Accurate Miniatures 1/48 PBJ-1D Mitchell: VMB-433, Solomon Islands, 1944

Posted (edited)

This was sitting in my stash for many years before I decided to get started on it last year. I was driven to action after my son in the USMC sent me some photos of a PBJ in the SoCal Commemerative Air Force collection. Mitchells look good in blue!

I used CMK resin wheels and Vector resin cowlings with the open cowl flaps. The belly radome is from Lone Star Resin, and I made the wire antennas with EZ Line. The propeller placards and the scoreboard markings came from the kit decals, and I made the tiny stencils on the vertical stabilizers using clear decal film and an inkjet printer. All other marking are painted. Thank goodness most PBJ's carried rather sparse markings. The main camouflage colors were painted with Mr. Color lacquers. Weathering was done with artists oils and dry pigments.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by CrowTRobot
duplicated photo
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 4

Great stuff. PBJ are often overlooked and you paid them justice. Cheers.

Excellent work! An unusual and very attractive Mitchell. Most inspiring - I wished I'd get my two Air Force B-25 on the bench finally.

Wow!  That's really a great looking model, and the eye-level view of the aircraft "coming at" the viewer is the real money-shot and shows how well you've brought off the effect.

Just a well built and finished naval B-25.  The finish you achieved is amazing.  Thanks for sharing.

One of the most authentice builds I've seen in a long time. Congratulations!

21 hours ago, Rando said:

Very very beautifully model, how did you get that exhaust streaking?

Thank you! I used dry pigment (dark eye shadow) for the small exhaust stains directly behind the exhaust stacks. The longer streaks on the nacelles and upper wing surfaces are oil leaks rendered with artists oils and dry pigments. I have reference photos of Mitchells showing heavy leaks and stains in these areas. The trick was knowing when to stop without going overboard. My model looks relatively clean compared to some of the period photos of PBJs serving in the Pacific.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrowTRobot said:

Thank you! I used dry pigment (dark eye shadow) for the small exhaust stains directly behind the exhaust stacks. The longer streaks on the nacelles and upper wing surfaces are oil leaks rendered with artists oils and dry pigments. I have reference photos of Mitchells showing heavy leaks and stains in these areas. The trick was knowing when to stop without going overboard. My model looks relatively clean compared to some of the period photos of PBJs serving in the Pacific.

Gotcha, it looks awesome. I am also a huge MST fan btw