A VLR Mustang - 2Lt Robert Harvey's "Lady Diane"

I built this one as part of the Mustang GB.  Here's the WIP...

It's marked as a 458th/506th FG airframe belonging to 2Lt. Robert Harvey and was lost on the 1 June 1945 VLR mission to Osaka when 24 pilots were lost when they ran into bad weather.  I built this one out of the box except for the markings; the aircraft number and name (there's no photo of the aircraft so the name's style is my own) were painted,  The national markings were Tamiya decals in place of the Eduard ones.  I'm not a huge fan of Eduard's decals though I was able to make them work for the most part.  The NMF is buffing Metalizer and I was very happy with how it turned out, one of my better NMF's.  One thing I'd change on a do-over is the ammo/gun covers on the wings; they're not supposed to be unpainted though there is usually a bit of contrast between their finish and the rest of the wing's.  Overall, the kit itself is a nice one and I found it a real pleasure to work with.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, cheers.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Great work on the tail stripes for an overall outstanding finish!

• Thanks 1

Impeccable finish, a very solid build. May I ask how the stripe decals behaved? I will build another machine that also asks for those and tbh I’m somewhat afraid to fail in the application

• Thanks 1

Beautiful Mustang in the NMF that is so well done.  The blue stripes are just impeccable and I wonder how you pulled them off so well?  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Excellent work - the NMF is particularly good. Well done!

Thank you.  The Metalizer isn’t that easy to use but the result is outstanding.  After vigorous buffing I covered it with a clear acrylic and then applied the wash.  In wiping the wash away I found it left a satin finish which to my eye replicated the real thing very well.  I had intended another clear coat after the wash but instead left as is.

7 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

Impeccable finish, a very solid build. May I ask how the stripe decals behaved? I will build another machine that also asks for those and tbh I’m somewhat afraid to fail in the application

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Beautiful Mustang in the NMF that is so well done.  The blue stripes are just impeccable and I wonder how you pulled them off so well?  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you both.  The stripes are the kit decals. I applied them to one side of each surface at a time and left them to dry.  That left the top film overhanging at the edges which made it easy to get hold of with tweezers and remove.  I found the ideal wait to be about four hours, much less than conventional wisdom, because the top film still had a little flexibility which made it more peel-able.  I used a bit of tamiya tape to grab some of the more stubborn bits of top film, just enough that it lifted and then back to the tweezers to remove it.  Here’s an in-progress pic to give you a better idea…

spacer.png

The real difference maker was when I stopped putting setting solution on top.  I placed the decals with some Mr Mark Setter, got them in position and then waited a couple of minutes before pressing them down with a damp cotton bud and left them.  No solution on top.  That leaves the top film much looser and infinitely easier to remove.  Oh, and the last thing, patience!  Some of the stripes did lift so I matched the paint and did some touch ups, but really very few considering the amount of decal work.

Thanks for all of the kind words, cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2