Event excuses…

Get on the phone to Vladimoor Purrrrrrrrrtin, tell him he looks like a Hobbit, start World War 3 and the subsequent destruction of most living things on the planet and don't then go to your family-event. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

PS: To some people, this might be a TINY over-reaction to your situation.... Others may beg to differ. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Get on the phone to Vladimoor Purrrrrrrrrtin, tell him he looks like a Hobbit, start World War 3 and the subsequent destruction of most living things on the planet and don't then go to your family-event. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

PS: To some people, this might be a TINY over-reaction to your situation.... Others may beg to differ. 

Knowing my family, that seems to be an entirely proportionate plan…

Just now, brianthemodeller said:

Knowing my family, that seems to be an entirely proportionate plan…

Oh, Lordy.....

Chris. 

My understanding is legend has it that they were being sent into battle with only about ten hours on type, rather than ten hours solo. Like most legends it may be just that, and the exception rather than rule. 

A bit late, but a few years back I was unfortunate enough to be 'honoured' to be appointed best man for my mates wedding. The fear of having to be funnier than Peter Kay for 10 minutes sent me into a proper state. I spent more time trying to figure a way out of it than thinking about what to say. My best idea was to get arrested the day before for something serious enough to be put in a cell for 24 hours, but not serious enough to have long term repercussions. Given that was my best idea, I of course ended up having to be there and make a tit of myself making a terrible speech.

• Haha 3

For a best man or father of the groom speech, Rowan Atkinson can't be beaten. 

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2024 at 10:12 PM, fatfingers said:

When faced with such situations (which are fortunately very rare) I just say no! Works for me 😁

If you can make firm and simple "no" work, that's the best.

Making excuses just gives the other people something to work with and use against you. 

They may not like "no", but they won't be able to do much with it.

• Like 1