Fixing colour bleed?

I have an old Hasegawa Mazda RX-7 FD in red.

The body is in ABS plastic I think.

At the time I worked exclusively in automotive paints, and had found a very nice metallic yellow I wanted to finish it in.

I used automotive primer, (adhesion promoter, then primer) the three layer paint (yellow base, yellow metallic, clear).

But whatever I did, the red kept bleeding through.

I've stripped it, tried different  primers, no joy.

Any way to fix this?

I'm stripping it anyway,  and the alternative colour is the new ruby red Mazda has, but I really liked the yellow!

Posted (edited)

What colour primer(s) did you use? Was the adhesion promoter and primer white?    Normally you would get bleed through from a previous paint colour, red being notorious for this.

Only thing I can suggest and a bit drastic,  Adhesion promoter, Halfords Flat Black, Halfords Grey Primer followed by Halfords White Primer ensuring the white is a solid white. May take two of three light coats to achieve this, then go for it with your yellows finishes.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what else to suggest.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob G said:

A silver coat, followed by primer colour of choice?

Agreed, I've found the silver usually effective at blocking red plastic - I've also done it primer, then silver.

Zero paints also do a sealer that's supposed to do the same - I have a bottle but have never used it as I find the silver coat usually works well.

https://www.hiroboy.com/PreThinned_Sealer_60ml--product--3534.html

Keith

• Like 1

Yellow is notorious for allowing other colours to bleed through, it's usually the application of the fourth coat when the bleed through stops. Needless to say all coats need to be carefully applied

• Like 1

Another vote here for Silver paint to stop the bleed through. I'd suggest dark primer, then the silver (although I used Tamiya Light Gunmetal at this stage since I had part of a car left over), then start your normal painting process - in this case it would be light or white primer then your yellow. Not sure why silver paint stops the bleed through, but it does seem to work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spiny said:

Not sure why silver paint stops the bleed through, but it does seem to work.

Because it's optically dense, so it stops light penetrating to the surface and reflecting. Movie modelmakers use it inside models that are going to be lit, then cover it with flat black to prevent internal reflections.

• Like 4

A number of you guys recommend silver as a barrier against colour bleed through. Something I would never have thought of so I will certainly keep that one in mind for future reference. There must be something in the pigmentation of a metallic compared to other finishes that acts as a total block.

Just shows how valuable forums like this are for bouncing ideas off each other.

• Like 1