I'm joining in with the Dora Wings Caudron C.630 Simoun, a quintessentially French light tourer and mail plane that was built in quite large numbers in the mid thirties. It rose to the top of my must build list when I saw this beautiful example at the Musee de l'Air et de l'Espace at  Le Bourget last year:

Caudron Simoun

F-ANRO, in the colours of Air Bleu, a pre-war French air mail operator, is one of the marking options in the Dora Wings kit, so that's the one I'll be building. 

Kit contents:

Dora Wings Caudron Simoun

Nice plastic (although there's a fair bit of flash), crisply moulded, with some PE and masks included. I've made a start and assembled the interior:

Dora Wings Caudron Simoun

Some classic short run features are present here (including the flash) - no locating pins, vague instructions in places, and some parts that are a bit trickier to assemble than they could be (eg the seats with four individual legs each). But everything seems to fit so far and it's shaping up to be quite a fun build. The kit includes a full engine and the instructions would have me spend a fair bit of time assembling it - but there doesn't seem to be much point as it's not going to be visible, so I'm going to see if I leaving it out causes any problems.

more soon

Julian

• Like 12

Welcome Julian … Should make for an interesting build. French Interwar aircraft were either good looking (this one) or not so much (Amiot 130). Those looked more like a flying bus shelter than a plane. 

• Haha 2

Nice subject choice Julian and a promising start to the assembly process.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'd better get a shift on with this. I've applied some paint to the interior, also built up the instrument panel (mostly PE and decals), and got the windows - which didn't fit -  into the fuselage halves. The clear parts were all too big for the spaces they were supposed to go in (better than the other way around I suppose) so needed some careful adjustment. A new tool I bought the other day - an SMS ceramic scraper - came in very handy.

Here's where I'm up to:

Caudron Simoun

more soon

Julian

• Like 6

You've got to love this Group Build.  Yet another gorgeous subject :popcorn:

Nice work so far Julian.  I hope those side windows are well glued in!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Things have moved on pretty quickly and I probably should have taken a few more photos as I went, but the fuselage is together and the wing is on. The fuselage had some fit issues, mainly due to the firewall which seemed to be too big. Once that was fettled it went ok, and the wing is an ok fit.

Caudron Simoun

cheers

Julian

• Like 6

3 hours ago, zebra said:

Things have moved on pretty quickly and I probably should have taken a few more photos as I went, but the fuselage is together and the wing is on. The fuselage had some fit issues, mainly due to the firewall which seemed to be too big. Once that was fettled it went ok, and the wing is an ok fit.

Caudron Simoun

cheers

Julian

Well thats starting to take shape now Julian isn't it ? 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats starting to take shape now Julian isn't it ? 

Fit issues aside - and I think I've probably dealt with all the major ones - it's a pretty simple kit (particularly if you don't bother with the engine that nobody's going to see) so it should go together pretty quickly from here. Biggest job to come is going to be deciding on the right colour - it's a metallic blue, but the metallic element of it is fairly subtle, so I'm going to try a few different things. I think I'll have to paint some plastic spoons soon!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zebra said:

it's a metallic blue, but the metallic element of it is fairly subtle, so I'm going to try a few different things. I think I'll have to paint some plastic spoons soon!

Maybe pick your base blue and add 5-10% aluminum ? You can judge there whether to add or reduce.  

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 4:52 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe pick your base blue and add 5-10% aluminum ? You can judge there whether to add or reduce.  

I think that's probably where I'll end up. It might only need a few drops of aluminium.

A bit more progress today - wings cleaned up and engine cowling closed up. Next job is getting the windscreen on, which is going to require a bit of fettling as the part's a bit too thick at its base.

Caudron Simoun

more soon

Julian

• Like 6

Getting close to paint time:

Caudron Simoun

Still not finding much that fits without adjustment although the undercarriage spats have gone together ok (going to have to drill bigger holes in the wings for them to go in though) and the control surfaces didn't need much adjustment. The windscreen needed the bit at the base thinning quite a lot, a small shim at the top, and quite a lot of careful work with a sanding stick to blend it in properly.

Despite the fit issues I'm quite enjoying this one. It's a quirky, attractive aeroplane and it's going to be quite distinctive on the shelf when it's finished.

more soon

Julian

• Like 3