F-104 G Starfighter Kinetic 1/48

Superb build and a great collection

• Thanks 1

Very nice Starfighter. As for the display cabinet, there is a lot of vertical space in yours. I would get more shelf brackets and have new glass panes cut for it. That's what  I did for my bookshelf / display cabinet, and that's my plan when I get a dedicated display cabinet.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rob K. said:

Time to buy another display cabinet 😊

Heaps more room left in there yet!

• Thanks 1

Bellissimo! I’m trying to built a Spillone using the same kinetics kit but it seems a little hard to join fuselage, front jet intakes and frontal cone😫. Any help? Many thanks, ciao. Filippo

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Phil1960 said:

Bellissimo! I’m trying to built a Spillone using the same kinetics kit but it seems a little hard to join fuselage, front jet intakes and frontal cone😫. Any help? Many thanks, ciao. Filippo

Hi Phillipo,

Yes it is a little bit of a challenge but can be done with not much filling/sanding. I have built 2 Kinetic starfighters.
The first CF-104, I made some errors, the 2nd Norwegian F-104 was a little easier as a result. Below are the WIP threads. Perhaps of assistance:

Rgds,

Rob

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drakendk said:

Wow!!! The best NMF i have ever seen 🙂

I'll happily second that!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, James580 said:

May i ask what metal paint you used for the fuselage. Thank you in advance Jpm.

Hi James,

It is AK Xtreme Aluminium on top of a gloss black coat (mr Color GX2 Ueno black). Some panels were picked out with the various shades of AK Xtreme and mr Color Superfine silver 2. Then everything protected with MRP gloss coat for decalling and finishing with an MRP semi-gloss coat. See also the WIP thread of this built.

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drakendk said:

BWow!!! The best NMF i have ever seen 🙂

Btw, did you find that the gloss coat was affecting the metal sheen?

Thanks for your comment.

I find there are a couple of clear coats which are quite good in preserving the NMF shine (in my personal opinion 😉).
My favourite at the moment is MRP gloss, Mr Color GX followed by Aqua gloss and Tamiya clear gloss. You do have to be careful with the polished aluminium and Super Chrome Silver 2. These high shine metal coats don’t like the solvent based clear coats much and there is a chance that the metal coat gets re-activated (it’s happened to me). For the High shine coats I use the acrylic gloss coats.
The Gunze Sangyo Mr hobby website gives directions for which type of clear coats to use for their various metal coats:

https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product1/category_7/2972.html

Although I think the MRP gloss is laquer based? I do seem to get away with using it on the High shine paints as well, when sprayed in initial light coats 🤞

This is of course largely my personal experience and others may have a different take on it. Quite a few threads on this subject on the various modellers websites, with varying opinions and experiences.

My last and final clear coat on the Starfighter was MRP Semi-Gloss, in order to find a compromise between the metal and the non metal sections such as the anti glare panel, wings and the grey nose section.

Rgds,

Rob

• Thanks 1

Outstanding natural metal finish with a high level of realism. I like it.  :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Brilliant build!

Congrats!!!

JR

• Thanks 1

That's a super finish, looks stunning. Fits in nicely with the others as well, I really like the Voodoo.

• Thanks 1

That's an absolitely fantastic model of my favourite airplane, thanks for sharing your photos with us  :thumbsup:   :cheers:

• Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning build, you must be well pleased with the results, there isn't a single aspect that to my eye isn't spot on. 👏👏👏

It looks absolutely magnificent amongst the rest of your collection. 

What are you plans for your next project? 

Brilliant!!

Watto. 🍻

• Thanks 1