Crusader III Fuel/Water Access Points

Pickles

Greetings Crusader experts.

Not have a handy museum with an example nearby, and having exhausted all the images I can find on the Interweb, I'm hoping someone here can point to where the fuel and water access points were located on the Mk III.

The pic below is the Mk I at Puckapunyal where two access panels can be seen.  Would I be getting close in assuming they are fuel and/or radiator access?  Guessing that they'd be on both sides and that the Mk III would have them in the same locations? 

Thanks for any help.

spacer.png

Ok, just found some images of a scratch built Crusader interior that seems to show caps for fuel tanks and radiators.

From that and some drawings I'm guessing access to the filler caps is via the two small hatches either side of the engine bay. 

spacer.png

Those small hatches would seem to be the covers for the fillers.  You'd need a funnel for the fuel fillers: plenty of opportunity to slop petrol into the engine compartment with those angled fillers!  Awkward for filling too, tucked away in behind the stowage bins with some gap between the up-angled flaps and the fillers below.  Someone didn't think that through.........  I assume the caps were painted different colours for fuel and water but I'm not sure if the colour code of red for petrol and yellow for diesel was in use then.  You can see why cooling was a problem in the desert with very limited airflow.

Yep, I reckon you'd be right @Kingsman, fillers in that location would make it a challenge.  Some more Interwebbing tonight uncovered this colourised pic, which seems to confirm it.

spacer.png

I have since discovered that a "Funnel, Collapsible" was an item stowed in the turret rear bin.  I'd hazard a guess that the one in use here is made from one of the 4-gallon "flimsy" cans used for fuel.  Like the one he's holding.  A rectangular white enamelled funnel is often seen on British AFV's especially Shermans.  Some units made brackets on the rear upper hull to hold it.

• Thanks 1