How do you define a stash?

17 hours ago, CH-53D said:

The thing about my stash is that at the time of acquisition, I intended to build every single one that came home with me, and thought that a plausible life goal.  Pretty much all had a colour and marking scheme picked out, and many have notes to that effect written inside the box lid.

My Spitfire obsession is easily explained, my father was an RAF Spitfire pilot during WWII.

The Phantom obsession came from a trip to America as a 6-year old in the 1960s. I was taken to an air show at the Naval Air Station in Corpus Christi and saw the Blue Angels and service Phantoms performing, all that noise and smoke made a big impression on a young mind.

I grew up watching the Irish Air Corps flying about, which started my later kick to build everything they have operated.

I also tended to go on "binges" because of something I saw or read, so for a while it would be WWI fighters, then "between the wars", then US aggressor aircraft, or whatever.  The book Flying Colours was an early buy, and it inspired many purchases and builds.

I am fortunate in brides, as mine has no apparent negative opinions on the hobby.  If I were to put things in rather less than polite terms, she really isn't entitled to one as we only married last year, so the house and what I had already chosen to put in it were mine, and she knew what she was getting herself into.  And I did provide her with ample space for her own hobbies, so things proceed happily.

Are you me? 🤣

The binges you describe are my 'hyperfocus', i.e. 'new thing'

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Uncontrolled Stash Expansion is a real thing. I can count 8 1/48th Airfix Lightnings, 6 Airfix Tucanos, 6 Matchbox Twin Otters and no less than 10 Revell BAe 146s. Plus sundry other multiples.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When Humbrol went bust in 2006, I feared that I wouldn't see some Airfix kits again. As a result, I bought seventeen HMS Belfast kits in a job lot. I intended to use them for lots of conversions etc. Eighteen years later I have built a total of two, sold fifteen and no longer have any HMS Belfast kits in my stash!

Dave

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I started modelling and buying models in the early 1960s and have never stopped, each year buying more than I built so the stash is now large.  I don't know how many kits, into the 250 plus easily.  My wife is equally fanatical about her own hobby so we accept our purchases without question.  I always bought the kits believing I would get round to building them at some time. Now into my 70's I need to thin out the collection and just build my favourites.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rob G said:

Uncontrolled Stash Expansion is a real thing. I can count 8 1/48th Airfix Lightnings, 6 Airfix Tucanos, 6 Matchbox Twin Otters and no less than 10 Revell BAe 146s. Plus sundry other multiples.

2 hours ago, davecov said:

When Humbrol went bust in 2006, I feared that I wouldn't see some Airfix kits again. As a result, I bought seventeen HMS Belfast kits in a job lot. I intended to use them for lots of conversions etc. Eighteen years later I have built a total of two, sold fifteen and no longer have any HMS Belfast kits in my stash!

Dave

Not wanting to sound to boast (and back again to the "rude to ignore a cheap price") - 30 years or so back one completely modelling-unrelated stock clearance shop had acquired a ton of the Heller Cadet Noratlases (yellow box). They ditched them at 1.00 DM each. Now knowing this isn't a stellar kit, I had fears they would be dumped as landfill, so I showed pity and bought 20. The crazy thing is that just about every job lot I bought since then had another one of them... A bit like Starfix I assume (sneak them in the lot to get rid of them) - though Starfix apparently has become collectible. So anyone interested in a Cadet Noratlas, drop a line. I do expect no queue...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

+++. So anyone interested in a Cadet Noratlas, drop a line. I do expect no queue...

In my earlier days we went past Hohn (LTG 63) en route from Hamburg to Föhr (before the BAB 7 was completed), soooo - maybe - but I'm not sure how much (or "many"?) DM I have left.

• Like 2

I was getting a little bit concerned about my stash size but then I read this thread now I'm not worried one bit.  I grew up in Dublin and watched the Irish Air Corps (IAC) daily flying over my house.  Then a few years ago I watched the Siege of Jadotville about a company of Irish UN Peacekeepers in the Congo.  In the movie they get strafed by a Fouga CM 170 Magister similar to ones flown by the IAC.  This started me down the rabbit hole I now find myself.  I found an Airfix with IAC decals and bought it.  Now I have approx. 105 kits in 1/72 & 1/48 representing almost every aircraft flown by the IAC, missing about 6 which were either never made or are out of production.  I managed to get my hands on decals for almost all so the search continues.  However, Max Decals is due to release some later this year so fingers crossed they will cover the ones I'm missing.   I have along the way acquired a few cheap kits of non-IAC types to practice on.

So whilst I await the completion of my new house I've been gathering kits, paints, masks, tools, books, magazines etc. in preparation for the commencement of building.  Not too worried about what the better half has to say, despite her being a retired US Navy Chief would/could have me waterboarded or drone attacked if she felt like it as this hobby has me at home unlike my other passions Rugby & Scuba Diving.  So whilst I might be in my Mancave I'll be at home and sometimes knowing I'm there if she needs is good enough to avert getting nagged.  Also having a couple of 1/350 model of ships my wife served on also helps😃

I have a lot of fellow members to thank for their assistance with my stash gathering and I must compile a list to thank them all properly. 

• Like 3

Philly, don't let me forget to send you the 1/48 Max Decals we talked about!

• Like 1

On 11/05/2024 at 09:22, Macsporran said:

Not to mention the accruing growth in value - most of them were bought under £100 and are now worth 3 or 4 times what they cost, so when I pop my clogs my kids will have a very pleasant surprise. (Hopefully I'll build a few more though first.)

TVT8f5a_md.jpg

I see a slight flaw in that master plan. It may be a good idea to give them some idea of the current value of the kits involved. 

An old friend of mine passed away a couple of years ago. He had a habit of buying a kit and then adding the aftermarket essentials of resin, photo-etch and transfers etc. He would then place all the accessories into the kit box, thereby increasing the value of the original kit. He said that he did this to hide the amount that his hobby cost him each month and to keep the stash at a  level that his good lady wouldn't become suspicious of.

When he died suddenly, his wife and daughter distributed all of the unbuilt kits to their local charity shops. When his friends found out, it was too late to do anything about it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, cngaero said:

I see a slight flaw in that master plan. It may be a good idea to give them some idea of the current value of the kits involved. 

My two sons and son-in-law are keen modellers, so awareness of value of the kits, decals, AM, tools, books, etc, won't go unnoticed.

Edited by Macsporran
typo
  • Like 4

On 13/05/2024 at 09:24, Abandoned Project said:

OK. How did you end up with 4 1/24 Typhoons?

Damn, you beat me to it! Please, how did you end up with that many 1/24 Typhoons?

12 hours ago, Jedi Delio said:

Damn, you beat me to it! Please, how did you end up with that many 1/24 Typhoons?

I was young(er), and didn't need the money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

I was young(er), and didn't need the money.

I quite like the gentle irony between your username, Tempestfan, and your Typhoon collection 😄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Whenever stashes are discussed, I'm always reminded of the phrase "wealth hoarded to the harm of its owner".

They are maybe a small thing in the scale of things, but I sometime look at my stash of unmade kits and wonder whether the money, time and emotional energy spent on creating it might have been better spent on something else.

Edited by 3DStewart
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

In modern terms, my stash must look like a vast investment of funds, but one must remember that the majority of them were purchased in the 1970s-1980s, and most while I was still single. 

Back then, Monogram P-51s, Bearcats, Curtiss biplanes, etc. were priced under $1 each.  One of my Italeri Do-217 kits still has the price tag on it - it cost me $3.25 retail!

In relative terms of cost versus income, modelling was a great deal less extravagant back then.  I will still buy the odd kit here or there, but the prices keep me from strolling into Kings Hobby in Austin and walking out with a bag of ten or more kits, like I did as a much younger man!

I wonder if cost keeps a lot of youngsters from getting started in the hobby now?  I grew up buying Airfixes (all were Airfix to us, regardless of who made them!) for around two shillings apiece (yes, before the decimal money came in), and getting a birthday fiver from a kind uncle meant a whole squadron could be bought, including "the big uns" like a B-17 or Lancaster.

Of course, the kits themselves are way more detailed now, you don't see kits with two pegs for a rather anemic pilot to be glued to as an interior.  All that detail and extra plastic costs money to produce.

spacer.png

Edited by CH-53D
picture addition
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, kiseca said:

I quite like the gentle irony between your username, Tempestfan, and your Typhoon collection 😄

I would certainly have bought at least the same amount had Airfix decided to do a 1/24 Tempest.

Actually, the seller is to blame. He was a fairly large trader especially in Eastern European and Chinese kits. He did split his offers between BIN and auctions. After the fifth or so auction for any given kit, the bids tended to decline drastically. Would have to check my notes, but I think the first Typhoon came in around 75€, and the last slightly over 50. This "incentive system" also made me end up with two Trumpeter TA-3Bs, for around 20€ each - the other versions cost much more. A lot of plastic for little money... Apparently, his business model wasn't sustainable, so he is no more.

• Like 2

I would also have a 1/24 Tempest if they did one. The Typhoon is nice, but the Tempest Mk V was the prettiest version of that family. I haven't bought the Typhoon kit. I've been tempted but it's too much money for something that, every time I looked at it, part of me would wish it was a Tempest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kiseca said:

the Tempest Mk V was the prettiest version of that family. I haven't bought the Typhoon kit. I've been tempted but it's too much money for something that, every time I looked at it, part of me would wish it was a Tempest.

You do not expect any objections from me, meludd... I guess the Tempest looks too similar to the Typhoon for Airfix to consider one in 1/24. Not that the prospective buyers in that market segment could v tell them apart much easier than Airfix folks.