1:48 Spitfire F Mk.VIII

Morning All,

As Mr Mojo has been somewhat capricious of late, I rather fancied a little indulgence. Although I've been increasingly drawn to gentlemans' scale, I do still have a few 1:48 kits in my modest stash. So, what could be more indulgent than an Eduard Spitfire - Profipack indeed!! I have built a few of these, so the build is a well-trodden path, although this is a rather unusual version of the iconic aircraft. Here's the box art:

20240502-173231.jpg

What immediately jumps out is those pointy wingtips - that's not normal! I've been hankering after this lovely 'high altitude' colour scheme for a while, so there is no contest in the choice of scheme:

20240502-173255.jpg

This is an aircraft of 32 Sqn RAF, based in Foggia, Italy in early 1944. Here's a photo of JF364:

gzspit.jpg

I have seen this scheme completed with a red spinner, which I think will be a nice cherry on top of this most aesthetically pleasing scheme (which more than compensates for the weirdy-beardy wingtips, to my mind). Here's the sprue shots:

20240502-173334.jpg

20240502-173427.jpg

20240502-173542.jpg

Eduard's usual exquisite decals:

20240502-173511.jpg

So, off we trot for a bit of Eduard fun!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8

Lovely choice Roger, looking forward to this.  

I have planned a Mk.IX in similar scheme from Foggia too using the Italeri decals . 

Watching with interest.

:popcorn:

Chris

• Like 1

Nice choice of subject.  FYI, it is actually an F.VIII - Eduard made the mistake of thinking that because it has pointy wingtips, it must be an HF.  Either that or they assumed that the shoppers would think it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely choice Roger, looking forward to this.  

I have planned a Mk.IX in similar scheme from Foggia too using the Italeri decals . 

Watching with interest.

:popcorn:

Chris

Thanks Chris - it's a lovely scheme!

56 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Nice choice of subject.  FYI, it is actually an F.VIII - Eduard made the mistake of thinking that because it has pointy wingtips, it must be an HF.  Either that or they assumed that the shoppers would think it.

Well noted Bob - I shall modify the thread title accordingly...

• Like 1

• Dunny changed the title to 1:48 Spitfire F Mk.VIII
7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Corks! 

You've caught my interest with this one as well.

More azure blue excellence.

Can't wait.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, it seemed rude not to continue the Azure aesthetic...

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Oooh! A pointy wing Spitfire, don’t see many of those here. I’m in.

John

Welcome aboard John! 

• Like 2

Great choice Roger.

I currently have this kit primed and ready to be painted in the same scheme so will follow your progress keenly. 

James

18 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Great choice Roger.

I currently have this kit primed and ready to be painted in the same scheme so will follow your progress keenly. 

James

It surely is a comely scheme James - I look forward to seeing yours take shape...

• Like 1

Great choice 👍 

Hope this cures you lack of mojo, I feel sure it will go a long way towards it. 

Watto. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Following a protracted absence from this thread, I thought it high time some plastic mangling ought to be carried out! A few of you may be aware that the reason for my absence has been a pressure project for a significant family birthday - a 1:600 3D printed model of HMAS Hobart. Here's a teaser for those who aren't really interested:

HMAS-Hobart-Complete-Side-220524.png

Here's a link to the ongoing WIP if anyone IS interested!

Now I am awaiting the 3D printed parts (via a work colleague), I'm sat typing this on a Wednesday as I've taken a cheeky annual leave day, and have a chance to pick up this beauty again. Last night I had a rare venture into the city to watch Peter Hook and the Light play the entire greatest hits of Joy Division and New Order. I saw NO several times in the 80s (too young for JD, unfortunately), but this show was an absolute revelation. 3 hours back-back, played with the utmost passion and energy, and sounding better than NO ever did (in my opinion). if you are so inclined I highly recommend seeing them if you can. Anyway, apologies for the thread drift...

This is a bit of a catch-up as I've been doing bits & pieces on the Spit. Here's the main cockpit components:

20240505-121950.jpg

And with the lot assembled, with harness added and an oil wash:

20240519-105043.jpg

The fuselage went together without any issue:

20240519-121820.jpg

Here's the undercarriage bay, which comprises no less than 7 pieces for each bay:

20240519-131822.jpg

The wing fit is a bit fiddly but ends up with a nice seamless joint:

20240519-134743.jpg

Today I shall get on with the empennage and engine covers - I may see if I can leave this separate so I can fit the exhausts after painting - we shall see!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 12

Awesome scheme and cool pointed tips!

On 03/05/2024 at 21:11, Dunny said:

Mr Mojo has been somewhat capricious of late

Hope this project helps! I need to kick my own mojo in the butt. I haven't done anything since early April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, marvinneko said:

Awesome scheme and cool pointed tips!

Hope this project helps! I need to kick my own mojo in the butt. I haven't done anything since early April.

Thanks David - actually doing something different has reinvigorated my mojo! Maybe there's a hint in there...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That’s a very nice cockpit, Roger.  You made a better job of those wheel wells than I did on my Eduard Spitfire.

Unfortunately, PHaTL aren’t coming to Canberra, I would have jumped at that one.

Edited by mark.au
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mark.au said:

That’s a very nice cockpit, Roger.  You made a better job of those wheel wells than I did on my Eduard Spitfire.

Unfortunately, PHaTL aren’t coming to Canberra, I would have jumped at that one.

Thanks Mark - one of the best gigs I have ever been to (not so frequent these days, admittedly). Jump if you do get the chance!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Great to see the Spitfire on the go again Roger, its going together well and is looking great .  Glad that the printing is underway on the ship too, can't wait to see the unveiling of those. 

Sounds like you had a cracking night, sounds right up my street too. Awesome.

Great work all round

Chris

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see the Spitfire on the go again Roger, its going together well and is looking great .  Glad that the printing is underway on the ship too, can't wait to see the unveiling of those. 

Sounds like you had a cracking night, sounds right up my street too. Awesome.

Great work all round

Chris

Thanks very much Chris! If I'm lucky I may get the 'real' Hobart under way this weekend,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Chris! If I'm lucky I may get the 'real' Hobart under way this weekend,

Cheers,

Roger

Excellent stuff,  looking forward to seeing this .

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

That cockpit is looking fine and the fit looks flaming good.

Good luck with the Hobart.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair - I'm hoping that good planning will preclude the requirement for too much luck, but we shall see!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose!" -Harry Potter

The wheel wells were a bit intimidating, but I found that if I thought about it and took my time it worked quite nicely.  Of course, then I got distracted...

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How did I miss this build?  All the usual suspects at the bar already…

Great build already going on and good to know it is mojo restoring rather than mojo draining (or maybe it’s just you are a good builder and finisher Roger who makes it look easy).  I have been wondering about including the Eduard Spitfire in the stash for a while.  Looking at you build progressing is making me think I should.  I’ll need to sort out my FAA connection or maybe do a Brendan Finucane scheme..

So I’m going to prop myself up on the corner of the bar here, grab a beer, heckle and gasp in admiration in equal measure…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another one late to the party here, but you're making fine progress, Roger :) 

James

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

After a bit of a protracted break I'm back in the aircraft saddle! Just as a reminder, here's where I'd got to last time:

20240522-135507.jpg

In order that I can add the exhausts after painting the engine cover is just blu-tacced in place - the glazing has been masked and glued with Krystal Kleer:

20240616-141335.jpg

After some minor cleanups and filling of gaps it was time to splash some primer around. This revealed the usual minor defects. including a rather visible seam along the nose. Here we are after cleanup:

20240616-152446.jpg

And following another coat:

20240616-153759.jpg

I next pre-shaded with Nato Black:

20240616-160823.jpg

Now to lay down mist coats of Azure Blue - here's early in the process:

20240616-161104.jpg

And here we are with the pre-shading faded to my satisfaction:

20240616-161644.jpg

I'm writing this to allow the Azure to dry suitably before I mask up for the MSG, so I may get that applied today whilst cooking a roast!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 10

Great to see this one back on ghe go Roger, crikey it's nearly finished already !!!

I bought an Eduard XVI after you started this thread, SWMBO wants a word:fight:😉

I can't wait to see the upper coats go on, this is a great scheme.

Cracking work fella

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 3