV what distinguishes blue and red hues. 

BTW - the Dominator is I think perhaps  the last WW2 US machine (used in war, not just a prototype) never kitted in 1/72 as injected kit. It was I think only as vac-form by X-othic/Aviation -USK and Contrail as well as a  recent resin kit by Anigrand (the last one is the one which seems available...). I have to think on think. Poor wallet! ;)

OK - the Douglas B23  Dragon is another not kitted bomber, although only a second liner. Are there any more? 

Regards

J-W 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JWM said:

The red seems to me more plausible , here it is clear, that color is different then the insignia blue (still could be some more light blue) 

b-32_dominator_42-108536-644x483.jpg

Please note also props hubs are in the same color. 

In static photo both fronts of cowlings and insignia blue looks similar dark. Here cowlings are lighter. The change of gray shade between a static and air-to air photo at least partially confirms the hypothesis of red on cowlings - the air-to air is exposed to more UV what distinguishes blue and red hues. 

BTW - the Dominator is I think perhaps  the last WW2 US machine (used in war, not just a prototype) never kitted in 1/72 as injected kit. It was I think only as vac-form by X-othic/Aviation -USK and Contrail as well as a  recent resin kit by Anigrand (the last one is the one which seems available...). I have to think on think. Poor wallet! ;)

OK - the Douglas B23  Dragon is another not kitted bomber, although only a second liner. Are there any more? 

Regards

J-W 

Maybe, but I'm betting that light patch of sky is blue and the dark areas on the ground are green! It is essentially impossible to tell colours from b&w prints. And most b&w prints are adjusted by the printer in numerous ways to get the image they want anyway.

14 hours ago, JWM said:

...the Dominator is I think perhaps  the last WW2 US machine (used in war, not just a prototype) never kitted in 1/72 as injected kit. It was I think only as vac-form by X-otic/Aviation-USK and Contrail as well as a  recent resin kit by Anigrand (the last one is the one which seems available...). OK - the Douglas B23  Dragon is another not kitted bomber, although only a second liner. Are there any more?

Beech AT-10 Wichita - some 2,400 built and never kitted in any scale 😠

Except for the 1991 Execuform 1:72 vacu.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Can't add anything useful, but rather looking forwards to seeing a WIP of this Tom!

I’ve seen Nathan Howland’s colourisation of a Dominator from the same squadron of Facebook and it’s certainly tempting me. In fact, I have the Anigrand kit in front of me as we speak and am very tempted to dive in. 

I’m suffering a bit from a loss of mojo at the moment but think this might just be the kit to get the juices flowing again - however I’ve never built a resin kit before so will certainly be out of my comfort zone…

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I’ve never built a resin kit before so will certainly be out of my comfort zone…

Tom, after following your vac builds, and watching your incredible workarounds to the problems they've presented,  I can assure you that an Anigrand resin build will be a Sunday afternoon stroll in comparison! 

SD

6 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Tom, after following your vac builds, and watching your incredible workarounds to the problems they've presented,  I can assure you that an Anigrand resin build will be a Sunday afternoon stroll in comparison! 

SD

5 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Tom, as you build Vacforms and Mach 2, you can handle resin - that was my pathway too.

Thanks for the votes of confidence, gentlemen - I may well dive right on in then!

• Like 1

Aviation Usk did a very nice 1/72 B-32 kit that had vacform and injected parts; it was better than the Anigrand kit, but is long OOP and probably goes for more than the Anigrand kit when one comes up on an auction site. I have one, and it is a very, very nice kit. If I don't build mine, I can always wait a while, and get enough for it to make a decent down payment on a new car!

Mike

Here's a build article:

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/usaaf/bombers/grosb32.htm

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Aviation Usk did a very nice 1/72 B-32 kit that had vacform and injected parts; it was better than the Anigrand kit, but is long OOP and probably goes for more than the Anigrand kit when one comes up on an auction site. I have one, and it is a very, very nice kit. If I don't build mine, I can always wait a while, and get enough for it to make a decent down payment on a new car!

Mike

Here's a build article:

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/usaaf/bombers/grosb32.htm

I’ve always been on the hunt for the AviationUsk kit but never got lucky. I have both the Anigrand and Contrail vac kit and the Anigrand is certainly an easier starting point. In fact, I’ve actually started stocking bits of resin together and am really enjoying it so far - everything fits like a glove at the moment so happy days. 

• Like 6

So this happened yesterday…

53749831560_36b8eef745_b.jpg

Such are the advantages of a very well engineered kit and fast drying super glue!

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

So this happened yesterday…

Such are the advantages of a very well engineered kit and fast drying super glue!

Whoops. It fell together. Can't remember the last time that happened to me.

Paul.