Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk.I, No. 316 "City of Warsaw" Squadron

Posted (edited)

It's probably 3 years since I last made a model so I suppose this is a mini-return to the hobby!

The background to this is that my dad was stationed with 233 OCU at RAF Pembrey during his time in the RAF in the 1950s. I had a plan to make models of the aircraft operated by the OCU but that plan expanded a bit to include other aircraft operated from Pembrey. Progress stalled somewhat, then my dad sadly passed away earlier this year and, in an attempt to distract myself, I resumed work on this which I started way back in September last year.

316 Squadron was the last of the Polish squadrons created in Britain during WWII and become operational at Pembrey on 15th February1941 with the Hurricane Mk.I. After a bit of research, P3100 caught my attention. On 26th May 1941 it was being flown by Sgt. Pawel Piotr Gallus. On take-off it seems he was a bit keen retracting the undercarriage resulting in the prop striking the ground and shortening the blades by 4 inches. Sgt. Gallus failed to notice and went on to conduct his planned 90 minute sortie over the sea, only discovering what had happened after landing back at Pembrey! Despite a further hair-raising incident (after transferring to 7 Squadron at Colerne for night-flying training on a training flight he collided with another Hurricane in the pitch dark when the light in a Turbinlite Havoc failed to ignite, both Hurricane pilots bailed out) I'm pleased to say Gallus survived the war (by then a Warrant Officer), got married and lived in Northampton until his death on 19th April 2011.

Anyway, this is my model of P3100. It's the lovely new(ish) Airfix 1/48 Mk.I. I'm sure you've seen the ICM figures a million times before but I found a photo of a 316 Squadron Hurricane with a couple of 316 Squadron personnel - one wearing a peaked cap and another with an Irvin flying jacket, so they seemed appropriate! I couldn't find a 1/48 trolley acc so had to scratch build this one. It's not 100% accurate but I'm happy enough with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And, as a tribute to the man himself, Sgt. Pawel Piotr Gallus,

spacer.png

All the best,

Mark

UPDATE- finished fettling this at last. Added chocks, parachute and dog's ball!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by StephenMG
  • Like 57
  • Thanks 5

Great historical background is always appreciated.  Welcome back to the fold with this really nice build of the Hurricane and a very excellent diorama.  Sorry to hear about your Dad.  Thanks for sharing the kit and the story.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic build, I love the base as well, very realistic.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fishbed said:

Out of interest, what did you use for the groundwork?

Tim

The base is an MDF disc. Onto that I glued a piece of the stuff you buy in garden centres to line hanging baskets. I weighted it down and left it a good while to make sure it was well stuck then ripped most of it off leaving a stuck layer with random grassy looking fibres. That layer I then further trimmed right down to scale length with a scissors. I was tempted to leave it like that but it wasn't quite green enough and I thought needed some more texture - you can just about see the original effect around the very edges of the base. So I heavily sprayed it with 'extra firm hold' hairspray and gradually sprinkled on some Woodland Scenics grass scatter. When it looked about right and the hairspray had dried I gave it another heavy coat of hairspray to hold it all together. The little clumps of dandelions (or buttercups, I'll leave you to decide! 😁) are just small bits of model railway lichen/bushes with the ends picked out with yellow paint.

Hope that helps,

Mark

• Like 1

Great little vignette depicting a nice scene. Love the background story to go along with this nice looking Hurricane 👍

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Stunning work, mate. Brilliant idea with the personnel and the dog. That really adds a nice touch to the scene.     👍  👍   👍

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1