Posted (edited)

Hello everyone … I will be attempting to regain my mojo by building Tamiya’s 1/72 F4D Skyray. Hoping to do it in these markings of VF-74 “BeDevilers” circa 1959 aboard the USS Intrepid. The Ford was first flown on Janurary 23rd 1951, last flight in active service was in 1964. I think this fits into the theme of the build quite nicely. Hopefully my build will get very close to these marking's. I will be piecing together what I need from my spares. There are a few sheets out there but my attempt's to buy them over the years have failed. 

2bn6TCv.jpg

iBKhrTi.jpg

bBYKmwV.jpeg

NpF4cpS.jpeg

cFsRlCg.jpeg

Please feel free to ask questions or post comments. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 16

You'll have a lot of fun!

What a great kit and such a pleasure to build.

JR

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 9:25 AM, Karearea said:

This will be great to watch. As it’s a Tamiya kit, at least you know you won’t be bedeviled by fit issues!

Well played 👏

AW

• Haha 3

On 5/9/2024 at 7:55 PM, Karearea said:

This will be great to watch. As it’s a Tamiya kit, at least you know you won’t be bedeviled by fit issues!

Rimshot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great Subject Dennis. I built the 1/48 version many moons ago.If this kits like that one you shouldn't have any trouble at all getting your mojo back.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Love that shape!

Thanks everyone.

So do I, Douglas knew there stuff didn't they ? Mine doesn't fit perfectly though so will need some minor filling. Mostly around the forward fuselage/wing join and intakes. Probably my fault as I had to do a wee bit of work to get a little bit of weight in. No big deal though just a smidge of filler here and there. 

• Like 2

Hello everyone … Im still working on this slowly. The fuselage is completely built up now. Just need to add a smidge of filler on a couple spots and sand/polish/re-scribe till Im happy. 

RKYNajZ.jpg

s0DpObC.jpg

There is a tiny little spike, probe, or antenna on the tail which Im sure will not survive the build. 

5sTrl9W.jpeg

V7za5F3.jpeg

Im also doing tons of wheels right now. The blue are for my Sabre build. The green for an RF-4 phantom. The yellow for an ANG F-15 build, and finally the red are for this build. 

Dennis

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Big wheels keep on turning. Rollin down the river. The 'ray is coming along nicely.

It’s actually fully polished and ready for paint. Im just dealing with a family crisis at the moment. Finding time to do the work needed on this and a few others will be hard. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It’s actually fully polished and ready for paint. Im just dealing with a family crisis at the moment. Finding time to do the work needed on this and a few others will be hard. 

Wishing you all the force you guys need 👍🏽

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

That's quite the line-up Dennis. I hope everything works out at home.

Actually it did so a Thank you to anyone that sent well wishes. My Mother in law went into ICU 2 weeks ago with severe pneumonia, in & out of consciousness, and was intubated. She kept fighting and pulling the tube out so they had to restrain her. Last week on Tuesday my wife's family got her permission to go into palliative care. This less than two months after my Father in law passed at 90. She was so tired of fighting everything she was giving up. So we’ve been holding our collective breaths since then. Yesterday she came out of the coma and asked for food and doctors say the pneumonia is gone. She beat the reaper again. Shes had two strokes since 2019. Spent more than a year in rehab during covid. She just wont quit so Im very happy for swmbo’s family that shes back. We’re getting ready to go visit her now. 

• Like 4