2nd hand prices

IanHx

Haven't seen anyone having a good moan about kit prices for a while, so felt obliged to write something.

I can completely understand why brand new kit prices have shot through the roof (shipping rates, Red Sea, energy prices etc)

but why would an already-manufactured, already in the country box be subject to the same inflation  ?

If anything, shouldn't prices fall over time as the kit gets older and the box gets  tattier ?

What's sparked this moan-fest ?  Well I can't help thinking that when an 80s 1:72 Airfix thingymajig is being offered for more than

a 1:48 brand new Revell thingymajig,  that someone somewhere is slightly taking the wee .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As I think with all things 2nd hand, the price is whatever the market will pay. The key question is usually whether or not a new alternative exists for the 1980s Airfix thingamjig exits.

I'm not a kit collector so don't care about boxings and rarity hence I wouldn't pay 2nd hand anything near a recent P-51 or Spitfire; but a 2nd hand Matchbox Stranraer is another matter as I'm not aware of any alternatives or see any likelihood of anyone producing a new kit in the forseeable future.

Cheers

Colin

Yes, occasionally someone will try their luck at getting a high price for a not so rare or important kit.

Sometimes it is the rarity and there being enough demand to want them will keep prices up.  A well known example being Airfix 1:32 cars,  when I changed over to vehicle modelling I thought that I would  get a few road cars, not the sports versions, and I was shocked at the prices they were asking.  As I mentioned, the demand is obviously still there so the prices will remain high until Airfix, hopefully, re-issues them.  I think another example, although I don't build large scale aircraft, is Wing Nut Wings biplanes.

cheers,
Mike

Prices of everything used have been going up since lockdown started, some things before then. Used cars, model kits, die-cast models, vinyl records...

I was looking for a PS3 compatible gaming steering wheel recently. New ones are £250, but used ones were around £180. This for a device that will wear and tear and can be abused. I bought a new one, the saving wasn't enough to make a used one worth the gamble. So I waited for the Easter sales and bought a new one.

I don't understand it with kits. It only works if there isn't a newer, better option for that aircraft in the same scale. If there isn't, then that dog-eared box with the 40 pieces of raised panel lines and detail deficient plastic, with the yellow decals which went unserviceable 10 years ago, is the best available option.

Kits are also consumables, basically. As soon as you start building one, its value tanks, and the scarcity and price of complete kits grows. So, your 30 year old, not particularly good 1/48 SR-71 starts changing hands for three times the price on any similarly sized new 1/48 kit. It gets to the point where you will lose so much money if you start building the kit, it only makes sense as an investment. Until Revell launched a brand new 1/48 SR-71, and the value of those old kits sank faster than shares in OceanGate. The old kits are now the budget option, and priced where they should be for what they are (actually still way too high in my opinion).

I guess it works because some people pay that price when the alternative is to go without. If enough items get sold at that price, everyone charges that price.

In my opinion they sell at stupid prices because enough potential buyers don't see "I'll just go without it" as an option. They let the market grow by accepting the market value for something instead of putting their own value on it. But that's just my opinion, there will surely be more to it than that.

No point in moaning about it, as it won't make any difference :shrug: The second-hand sellers see how much the prices have gone up for new kits, and peg their prices accordingly.  It's as simple as that, and has always been that way.

• Like 3

I always look at prices on the bay, knock some off that down to a more sensible level, and usually put or near offer on the kits I have in my for sale slot on here. Of course Postage is always factored in too. American car kit prices have certainly shot up in recent years. A lot are just not available new though. If it's too expensive I simply don't buy it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiseca said:

"...sank faster than shares in OceanGate. "

Cruel but funny.  I have found a new master  to learn from....  :)

• Haha 1

There's a chap listing WNW kits for $350 each on an Aussie Facebook kit selling page. He seems to have sold a few - I wish I'd bought more when they were under $90 delivered...

Absolutely nuts. I will still build mine when I get to them.

As a (now long departed) Judge (Hardy J, if memory serves me correctly) of the old NSW Land and Valuation Court once said, in a judgment that has become the benchmark (in NSW, at least) for determining fair value: "A fair value is that price which a willing but not anxious purchaser is prepared to pay, and the price which a willing but not anxious vendor is prepared to accept". His Honour was dealing with the value of a resumed parcel of land, but the same principle applies to any buyer/seller transaction.

• Like 5

Prices on the second hand market simply depend on what the owner will ask. Some just want to get rid of the kits or don't know what they may be worth and will accept little money, others ask crazy prices hoping someone will spend that kind of money. Then there are those who try asking a high price but will lower the bar with a little haggling.

Personally the prices don't seem to have increased lately and with some searching I believe it's possible to find everything bar the rarest things at acceptable prices.

Some rare stuff of course is getting more and more expensive but not being a collector (or a 1/32 WW1 aircraft enthusiast...) this does not affect me much, Not that I never buy rare stuff but I only do it if the kit represents a subject I'm interested in (for example the Akatombo Bristol 188 resin kit I bought a few months ago).

• Like 2

I suspect if I wait a few years there will be a Vintage Classics reissue. Not like I haven't got a 100 other kits on the shelf to do in the meantime !   :)

• Haha 1

It depends what you mean by rare.  Seen any Frog Venoms recently?  As in the past sixty years?  I don't see one coming along *cheap" any day soon.

I recall the story of a modeller who went around collecting the rare Aurora Gotha, then began offering them at an inflated price.  Just before Aurora re-issued it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

It depends what you mean by rare.  Seen any Frog Venoms recently?  As in the past sixty years?  I don't see one coming along *cheap" any day soon.

I recall the story of a modeller who went around collecting the rare Aurora Gotha, then began offering them at an inflated price.  Just before Aurora re-issued it.

That's the risk 😄. Similar to that guy who in 2020 drove around a whole state buying all the hand sanitizer he could find, only for Amazon and Ebay to ban sales of it before he could list it at his inflated price.

• Haha 6

On 13/05/2024 at 15:32, IanHx said:

but why would an already-manufactured, already in the country box be subject to the same inflation  ?

But it's not the same market forces. Second hand prices are (presumably) based on what a market will stand.

If an item is rare (cars, books, dogs, guitars owned by some bloke and even old kits) then it will be priced accordingly. Supply and demand.

A particular price of a particular item may be too much for some but if one person is willing to pay it then it's at the right price. 

17 minutes ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

A particular price of a particular item may be too much for some but if one person is willing to pay it then it's at the right price. 

If you are selling 1, yes.  If you are trying to sell 2.......  prices may vary   :)

Yeah - all the above strikes a chord.

2 things I have seen

1  1/32 ancient Revell Mirage 111 selling at a price just shy of the new Italeri offering.  At about £20-25 I could see it competing for a buyer but at £56???

2  1/32 Revell Ju-88's and He-111's - now second hand and OOP but asking prices now 2.5/3 times the original price?  Wait till they are re-issued by Revell !!

I am sure there are many such examples.  

• Like 1

On the matter of "collectable" kits - I used to wind up collectors in our club by BUILDING the collectable kits I had.

It was rather enjoyable to first entertain their offers and then turn up with the completed model :)

Nowadays being older and somewhat wiser I would probably sell them the kit - at an extortionate price 😜 ...or threaten to build it!

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 2

If you are buying from an individual, OK, but why should he be prepared to accept less than he could get?  Not everyone is prepared to be charitable.  However, if you are buying from a dealer then he is exposed to all the inflated costs the original seller had, and has to make enough money to be able to afford new stock, all of which have risen in price.

As always, CAVEAT EMPTOR.  A newcomer to the hobby will not know that such-and-such a kit is old, or that it is therefore assumed by the possibly better informed (if not always correctly so) to be inferior.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2024 at 9:47 AM, Graham Boak said:

Actaully, I picked up an unbuilt FROG Venom under the table at a model show a couple of years ago for £40, and a built one on Ebay more recently for a fiver plus postage. I was really surprised that no-one else bid on the latter, as it was properly described in the title. There were a few other built ups of more common FROG vintage kits (IIRC Gannet, Hunter, etc) from the same seller that did get more than one bid and went for £15-£20.

The Gotha story is even weirder - around 1971, one guy got Aurora to do a run of a thousand Gothas to try and make a killing on the second-hand market as the kit had been discontinued for about ten years. However, he refused to pay for half of them becuase it wasn't exactly the same as the original (IIRC the manufacturer address on the side included a ZIP code, which had come in since the original was discontinued) and Aurora sold them to the Squadron Shop mail-order house instead, who sold them off at a price that was more than the original $1.50 on the box, but nowhere near the amount that the originals were going for.

• Like 1

In my experience the prices of most kits seem to be softening on eBay.  I'm not finding it so easy to sell stash surplus at what I consider an acceptable price; i.e. at least what I paid for it.  Keep in mind that we've had significant price inflation for new kits, so I would expect this to lift second hand kits as well.

I see the 1/48 Classic Airframes Fairey Gannet has come down from in excess of £200 to £99.00.........one seller selling 3 separate Gannets at that price, in fact one seller is not even going to ask a silly price for his, its listed as buy it now  £30 !!!!  Still cannot beat the Airfix kit though  

There used to be (still is?) a guy selling kits at the Doncaster Toy and Train Fair. Looking at the prices, he was obviously targeting collectors, and basically I ignored him. Not only were his prices high, for some very average and common kits, but even from a collectable point of view, the boxes were really tatty. No one seem to be buying. What I did notice recently is that diecast buses seem to be less in demand, and Hornby 'O' gauge and Dublo prices seem to have halved in some cases (I have picked a few bits of rolling stock to refurbish and modernise, eg better underframes and wheels). Most be a cyclic thing, or nostalgic baby Boomers dying off. 

• Like 1