Jump to content

Torture Me Back at your Lair - Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1, FGR.2 and Academy Phantom F4J. One Down, Ripple Next.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Lovely work so far. I'm amazed at your productivity :worthy:


What he said!


I think you need to be careful at the marble stage, if you put the model down directly on your kitchen countertop you’d never find it again.

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Lovely work so far. I'm amazed at your productivity :worthy:

Thanks David,

Quantity over quality I'm afraid.

 

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

The toom look right Alistair !!

Ai Caramba, lettering is poking its nose now.....

:door:

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC,

I should be able to get the Dark Sea Grey down today, get that unmasked then remask for the nose and metallics.

That's the plan anyway.

If life doesn't get in the way again.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mark.au said:


What he said!


I think you need to be careful at the marble stage, if you put the model down directly on your kitchen countertop you’d never find it again.

Thanks Mark,

I always have to make sure i get the cutting mat down first of it disappears completely.:D

I'm still trying to find a 1/72 Victor I laid down there a year ago on the bare surface.

It's just gone or hidden completely.:whistle:

 

Cheers,

Alistair

 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Quantity over quality I'm afraid.

 

A book I read ages ago (I think it was Art and Fear) had the story about a pottery class where there were students who were judged two ways. One group was judged on one great artwork they spent all their time on. The other group was judged based on how many pounds of art they created regardless of quality. The story goes that the group who was judged by weight produced way more work... and were more creative and higher quality.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alistair,

 

Nice save on the DG, and good to see that the emergency did not affect the timely swapping of the breadbin - could've been embarrassing...

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

 

Nice save on the DG, and good to see that the emergency did not affect the timely swapping of the breadbin - could've been embarrassing...

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

It would indeed have been very embarrassing.

It probably took longer to swap the bin out and check the position of the new one with the continuity photos. :whistle:

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I woke up early this morning and had the house to myself as the rest of the lazy so and so's were all snoring i got on with some masking.

 

kzIspls.jpg

 

2wfX7Ls.jpg

 

I forgot to mention it before but the horizontal stabilisers have been painted along with the main fuselage.

 

1UwgtIp.jpg

 

Some more Buff.

 

7n8IwN3.jpg

 

xLNuBmL.jpg

 

Then some thinned Colourcoats Dark Sea grey.

 

D90vQVC.jpg

 

Y9jHRju.jpg

 

Second coat

 

rHJAm4U.jpg

 

uIx0qUO.jpg

 

I'm having to head out now for domestic stuff.

🥁

There may be an unmasking later.

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

I would say that we’re all looking forward to the unmasking.

Excellent work!

Thanks Brian.

 

Here we go.

 

9s4zvLD.jpg

 

RNkN81k.jpg

 

s3vaWJm.jpg

 

I'll attempt to get some gloss black down for the metallics, some gloss aluminium on the intake edges and some Semi-Gloss Black down on the nose tonight but I may run out of time.

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's how to make an Airfix Phantom look good......!! :)

 

Great stuff Alistair, very nice!

 

Keith

Thanks very much Keith,

That is extremely kind of you.

 

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgive me, but is ‘mottling’ the latest painting affectation for modellers?  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TeeELL said:

Forgive me, but is ‘mottling’ the latest painting affectation for modellers?  

Sorry, I've no idea I just like the variation it gives and find it fairly easy to do.

It also saves on post shading which makes me happy.

It's probably not realistic in the slightest but just gives a little visual difference for me.

 

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gloss black, gloss aluminium and semi-gloss black laid down.

 

w5cqurF.jpg

 

8eVV2aF.jpg

 

sfbKEf8.jpg

 

omDyFzR.jpg

 

tyTf4GS.jpg

 

VVzL6Ks.jpg

 

OmIT0jt.jpg

 

DlBvRBL.jpg

 

Finally for today some Xtreme Metals Steel laid down.

 

0O3bxWK.jpg

 

5VpaxlK.jpg

 

k5Hc5ZY.jpg

 

UfkGg73.jpg

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good grief Alistair, swift progress,  that is looking phantastic,  awesome stuff, despite you being encouraged by Roger, changing the breadbin to mess with my head🤪

Great work.

Chris

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alistair,

 

Rapid progress indeed - look forward to seeing your treatment for the metallic areas,

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@AliGauld

 

Yet another great modelling project and a man after my own heart when it comes to the mighty Toom.

 

However I'm afraid you might just have a bit of catching up to do – although this little lot has taken since August 1987 (so specific because I got married in October ‘86 and didn’t get the new modelling room sorted until the following summer {stop sniggering at the back!})

 

The vast majority are Fujimi, 2 are Airfix (what a chance they missed) and the F-4J (UK) {never F-4 F.3!) is an Esci one. I haven’t listed the what-if RF-4C (UK) in 13 squadron markings.

 

XT597 A&AEE 25th Anniversary (1983)                                                   XV424 Alcock and Browne (1979)

XV582 111sqd Black Mike                                                                       XV408 92 sqd blue

XV899 19sqd blue                                                                                   XV424 23 sqd light Aircraft Grey

XT867 767 NAS                                                                                       XT860 POTU

XV439 19 sqd camo                                                                                XV485 29sqd grey

XV439 19 sqd grey                                                                                 XV579 43sqd camo

XT864 892NAS                                                                                        XT864 111sqd grey

XT863 111sqd (IAT ‘83)                                                                           XT899 92sqd grey

XV423 74sqd IAT ‘92                                                                               XT866 POCU

XT865                                                                                                     XV590 892NAS

XV501 23sqd (grey)                                                                                XV428 228OCU grey

XV498 92 sqd (grey)                                                                                XV400 29 sqd (camo)

XV422 6 sqd (camo)                                                                                 XV402 31 sqd (camo)

XV574 111 sqd                                                                                        XT914 74 sqd grey

XV571 43 sqd Grey (chk tail)                                                                   XV571 43 sqd (grey chk spine)

XV437 54 sqd camo                                                                                 XV478 111sqd camo

XT874 43 sqd camo                                                                                 XV495 41 sqd camo

XV466 D 1435 flt                                                                                      ZE350 74sqd

 

Eleven variations of XV470.

17 sqd camo, 2 sqd (black/white markings), 2 sqd (black/red markings), 228OCU (camo), 92 sqd camo, 14 sqd (camo), 56 sqd (camo), 56 sqd (grey), 19 sqd (grey), 43 sqd (grey) , 228OCU/64 sqd (grey)

 

I think I have got all variations of XV470 – with photographic proof of all her iterations except in 17 sqd markings. There are a few variations still to do – the non-flying Tiger in particular – mainly big zaps and some of the test a/c with high-viz markings.

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Camo looks great Alistair. Notes taken on the method as I must get a camo RAF Phantom on my shelf.

 

23 hours ago, iainpeden said:

However I'm afraid you might just have a bit of catching up to do

 

Crikey Iain, that's some collection. If Alastair doesn't mind (?) could we have a small pic? It must look incredible!

 

Charlie

 

(only 4 Phantoms on display)

 

PS...

On 5/23/2024 at 4:26 PM, Spookytooth said:

can't wait until I have full broadband and follow this epic

Living in Somerset I can only sympathise. Have you heard of 'Connecting Devon & Somerset' :rofl2:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2024 at 3:38 PM, iainpeden said:

I'm afraid you might just have a bit of catching up to do

Blimey! Wish I had that much shelf space…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2024 at 23:08, bigbadbadge said:

Good grief Alistair, swift progress,  that is looking phantastic,  awesome stuff, despite you being encouraged by Roger, changing the breadbin to mess with my head🤪

Great work.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Unfortunately I don't need much encouragement. :whistle:

 

On 23/05/2024 at 01:38, Dunny said:

Alistair,

 

Rapid progress indeed - look forward to seeing your treatment for the metallic areas,

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

Thanks Roger,

You won't need to wait any longer.

 

On 23/05/2024 at 16:26, Spookytooth said:

Looking great Alistair,  can't wait until I have full broadband and follow this epic 

 

Simon 

Thanks Simon,

They'll have invented a new form of speedy fast internet by the time I finish this lot.

 

On 24/05/2024 at 15:38, iainpeden said:

@AliGauld

 

Yet another great modelling project and a man after my own heart when it comes to the mighty Toom.

 

However I'm afraid you might just have a bit of catching up to do – although this little lot has taken since August 1987 (so specific because I got married in October ‘86 and didn’t get the new modelling room sorted until the following summer {stop sniggering at the back!})

 

The vast majority are Fujimi, 2 are Airfix (what a chance they missed) and the F-4J (UK) {never F-4 F.3!) is an Esci one. I haven’t listed the what-if RF-4C (UK) in 13 squadron markings.

 

XT597 A&AEE 25th Anniversary (1983)                                                   XV424 Alcock and Browne (1979)

XV582 111sqd Black Mike                                                                       XV408 92 sqd blue

XV899 19sqd blue                                                                                   XV424 23 sqd light Aircraft Grey

XT867 767 NAS                                                                                       XT860 POTU

XV439 19 sqd camo                                                                                XV485 29sqd grey

XV439 19 sqd grey                                                                                 XV579 43sqd camo

XT864 892NAS                                                                                        XT864 111sqd grey

XT863 111sqd (IAT ‘83)                                                                           XT899 92sqd grey

XV423 74sqd IAT ‘92                                                                               XT866 POCU

XT865                                                                                                     XV590 892NAS

XV501 23sqd (grey)                                                                                XV428 228OCU grey

XV498 92 sqd (grey)                                                                                XV400 29 sqd (camo)

XV422 6 sqd (camo)                                                                                 XV402 31 sqd (camo)

XV574 111 sqd                                                                                        XT914 74 sqd grey

XV571 43 sqd Grey (chk tail)                                                                   XV571 43 sqd (grey chk spine)

XV437 54 sqd camo                                                                                 XV478 111sqd camo

XT874 43 sqd camo                                                                                 XV495 41 sqd camo

XV466 D 1435 flt                                                                                      ZE350 74sqd

 

Eleven variations of XV470.

17 sqd camo, 2 sqd (black/white markings), 2 sqd (black/red markings), 228OCU (camo), 92 sqd camo, 14 sqd (camo), 56 sqd (camo), 56 sqd (grey), 19 sqd (grey), 43 sqd (grey) , 228OCU/64 sqd (grey)

 

I think I have got all variations of XV470 – with photographic proof of all her iterations except in 17 sqd markings. There are a few variations still to do – the non-flying Tiger in particular – mainly big zaps and some of the test a/c with high-viz markings.

 

 

Yeah, not even going to attempt anything like that.

Mind you after my FAA Phantom I was only ever going to do a Leuchars one.:D

 

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Camo looks great Alistair. Notes taken on the method as I must get a camo RAF Phantom on my shelf.

 

 

Crikey Iain, that's some collection. If Alastair doesn't mind (?) could we have a small pic? It must look incredible!

 

Charlie

 

(only 4 Phantoms on display)

 

PS...

Living in Somerset I can only sympathise. Have you heard of 'Connecting Devon & Somerset' :rofl2:

Thanks Charlie,

If Iain wants to post pics of his Phantoms in this thread I have no problem with that at all.

I might get some ideas.

 

1 hour ago, Galligraphics said:

Blimey! Wish I had that much shelf space…

Yup, me too.

 

 

I've been back at work since Thursday and have only managed bits and pieces since then,

Last night the horizontal stablisers got some Tamiya Lacquer Gun Metal.

 

2qdnWzs.jpg

 

jsM7c87.jpg

 

Tonight I got the chance to spray some Duralumium, Dark Aluminium, Pale Burnt Metal, Burnt Metal and Jet Exhaust.

 

u30yjLt.jpg

 

d3R40ul.jpg

 

Followed by a dry fit to see how thing look.

 

gc8KjuA.jpg

 

2gh8jbA.jpg

 

9mItrWA.jpg

 

je4Mjxw.jpg

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cracking work Alistair,  looking good fella.

Metalwork looks great too.

 

32 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Just for now. This was taken a couple of years ago - current F-4 count is 202 (in 1/72! About half are boxed in the loft.

 

49028517433_2bf57374c8_c.jpgPicture 071 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

Blimey tgat is an amazing collection of F4s, great work.

Chris

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Just for now. This was taken a couple of years ago - current F-4 count is 202 (in 1/72! About half are boxed in the loft.

 

49028517433_2bf57374c8_c.jpgPicture 071 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

Jings, Crivvens, Help Ma Boab!!!

 

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking work Alistair,  looking good fella.

Metalwork looks great too.

 

Blimey tgat is an amazing collection of F4s, great work.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Isn't it just.

 

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...