Yellow Wings Part 2 - Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat

My New Year's resolution was to only build from The Stash and not buy any new kits.   I've done really well!  :thumbsup:  But then I saw the fun that @Mike had with the new Eduard Wildcat and I thought that I want some of that!  So I broke my resolution.  :shrug:   It was only ever a matter of time as the Airfix Bulldog is due for release imminently...  :lol:  

There are lots and lots of interesting schemes for the Wildcat (maybe we need a Wildcat STGB...)  but I thought it would be nice to continue the Yellow Wings theme from my Vindicator elsewhere in this GB.

This is the Weekend boxing of the Eduard 1/48 F4F-3 Wildcat, and what a beauty it is.  :thumbsup:

The first thing to notice is that it's in quite a big box for such a small aircraft.  However...   I feel that the box is a bit too shallow.  No matter how one packs the parts, the box top bulges outwards which could cause problems.  Having said that, there do not appear to be any issues in my kit.

spacer.png

Mike has reviewed this kit elsewhere on BM and has kindly allowed me to link to photos in BM reviews.  They are far better than any photos I could take. Here are the parts.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

sprue4.jpg

sprue5.jpg

Note:   I have the Weekend version of the kit, so there are no masks in mine.

clear.jpg

This is gonna be fun!  :bounce:

Here is the link to Mike's BM review. 

• Like 11

Following this one!

I have a 1/72 F4F-4 Airfix that I’m planning to backdate to a -3 with yellow wings

• Like 2

Like my other entry in this GB, the Accurate Miniatures SB2U, there is a lot of interior detail in this kit.  Hear are the components for the cockpit.  I used Lifecolor UA-819 to represent bronze green.

spacer.png

The wheel bay area was sprayed aluminium from a rattle can which is correct for this early pre-war version.  The later options in the kit have light grey wheel bays.

Again there is a lot of detail in the wheel bay and we can see the first problem.  The firewall assembly is intended to be built up from a number of small parts including lots of fragile struts.  I managed to break the first strut that I cut from the sprue! :wall:   So I'm not going to follow the instruction sequence.  Instead I will buid the wheel bay structure up in the fuselage working from starboard to port.

spacer.png

Here is the firewall in place, allowing me to glue the broken strut into place on the fuseage side.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

The wings are easy to assemble - four parts for each one.  I temporarily closed up the fuselage to see how well the wings fit.  As you can see - perfectly!  :thumbsup:

The instruction sequence shows the wings to be fitted pretty much last - even after the undercarriage.  I'll follow the recommended sequence (for once :lol: ) but I think I will paint and decal the wings before I attach them.

spacer.png

Back to the wheel bay.  Here are some of the components painted up ready for fitment.  Not shown are all the struts.

spacer.png

As you can see, the wheel bay is very busy.  The struts are so well engineered that they simply fall into the correct place.  They can then be secured with a tiny dab of superglue.

spacer.png

• Like 9

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

certainly looks like a very nice model.

It's a wonderful kit.  I'm enjoying it so much that I have plans to build a Wildcat V in the D-Day GB.

Fuselage closed up and the tail parts ready for fitment.  The rudder is slide moulded so that it is hollow.  This serves two purposes:  the plastic is never thick enough to cause concern about sink marks and it allows an insert showing part of the internal structure.  This kit has had a lot of thought put in at the design stage.

spacer.png

The wings slid into position.  I'm sick and tired of trying to mask yellow surfaces with yellow tape...  :mental:  so this time I thought I would try it the other way round.  The red is a generic toolbox red from a rattle can.

spacer.png

Engine parts and cowling painted up and ready for fitment.  The kit has two different cowling rings and three different types of side to cater for the lots of different types of cowling that Wildcats had.

spacer.png

Engine and cowling fitted.

spacer.png

The wings were sprayed with lots of very thin coats of Fiat Broom Yellow from a rattle can.  Again, slipped into place on the spars so we can get an idea of how it will look when completed. :) 

spacer.png

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You have got me really looking forward to tackling one of my Wildcats with how good yours is looking.

I'm considering a second Wildcat in this GB.  Jimmy Thach's aircraft looks good.

• Like 1

Windscreen fitted and masked.  The cockpit, wheel bay and engine have also been masked.  Not forgetting, of course, the two windows in the belly.

spacer.png

Back to the wings.  The undersurfaces were sprayed with various shades of aluminium from rattle cans.

spacer.png

The tail was sprayed with Tamiya XF-69 NATO black while the fuselage stripe and cowling front were sprayed with toolbox red from a rattle can.

spacer.png

Another tease photo.  :)

spacer.png

Coloured areas masked.  Ask you can see, the Copydex isn't dry hence why the model is jacked up on paint bottles to keep the masked areas clear of the paper background.

spacer.png

Of corse, all the painting and masking of the wing and fuselage stripes is unecessary as Eduard provide them as decals. :)

• Like 11

Natural metal panels sprayed with various shades, again from a rattle can.  Then I removed the masking.   The wings are still only push fitted.

spacer.png

It looks as though there is some black overspray under the tailplane.  There isn't.  It's actually the tailplane reflected in the aluminium paint, which I have never seen happen on a model before.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

The yellow wings wildcat is probably one of the best looking things to ever fly. 

Hellcats look pretty good too.  :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Of course, Hellcats never actually carried the yellow wings markings.  This is a Hobby Boss 1/48 kit that I built in 2010 for the Whif GB. What that really fourteen years ago?!?!?  :yikes: 

The Hobby Boss kit is really quite inaccurate so I grafted a spare Eduard fuselage on instead.  I called it an F6F-1 just so I could whif the yellow wings scheme.

• Like 5

Most of the decals applied.  There are lots and lots of different national insignia supplied on the decal sheet, so before applying these I used a couple of the surplus insignia on a paint dummy to see how well the removeable carrier film works.   Well... er...  it didn't.  No matter what I did, I ended up lifting the decals.  :shrug:

So I didn't bother with the decals on the model.   I applied Microset and Microsol as normal and the carrier film just seemed to disappear.  The decals sank into the panel lines beautifully.  After a coat of lacquer I expect they will look like they are painted on.

spacer.png

Nope.  Still haven't attached the wings permanently.  :lol: 

spacer.png

• Like 7