Revell 1/72 B-17F Either Shamrock Special or Knockout Dropper!

Hi all,

I thought I started a build thread on this years ago, but can't find it anywhere. Somehow, it's back on the bench! This is the kit I reviewed back in 2012:

I started to address the most noticeable issues first, the nose blister and the nacelles.

The nacelles: I started these ages ago, but essentially, the openings look too small, so I opened them out a bit more. Perhaps I've opened them too much, but I think they look better now. I always thought that the Hasegawa nacelles looked spot on so used an old one of them as a reference:

The one on the left is the kit part, the second is the modified one, the third being the Hasegawa part (pictures taken several years ago):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As they are currently:

spacer.png

The wings are assembled now too, thought I'd do some of the easy stuff first!

spacer.png

And started on the interior. I was planning to have the waist gun windows open so adding some additional detail in there as well as the nose. The bomb bay doors will be closed so I've not painted the bomb bay.

spacer.png

The nose blisters on the Revell kits are horrendous, I think the plastic is thicker than the real thing! To get round this, I'm using an old blister from a deceased Hasegawa kit as the starting point. The fuselage needs a little sanding at the bottom to align with the shape of the blister and of course, the cut-out for the single 50mm in the upper part needs adding too. I've done this already, but not taken a photo yet. Both Knockout Dropper and Shamrock Special have two windows on the upper part of the nose not included in the Revell kit so I will either cut these out or be lazy and just paint them black to 'imitate' them instead. 

Cheers

Neil

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress, the interior is now pretty much done. Just need to add the windows then get the fuselage closed up. The instructions suggest fitting the ball turret before closing the fuselage up, but I'm intending to fit at the latter end of the build even if I have to trim the ammo boxes to get it through the hole. I used some of the Quickboost oxygen tanks, the Eduard cockpit etch set and some scratch building. Most of it won't be seen so I'll spend most of the effort bringing the exterior to life. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Most of it won't be seen

Lovely work on the interior Neil. All that beautiful detail, as you say, most won't be seen, but still worth doing. The oxygen bottles look splendid.

But you've made me feel guilty. There's a Revell B-17G sitting on my shelf of shame. I lost interest several years ago when I read that the interior wasn't actually green (as I'd painted it) but should be natural metal. I should revive it as you have your B-17F and see if I can repaint the interior.

Regards,

Charlie

• Like 4

Lovely - good to see a master modeller on one of these kits. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about the ball turret ammunition boxes - wartime B-17s never had these fitted and Revell used a preserved example for reference which had the later style of ball turret from a Dominator. Just cut them off and slide the mount in from the bottom when the time comes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Johnson said:

Lovely work on the interior Neil. All that beautiful detail, as you say, most won't be seen, but still worth doing. The oxygen bottles look splendid.

But you've made me feel guilty. There's a Revell B-17G sitting on my shelf of shame. I lost interest several years ago when I read that the interior wasn't actually green (as I'd painted it) but should be natural metal. I should revive it as you have your B-17F and see if I can repaint the interior.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie,

I personally wouldn't bother repainting as the main bits you can see sometimes had the green padding in so that could be your rational for the green! Look forwards to seeing some progress on it :)

19 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Lovely - good to see a master modeller on one of these kits. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about the ball turret ammunition boxes - wartime B-17s never had these fitted and Revell used a preserved example for reference which had the later style of ball turret from a Dominator. Just cut them off and slide the mount in from the bottom when the time comes. 

Thanks Tom, quite fancy doing a HK 1/48 F model at some point too. That's good to know about the ammo boxes, I'll chop them off :)

Cheers

Neil

• Like 3

Nice work!  👌   The interior looks fantastic .... 

Keith 😁