Interesting F-86As

Every man and his dog will be looking for a different F-86A scheme to model in the next few months (I've got a couple tucked away), so here are a few obscure ideas...

Fragmentation bomb containers:

001 test (2)

Psychedelic drop tanks with multi-point pylons:

001 test (1)

In-flight refuelling drop tanks:

001 test (4)

Or maybe tip tanks (six-foot nose probe just visible too):

001 test (12)

There are many others...

• Like 8

Then the short-lived Wright-Patterson Sabre team, which used dayglo paint in its early days and comprised an F-86A-1, an F-86A-5 and an F-86E-1. The E-1 flew lead because it had a nose probe!

001 Wright (1)

001 Wright (3)

001 Wright

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Duncan can you please stop this as I already have enough A scheme models I want make.  My wallet is asking to go into protective custody !

ps I will mention this;

16094423906_947e26a829_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Every man and his dog will be looking for a different F-86A scheme to model in the next few months

But I don't even have a dog!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a dog, but I've not seen tip-tanks on an F-86 before.  Any more pictures of those?  I didn't find any while inconveniencing the interwebs, the only one I found was in a link back to this page!

1 hour ago, CH-53D said:

I have a dog, but I've not seen tip-tanks on an F-86 before.  Any more pictures of those? 

NAA spent a lot of time and effort trying to get these to work. Various configurations were used, including this version with 'beaver tail' aft end and circular-section bespoke tanks. Other flights were made with 120-gallon tanks mounted at 90-degrees to the vertical, also in different configurations of nose-out 'canted' positions. A number of these configurations looked good but ultimately I think the added complexity and weight meant that the underwing location became the favoured option, and probably a great deal easier in terms of jettison mechanics and aerodynamics.

49-1301 (8)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Julien said:

Duncan can you please stop this as I already have enough A scheme models I want make.  My wallet is asking to go into protective custody !

ps I will mention this;

16094423906_947e26a829_b.jpg

Even better, Nellis had a number of F-86As in standard Air Training Command colours but with red nose sections and used as aggressor-type assets. I'm not a fan of movie schemes but the 'Korean War' F-86A in the film "Bombers B-52" is quite cool.

• Like 1

Thanks for the picture and details! 

Even after all the years I've spent looking at aircraft, there is always more information to be learned.   🙂

On 5/3/2024 at 11:28 AM, Sabrejet said:

Every man and his dog will be looking for a different F-86A scheme to model. 

I doubt it for 2 reasons:

1. No pictures of any RF-86A birds.

2. No kits of an RF-86A, or conversions to make one.

:hmmm:

Larry

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Larry

1. I haven't posted pictures because if there's no kit....

2. With only (6+1) conversions, it's unlikely to be a mainstream kit. I suspect the aftermarket might; or when the 1/72 kit comes out use the Fujimi parts as the basis of a conversion.

There is also at least one RF-86A scheme on a 1/72 (and 1/48?) decal sheet, so it's not that badly catered-for.

One could equally level the same 'no kit' argument at many of the gorgeous F-86A schemes yet to be done; or indeed the fact that there was no F-86A kit AT ALL in 1/48 and only the Matchbox thing in 1/72. (The Lindberg "F-86A" has left the chat)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

. (The Lindberg "F-86A" has left the chat)

:D I do have one tho!

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Not even a Sabre-Dog (F-86D)?

Please!  I don't have a K, though, which I'll probably correct at some point.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Larry

Hi Larry,

There are pictures of RF-86As 'Ruby Pearl' (S/N not visible) and 'Kathy' 48-0257 on page 58 of the Squadron Signal Walk Around #21 on the F-86 Sabre. There are also pictures in this site on the 4th FIW which has the Project Ashtray aircraft before and after conversion. This states that 'Ruby Pearl' was 48-246 and was written off on 9-5-1952 (5 September). There's also lots of infomation on this site for the 8th/15th TRS.

Microscale issued sheets 48-166 and 72-387 that include a RF-86A "48-246" with a Sylvester cat reading instructions for using a Brownie camera. This jet has been updated on AC72-0059 /AC 48-0059 but Microscale use the wrong serial number and call it a RF-86E on the later sheet 🙄. According to the photos here the actual S/N is 48-187 so these could be replaced using a generic sheet.

I'm hoping that the cryptic message in the Rumourmonger thread refers to a RF-86A package:

The breakdown of the section just forward of the wing root lends itself nicely to the camera bay set up 😎

HTH,

Jonathan

1 hour ago, XV571 said:

Hi Larry,

There are pictures of RF-86As 'Ruby Pearl' (S/N not visible) and 'Kathy' 48-0257 on page 58 of the Squadron Signal Walk Around #21 on the F-86 Sabre. There are also pictures in this site on the 4th FIW which has the Project Ashtray aircraft before and after conversion. This states that 'Ruby Pearl' was 48-246 and was written off on 9-5-1952 (5 September). There's also lots of infomation on this site for the 8th/15th TRS.

Microscale issued sheets 48-166 and 72-387 that include a RF-86A "48-246" with a Sylvester cat reading instructions for using a Brownie camera. This jet has been updated on AC72-0059 /AC 48-0059 but Microscale use the wrong serial number and call it a RF-86E on the later sheet 🙄. According to the photos here the actual S/N is 48-187 so these could be replaced using a generic sheet.

I'm hoping that the cryptic message in the Rumourmonger thread refers to a RF-86A package:

The breakdown of the section just forward of the wing root lends itself nicely to the camera bay set up 😎

HTH,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I have had that Microscale sheet in my decal stash for decades, in perfect shape. It's just waiting for a 1/48 RF-86A kit OR conversion to be released. 

But, at 71 years old, I don't really expect anybody to do a 1/48 model of a photo-reconnaissance RF-86A while I am still alive. 

No "Aces" involved. :hmmm:

Larry

2 hours ago, XV571 said:

There's also lots of infomation on this site for the 8th/15th TRS.

HTH,

Jonathan

I like the fact that they quote me at the end (even using quotation marks), but don't mention the source! Ah well....

Incidentally, my comment, "....as the basis of a conversion" above, referring to the use of RF-86F kit parts for an RF-86A is because the underside fairings are different shapes on these two variants. On the RF-86F they were less extensive since they only had to accommodate two cameras (one per side), shooting near-enough vertically; on the RF-86A they had to accommodate a more bulky arrangement, with the camera mounted horizontally. 

That said, I think it should be relatively simple to do most of the fairing shaping off-aircraft and then glue them on once the heavy shaping had been done. 

• Like 1